• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Are you actually serious with this? I’m stunned ! It’s like I must have learnt a completely different language at school to some of you. Can you translate the below in to GG English for me, what does he really mean? Or are we conveniently ignoring these quotes?

“I think one thing is to make clear: all the coaching staff and managers always want to improve the squad -- sometimes signing players and sometimes adding players from the academy.

"Of course we are always trying to improve our squad, because football is dynamic. Every six months you need to do something to refresh and to wake up, or to change the dynamic in the dressing room.

"But if you cannot achieve what you need or want, then to sign because you need to make happy people or act like all the clubs, I think that's not common sense. We showed that we don't care and we are not politicians or populists.

"It's easy to say 'I'm going to sign three players and oh look, the people are happy because we signed.' But if we don't need the players who are available then why are we going to sign them? That's the point."
My point was based at this thread going back 6 months maybe more, not talking specifically about his latest quotes....

My general feeling with him is that theres no BS, he is pretty straight forward.

Also that people take him as absolutely literal, when it seems to me the intention is not as they like to read it.

Look at what he is saying - the club is focused on many things, other than the team, and he would prefer all focus was on the team and winning.

Well...duh? Of course he would prefer that. I assume he is also well aware of the benefits down the line of going through this period, and Im sure if you sat and chatted to him yourself he would have a balanced view on it. Yes, frustrated - also understanding.

I tend to defend the club on things like this, not because of CL or any nonsense like that, rather in balance to people that go way OTT on the other end of the scale.

There are a few faces on here that positively revel in any negativity, and seem to actively seek it out.

If someones right, they are right, I cant argue with that - most often though? I dont think they are right, more like they are a drama queen.

Just last week Poch was saying we had targets, we had money, but the deals couldnt be done. He seemed very calm and accepting of the situation. Funny how nobody took that and ran with it, isnt it?
Of course mate, I don't disagree. Poch being the classy guy he is will be 'accepting' of the situation. But a coach of his worth isn't going to carry on simply accepting the way we go about things for that much longer. Im hoping the new stadium allows us to change the way we go about things, but maybe that was me being naïve because the consensus seems to be that wont change much at all for quite a while....

What we can't see is what questions he was asked in this particular press briefing that led to him giving those comments. That would help provide some context.

And no, he didn't have to sign a new contract, but he did. He is not naive, he knows the club's fiscal limitations.
And again, I am not saying he is happy with the situation, just that his actual words are not the same as saying the club is not interested in winning titles.

The questions make little difference. First, as someone else pointed out, this is the Guardian. They’re fairly reliable. Secondly, Pochettino and every other manager knows that if they say something like this, regardless of the question, it’s going to be reported like it has been reported. These fellas don’t say stuff like this for no reason. It’s usually to send a message.

Of course mate, I don't disagree. Poch being the classy guy he is will be 'accepting' of the situation. But a coach of his worth isn't going to carry on simply accepting the way we go about things for that much longer. Im hoping the new stadium allows us to change the way we go about things, but maybe that was me being naïve because the consensus seems to be that wont change much at all for quite a while....

No matter who you are, how high up you are or what your situation - it is inevitable that at some point things wont "work" any more and parting of the ways will happen.

I dont think Poch will be here forever. I do think things are working for he and us well enough he will be here for a while yet though.

One thing I forgot to say about how he speaks, IMO - he speaks very often about that moment right there. Not in a "big picture" way, rather - right this second what am I feeling? So yeah, frustrated, wanting more etc - of course. Does that mean its a disaster though? Or just that right there and then thats what was on his mind?

Lets be honest, the stadium - none of us know anything. People assume BIG SPEND = BIG DEBT = NO MONEY, others assume BIG INCOME = MORE MONEY.

My inclination is to trust Levy. They guy knows his stuff. I *think* we will have more money to spend. I believe Levy will set it up such that the debt wont be higher than the increased revenues and that we will be better off financially*.

I also think that spend is most likely to reflect in increasing our wages to keep talent, and spending more on prospective talents (like Sanchez), rather than us going out and blowing £100m on a star player.

Thats just my thinking though, and I fully accept I know fudge all about what is likely, possible or even intended to happen.

*Obviously this is while debt is being paid. Sooner or later it will be paid off - and THEN we should really see an increase in funds available.

No matter who you are, how high up you are or what your situation - it is inevitable that at some point things wont "work" any more and parting of the ways will happen.

