• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

The amount of slack Poch is being given compared to the vitriol given t some of our past managers is puzzling. People see the 2 wins against Chelsea and Arsenal as something way more then they were. Of course, its great to win those games, but to put it into context, Saudi Sportswashing Machine beat Chelsea and Stoke beat Arsenal also. We cling onto those 2 wins for some shred of hope for the future while ignoring the bigger picture.

Yes we beat Arsenal. They will end the season in a champions league spot, runners up even, and GHod forbid might also win the fa cup again. Do you think they give losing to us a second thought.

Yes we beat Chelsea. They will end the season as champions. Do you think they give losing to us a second thought compared to winning the league.

We have HUGE problems and Poch has done nothing to suggest anything will change next season. In fact, we will probably be a lot weaker. People live in the hope that we will easily offload the likes of Ade, Vlad, Soldado, Kaboul, Paulinho etc when the players just as likely to leave are Loris, Eriksen, Verts. If Kane bangs in another 30 goals next season and we are still pottering aimlessly around 6/7th and a huge bid comes in for him will he hang around.

I refuse to believe that "some" of the things written here, even the people writing them genuinely believe. I totally understand that some have championed Poch so much from the start that they dont want to lose face by admitting the obvious. It was exactly the same with AVB. We could lose 8-0 to Saudi Sportswashing Machine and there would be positive posts. Of course, its all about opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs. Im sure Poch is a lovely guy, I certainly dont dislike him. I just dont think he is the man to take us forward. I have said repeatedly that I am happy for Poch to prove me wrong, but with each passing week Im seeing the opposite.

Not being able to motivate or get any sort of peformance out of players who "will" still be here next season (despite what some may think) is my biggest worry.

With your expectations, the person able to take us forward does not exist.

The amount of slack Poch is being given compared to the vitriol given t some of our past managers is puzzling. People see the 2 wins against Chelsea and Arsenal as something way more then they were. Of course, its great to win those games, but to put it into context, Saudi Sportswashing Machine beat Chelsea and Stoke beat Arsenal also. We cling onto those 2 wins for some shred of hope for the future while ignoring the bigger picture.

Yes we beat Arsenal. They will end the season in a champions league spot, runners up even, and GHod forbid might also win the fa cup again. Do you think they give losing to us a second thought.

Yes we beat Chelsea. They will end the season as champions. Do you think they give losing to us a second thought compared to winning the league.

We have HUGE problems and Poch has done nothing to suggest anything will change next season. In fact, we will probably be a lot weaker. People live in the hope that we will easily offload the likes of Ade, Vlad, Soldado, Kaboul, Paulinho etc when the players just as likely to leave are Loris, Eriksen, Verts. If Kane bangs in another 30 goals next season and we are still pottering aimlessly around 6/7th and a huge bid comes in for him will he hang around.

I refuse to believe that "some" of the things written here, even the people writing them genuinely believe. I totally understand that some have championed Poch so much from the start that they dont want to lose face by admitting the obvious. It was exactly the same with AVB. We could lose 8-0 to Saudi Sportswashing Machine and there would be positive posts. Of course, its all about opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs. Im sure Poch is a lovely guy, I certainly dont dislike him. I just dont think he is the man to take us forward. I have said repeatedly that I am happy for Poch to prove me wrong, but with each passing week Im seeing the opposite.

Not being able to motivate or get any sort of peformance out of players who "will" still be here next season (despite what some may think) is my biggest worry.

We've had 2 bad performances, in dead rubber games, by players playing their 52nd and 53rd games of the season (excluding internationals).

It's such a hyperbole to see it as any more than running out of steam a little at the end of a very good season

With your expectations, the person able to take us forward does not exist.

It's quite funny when people who are showing no patience at all get upset that other people are being a bit more patient.

Pochettino situation seems quite standard to me. Some people haven't liked/rated him from the start and some started being negative already this fall, but in general most fans are relatively patient seeing as we're in his first season. Been the same with most of our managers, I suppose Sherwood was an exception as quite a few disliked him from before he got the job.

It's quite funny when people who are showing no patience at all get upset that other people are being a bit more patient.

Pochettino situation seems quite standard to me. Some people haven't liked/rated him from the start and some started being negative already this fall, but in general most fans are relatively patient seeing as we're in his first season. Been the same with most of our managers, I suppose Sherwood was an exception as quite a few disliked him from before he got the job.

I'd rather take what enjoyment I can from Spurs than spend all my time thinking up reasons we are crap and everything will only get worse.

