• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nations League

One day the coin will drop and people will realise most of this England squad are not the best players in their club sides and none would get in a best in Premier League XI. Too many average overseas players in our game blocking homegrown players getting a chance, regularly see team benches with 5 or more of these players, not got a problem with top players but do we need so many journeymen?

We even played pretty well! I'm not going to be stupid and say Ødegaard isn't a good player, but he hasnt exactly set the national team on fire. Nusa was incredible again. I feel a bit sad every time I see him now thinking we could've got him.
Seems like the others take a lot more responsibility without Ødegaard. We played quicker and more direct without everything having to go through him, and him dropping deep to collect the ball, and then make 735 short passes along the way forward.
The system we played was 10 times better and fitted the players. With shoehorning Ødegaard into the team, a lot of the others are shifted away from their best position.
Ødegaard is a good player, but Norway look a better balanced team without him
I've also seen signs of the same with Arsenal.

i do not disagree at all, however that so called GOLDEN GENERATION that Sven managed was overhyped, overated and so full of themselves, more so then others who have followed.
I always chuckle at the Facebook posts when they throw up that team and ask "how did they not win anything?".

Gerrard and Lampard in the middle of the park were two great players but neither of whom could control or dictate a game (and people as knowledgeable as Fergie and Bentitez have stated as much), there was no left sided midfielder so Scholes or Joe Cole had to fill in while the goalkeeper (James) was decent but ropey. Throw in a squad lacking great depth, the fact that the players admit they carried club rivalries to international gatherings and it's no surprise that they won nothing especially considering some of the other teams around at the time.

I always chuckle at the Facebook posts when they throw up that team and ask "how did they not win anything?".

Gerrard and Lampard in the middle of the park were two great players but neither of whom could control or dictate a game (and people as knowledgeable as Fergie and Bentitez have stated as much), there was no left sided midfielder so Scholes or Joe Cole had to fill in while the goalkeeper (James) was decent but ropey. Throw in a squad lacking great depth, the fact that the players admit they carried club rivalries to international gatherings and it's no surprise that they won nothing especially considering some of the other teams around at the time.

Do not disagree with that at all. It became a circus what with all the wags and hangers on and the players really fell into it. From what i remember most of the papers were showing more of the wags and how FAMOUS AND AMAZING they all were then the actual football.

So were the other top sides too.. Think how much better Brazil, Spain, Italy, Germany were back then

I'd give you Brazil and Italy...but Germany and Spain? Not sure they were much better...their upturns happened after the Sven period IIRC

Agree with the gist about England hype being what is was though.

I think yesterday's result is being blown out of proportion too - again because of hype

Went off at half time. Can't figure out if there was any injury, Hopefully resting him for the next game in a few days.

Sounds like Wales didn’t show up for 2nd half and threw away their 2 goal lead.

Sweden also held to a draw despite taking a 2-0 lead.

Hopefully Johnson and Kulusevski won’t be continuing that trend when they come back from international duty.

Last edited:
Back