I dont think Poch will be here forever. I do think things are working for he and us well enough he will be here for a while yet though.

One thing I forgot to say about how he speaks, IMO - he speaks very often about that moment right there. Not in a "big picture" way, rather - right this second what am I feeling? So yeah, frustrated, wanting more etc - of course. Does that mean its a disaster though? Or just that right there and then thats what was on his mind?

Lets be honest, the stadium - none of us know anything. People assume BIG SPEND = BIG DEBT = NO MONEY, others assume BIG INCOME = MORE MONEY.

My inclination is to trust Levy. They guy knows his stuff. I *think* we will have more money to spend. I believe Levy will set it up such that the debt wont be higher than the increased revenues and that we will be better off financially*.

I also think that spend is most likely to reflect in increasing our wages to keep talent, and spending more on prospective talents (like Sanchez), rather than us going out and blowing £100m on a star player.

Thats just my thinking though, and I fully accept I know fudge all about what is likely, possible or even intended to happen.

*Obviously this is while debt is being paid. Sooner or later it will be paid off - and THEN we should really see an increase in funds available.

I think Poch is someone who thinks it is important to be honest, he's a very principled guy and probably views the way he is speaking as a form of therapy. Some people are fine putting on a show, some people like to be as genuine as possible at all times, and feel much better when they've said what they really think. As you say, Poch talks about how he is feeling in the moment and a bunch of conclusions are drawn from it that may not be the case.

Some people really look for there to be an example of it being Poch vs Levy, either because that's how they've been conditioned to think a Chairman / Manager relationship goes or because they don't like ENIC or for what other reason, but I don't even see his quotes like that. Previous quotes have also been reported that he is 'nudging the board' when it didn't actually read that way to me at all.

In this case, he is talking about frustrations generally and takes aim as much at the players as any other group. He's frustrated about lots of things - the fact that we haven't yet won a trophy, the fact that we have made silly mistakes in big games, the fact that we still aren't in the stadium yet, and the fact that we couldn't make the moves we wanted to make in the transfer market this summer. I just take issue with the idea that this means he is taking aim at Levy, rather than simply taking aim at life.

I will say, to constantly try and compete against clubs with more money, it's a hard task. It's a slog. To then suffer our injuries, and to then be told the stadium is delayed again, all of this stuff would make anyone go 'bloody hell, is it all worth it!?'. But Poch, absolutely 100% knows the club he is at. He's spoken about our constraints and our strategy with enough understanding a number of times before to suggest that none of what is happening will be a surprise. But that doesn't mean he isn't human, and doesn't mean he won't get frustrated. But, he also loves it, because he knows this is where he adds value. The club moves to the beat of his drum. The squad loves him. They listen, he improves them, everyone loves him. He is someone that cares about a family atmosphere, about doing the right thing, about the collective being more important than the individual. So while he no doubt gets frustrated from time to time when operating at Spurs, he is also at a place that is good for him right now.

He'll probably feel much better now that he has gotten a lot of this stuff off of his chest. For some people, they get energized by being able to vent. I'm sure he'll move on at some point, but I'm also sure he wants to see us into the new stadium and to see what is possible.

Football managers I found are a little over analysed as the media try to extract the maximum from what is really an attempt by the media to fill space by the clubs.
Most managers outpourings do not bear to much scrutiny.
Don’t over stress everything from Pochettino rabbits about, leave that to the pundits who will do this tonight!

Listen to Mr G. Neville he is spot on tonight!
Spit the dog is a total numpty!

Last edited:
If your going throw your toys out the pram when people just post some info.
Get a grip

Why didn't you post it in the Spanish football thread?

What does it have to do with our manager, who has only recently signed a lucrative contract extension?

Maybe you get a grip and stop trying to create discord.

What does it have to do with our manager, who has only recently signed a lucrative contract extension?

If you can’t cope with that bit info when Real having been rumoured to be after Pochettino,.
I would suggest you lock your self in toilet With no internet access! for a couple of weeks.

Because no-one has ever signed a contract extension and then moved on.

I’m sure Levy will have put the usual clauses in.

Any prospects in the Madrid under 8’s we could get on loan for a season?

I have said it before, but I don't think Madrid would go for Poch. He's done a great job with us, but he's won phuck all and in the big games, we are often quite sh1t. Madrid don't keep any manager for more than 5 minutes, why go for a "project" guy like Poch when Conte is available and has won the league at both clubs he's managed?

Maybe they will go for Poch, I just don't see it though.

Back