Good call

The only thing different I would like to see from Poch is a plan B.

We're in the top 6 of most supported clubs in this country, we're in the top 6 of wealthiest clubs in this country and we're in the top 6 of most successful clubs in this country.

So what's wrong with finishing in the top 6?

I find it strange that most people conclude that it's either a failure or an achievement when infact it's an expectation being met. We're a top 6 club, that's where we should be, I'm amazed by those who see Levy and the club as a whole as a bunch of postulating fools who are to blame for not meeting unrealistic expectations in a league which is a monopoly.

If you want to be the best you have to win trophies, not just qualify for the CL. From what I have seen so far Poch is doing a good job not a great job but then again not bad one either. I think we need to stay the course with this one.

We've had 2 bad performances, in dead rubber games, by players playing their 52nd and 53rd games of the season (excluding internationals).

It's such a hyperbole to see it as any more than running out of steam a little at the end of a very good season

like who?????

Vertonghen with (40), Lloris and Eriksen with (39) have made the most starts over the season so far....Kane has made 33 starts, Chadli 28, the rest are in and around the 20s

like who?????

Vertonghen with (40), Lloris and Eriksen with (39) have made the most starts over the season so far....Kane has made 33 starts, Chadli 28, the rest are in and around the 20s

Dont let the facts get in the way of a good excuse ! ;)

Except they WERE NOT dead rubber games, and only fans or a manager with a loser mentality would think they were. If we had won those very winnable games we would today be just 2 points of a champions league spot. Just 2 points, and you call them dead rubber games.

And even if they were, looking totally clueless and being unable to motivate the players and basically looking like a club who have "given up" is unacceptable.

Except they WERE NOT dead rubber games, and only fans or a manager with a loser mentality would think they were. If we had won those very winnable games we would today be just 2 points of a champions league spot. Just 2 points, and you call them dead rubber games.

And even if they were, looking totally clueless and being unable to motivate the players and basically looking like a club who have "given up" is unacceptable.

When you talk brick like this I don't even bother to consider your points. I just think:

What a tard.

Just to be clear, I wholeheartedly support that. We had something to play for. Whether we make it or not in the end is a different matter: I'm still inclined to avoid judging Poch this season, and I think I've seen some forward progress from the side over the course of the past eight months, so overall, I don't really care whether or not we make the CL.

But by GHod, calling the last two games 'dead rubbers' is doing a disservice to the position we were in heading into them. We mucked it up, simple as that. And while I'm far more inclined to put the blame for that at the feet of the brilliant, eternally supportive man who left Poch with the squad he had at the end of both transfer windows, the fact that we screwed up can't really be debated effectively, imo.

Bentaleb and Mason play the early forward ball. None of our other midfielders do so. That's what they offer. Attacking football, quick switch from defence to attack.

None of our other midfielders play a high pressing game either.

What they essentially offer, is a fit to the head coach's philosophy that the other midfielders in the squad get nowhere near.

I do t agree. And even if they do, it isnt effective, pretty much every game we barely test the keeper, eriksen, chadli etc don't get involved as much, because there is no link from midfield. I find it staggering anyone can defend oir Central midfield. It's the worst central midfield in such a long time. It's frightening.

Just to be clear, I wholeheartedly support that. We had something to play for. Whether we make it or not in the end is a different matter: I'm still inclined to avoid judging Poch this season, and I think I've seen some forward progress from the side over the course of the past eight months, so overall, I don't really care whether or not we make the CL.

But by GHod, calling the last two games 'dead rubbers' is doing a disservice to the position we were in heading into them. We mucked it up, simple as that. And while I'm far more inclined to put the blame for that at the feet of the brilliant, eternally supportive man who left Poch with the squad he had at the end of both transfer windows, the fact that we screwed up can't really be debated effectively, imo.

Oh it can IMO. Absolutely.Of course, the starting point of the debate would need clarifying; are we talking from August or are we talking pre-Burnley away and the subsequent collapse of Emirates Marketing Project?
I'll take the debate from August.
You screw up if you have the talent, mentality and personnel to BE in the top 4.
It is clear we do not. Yet.
And I take the view that Pochettino is in the full-gory process of deciphering who's worth it and who isn't. I actually think he almost over-achieved at moments this season., but it's clear to me that he wishes to build a platform for future not short-term. That he cares more about leaving a solid platform of work than instant legacy (always admirable IMO).
I will say that it is my opinion that had we scraped top 4 this season, we would've not only got caned in it next season, we'd have been distracted enough to fail to re-qualify. It could've been a regressive move in many ways, with some players lingering who clearly are not what we want, need to are clearly not good enough.
I agree, no games are dead-rubbers, and I guarantee that Poch is using them to isolate his views on one or two players he has been undecided on.
But the truth is we are not good enough for top 4 and probably have not been all season. In fact most here predicted 5th. I certainly 'hoped' we'd be top 4 but never felt we actually would be.

