• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

Poch needs to make a big decision with Dembele in Jan and be ruthless. He came back from injury a while ago and then took ages to get (supposedly) match fit, yet could only complete 60 mins today. Great player, but having a player in the squad who cant play two games in a week (two games per month is a struggle for him) and who needs a pre-planned sub, is a real problem. We either have to carry an extra CM in the squad, in which case any appearance from Dembele is a bonus, or just get rid of him/add him to the coaching staff. Shame, because he's incredibly talented, but he cant be relied upon any longer
Let's not write him off just yet....

He did have a hip problem before but it's worrying he can't do a full 90 minutes. Is he being nursed back or is there a longer term problem is the question? Either way he went missing with the rest of them today.

He did have a hip problem before but it's worrying he can't do a full 90 minutes. Is he being nursed back or is there a longer term problem is the question? Either way he went missing with the rest of them today.

I think it's a long-term problem, no? I remember reading somewhere that it was something he was going to have to manage for the rest of his career.

I think it's a long-term problem, no? I remember reading somewhere that it was something he was going to have to manage for the rest of his career.

I've no idea, the club wouldn't release that information so we can only guess. He seems to train regularly (as evidenced by him being in lots of the training pictures) but if he can play 1 game a week then I think that's fine. If it's an hour ish a week or every other week than we have to re-consider our options.

Let's not write him off just yet....

See my comment 'We either have to carry an extra CM in the squad...'!!! We're really exposed at the moment given TA is out which has meant that Dier has had to shift into defence which leaves us with one fewer CM....where we're also missing Wanyama and therefore left with just WInks and Dembele as out and out CMs. Its therefore not great if one of those two cant player two games per week and needs to be nursed through

See my comment 'We either have to carry an extra CM in the squad...'!!! We're really exposed at the moment given TA is out which has meant that Dier has had to shift into defence which leaves us with one fewer CM....where we're also missing Wanyama and therefore left with just WInks and Dembele as out and out CMs. Its therefore not great if one of those two cant player two games per week and needs to be nursed through

Not really
We have 5 Centre midfielders and arguably 6 depending on who we play there for 2 positions generally

We have winks, dembele, Dier, wanyam and arguably Erisken and Alli who have played there this season

How many more do we need?

Your argument will be that we have to move players around because of injury and that’s true but athsg because we manage with a mediums size squad to suit Poch plans

We could have someone here on decent money who plays a few games a year but that’s pointless in this day and age

Not really
We have 5 Centre midfielders and arguably 6 depending on who we play there for 2 positions generally

We have winks, dembele, Dier, wanyam and arguably Eriksen-sen-sen and Alli who have played there this season

If you look at player's best positions then we have 4: Winks, Dembele, Wanyama and Dier though I agree that others can cover there.

Dier is playing CB a lot at the moment because TA is out. With just two injuries in relevant positions (TA and VW), then we're down to Winks and Dembele as natural CMs, which is light even before you consider Dembele's fitness issues.

However even before you get on to questions about numbers and balance of the squad, the bigger question is really whether Dembele can be counted on at all - it feels like its fast becoming a situation like Ledley. He's been back from injury for ages but only makes fleeting appearances.

Only Poch and team really know what state he's in, but from the outside it looks like he cant be relied on any more

If you look at player's best positions then we have 4: Winks, Dembele, Wanyama and Dier though I agree that others can cover there.

Dier is playing CB a lot at the moment because TA is out. With just two injuries in relevant positions (TA and VW), then we're down to Winks and Dembele as natural CMs, which is light even before you consider Dembele's fitness issues.

However even before you get on to questions about numbers and balance of the squad, the bigger question is really whether Dembele can be counted on at all - it feels like its fast becoming a situation like Ledley. He's been back from injury for ages but only makes fleeting appearances.

Only Poch and team really know what state he's in, but from the outside it looks like he cant be relied on any more

I agree with the sentiment around dembele

A decision will be getting closer I’m sure

He hasn’t lasted many 90 minute games under Poch and that’s an ongoing issue

We do have other options like going to 4 at the back or put Davies as LCB and Rose at LB for instance. We also have Foyth, I'd hope for someone that cost anywhere between 8-10m that they are capable of playing 4/5 league games in their first season. Dele could also drop deeper and we could play Son alongside Eriksen as well.

I'm hoping Wanyana is back in a couple of weeks if he's back in training.

Not really

We have winks, dembele, Dier, wanyam and arguably Eriksen-sen-sen and Alli who have played there this season

How many more do we need?

Your argument will be that we have to move players around because of injury and that’s true but athsg because we manage with a mediums size squad to suit Poch plans

We could have someone here on decent money who plays a few games a year but that’s pointless in this day and age

We tried to bring in an additional CM in the transfer window - Barkley a long term target and when he picked up his injury we tried to bring in a player from Barca (?) on loan - i think that probably suggests Pochettino wants to strengthen in this area and we are currently a man light

Barkley must be getting back to full fitness now, wonder if we'll go in for him in January.

Balague seems to think Gomes is highly rated so doubt we would be able to sign him now - http://www.skysports.com/football/n...e-solution-to-barcelonas-one-position-problem

I think I'm right in saying that Gomes was on Barca's list of players who could be sold last summer, however he wanted to stay and fight for his place. He hasnt played much since the summer - occassional start and sub appearances - so worth a try for him again, particularly given our results against Real should have improved our status in Spain

I have upset some fans here and at games with my opinion on Dembélé over the years, i have always believed that he promises so much (his ability is not in question) but rarely lives up to it. On top of that he has always struggled with fitness and it seems to be getting worse, i said in the summer that Poch needs to look at alternatives if the injurys do not cease ( and i fail to see any sign that is/will happen).

I have upset some fans here and at games with my opinion on Dembélé over the years, i have always believed that he promises so much (his ability is not in question) but rarely lives up to it. On top of that he has always struggled with fitness and it seems to be getting worse, i said in the summer that Poch needs to look at alternatives if the injurys do not cease ( and i fail to see any sign that is/will happen).

I think that is now winks I really do

Problem is Dembele needs game to keep fit so it’s a catch 22

I think I'm right in saying that Gomes was on Barca's list of players who could be sold last summer, however he wanted to stay and fight for his place. He hasnt played much since the summer - occassional start and sub appearances - so worth a try for him again, particularly given our results against Real should have improved our status in Spain

Gestifute client - one of Jorge Mendes' lads. I'd rather we stayed clear, given that fact.

Back