I do t agree. And even if they do, it isnt effective, pretty much every game we barely test the keeper, eriksen, chadli etc don't get involved as much, because there is no link from midfield. I find it staggering anyone can defend oir Central midfield. It's the worst central midfield in such a long time. It's frightening.

I will say this again because time and time again it seems to slide by. Perhaps no-one agrees, but allow me to use your post to try and make the point generally one more time mate (i.e. not personally aimed at you per se ;-) )

Look at this line-up.

Kane

Eriksen Chadli Townsend

Mason Bentaleb

Rose Dier Fazio Chiriches

Vorm

The most important positions on the pitch are Eriksen (or Chadli when he switches) and Townsend's for our system. And IMO, those two positions have consistently failed to deliver since February. If they do not function, if they are not productive in both quality and movement, the entire front-four freezes up and the strain on those central two in midfield becomes that much greater. And when you're playing CBs t right-back, when your CBs have not played much football together or (in Fazio's case) much at all for weeks on end, then you will have massive problems.

IF you wanted to band-aid the situation, you'd play Dembele in the hole instead of Chadli, but for whatever reason it is clear he will be gone in the summer (I personally think this is about the furthest back you could get away with playing Dembele personally, he slows it down painfully) Dier at right-back as he is more natural there and Chiriches at CB for the same reason. But again, he obviously wants Dier as a CB in the future and thus wants him to get the experience, whereas you can safely say that Vlad does not figure in his future. My feeling on the CMs is that Mason is beyond tired and desperately needs a rest, and that Bentaleb is also tired but able to power through that much more.

I think an upgrade on Mason is possible (let's face it, a Schneiderlin would be precisely that) but am happy enough with a rested Ryan next season. However the criticisms of Bentaleb baffle me. He is absolute complete, and utter, quality. And I think it's pretty clear that he will be a huge star in world football in the future...

Bookmark this for sure and I will wear the egg should it not happen, but I am prepared to say it unequivocally will!

like who?????

In what concentrations of time versus their experience at this level? 33 starts in domestic and European competition since what, November, combined with the meteoric stress and burden of suddenly becoming the hottest young player in football all at the age of 21??? Be serious! That is absolutely KNACKERING! And I would further argue that for the likes of Bentaleb (who also played at ANC) and who is 19, even 20-25 starts would have the same effect given that he hasn't ever done it before.

I think it's too easy to forget to apply context to 'facts' mate.

It's not even the worst midfield in the last 2 years, because it's such an improvement on last season's central midfield of Capoue/Sandro/Paulinho that it's frightening.

I'm not sure what you're looking for in a central midfield. It's not the best central midfield. The best central midfield I've seen in a Spurs team was the Huddlestone/Palacios midfield of 2009/10 season.

It's staggering how you can look at our current central midfield and be so negative about it. But then you seem to be a very negative person. The kind of person that wouldn't be happy if they won a holiday to Florida because their neighbours were paying to go to California and you thought it looked a bit better.

I mean, even the Parker/Modric central midfield of 11/12 that many hold up as being the best they've seen in a Spurs shirt, pretty much cluster fu**ed the entire 2nd half of that season, just ran out of steam and after the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game got di**ed on by every opposition midfield it went up against as we suffered relegation-level form for a stretch of about 2-3 months from January onwards.

I chose Thudd and Palacios as their performance levels did not dip over the course of an entire season. But Mason/Bentaleb have a lot of similarities, both in style and ability to Parker/Modric, they also have similarities in form. Mason and Bentaleb have had a dip in performance, it's not surprising given the number of games we've played. I read somewhere that Spurs have played about 2nd or 3rd highest number of matches of any English team or something. Both players are in their first full Premiership seasons and have not had to experience football at such a high level before over such an extended period of tough matches, physically and mentally.

The cup final and games against Liverpool and Man U coming thick and fast afterwards just seemed to be the straw that broke the camel's back as they appear to be reeling like a punch-drunk boxer at the moment. The reality is though that their dip in form is only over a 4-5 game spell, which isn't that long for a dip in form given their age and experience. We just don't have the options in the squad to give them the rest they need, which is what needs to be addressed in the summer.

Back