• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Most people on here thought we underacheived last season? You keep repeating this like it's gospel. Why did we underachieve last season?

I think you're talking absolute horse manure to be honest.

Who thought we underachieved last season? What was this based on? The fact that many pundits thought we'd challenge for the title because we spent £100m?
Etc etc etc.....
You're preaching to the converted. I didn't think we had underachieved at all last season, I thought we overachieved.... But I remember a number of people on here saying what a bad job Sherwood had done and how his points total was the minimum we should've achieved with the squad we had, etc, etc. Those same people now want it both ways and say Poch is overachieving with the same squad.

so far, what will the opinion be if Pelle has another bad run in august and they have a rotten start

you shouldnt judge negatively after one season, you shouldn't judge positively either

You shouldn't but unfortunately this is 2015 and we're all judged rightly or wrongly.
It's funny how 2/3 months ago LVG wouldn't been branded a failure and Poch a success - now those opinions have probably reversed in many people's eyes.

I stated in another thread I'd like to see Poch given 2 more seasons. Who knows this time next year Koeman may have been sacked and we may be sitting top 4 but as we stand Koeman is looking like the one that got away.

You shouldn't but unfortunately this is 2015 and we're all judged rightly or wrongly.
It's funny how 2/3 months ago LVG wouldn't been branded a failure and Poch a success - now those opinions have probably reversed in many people's eyes.

I stated in another thread I'd like to see Poch given 2 more seasons. Who knows this time next year Koeman may have been sacked and we may be sitting top 4 but as we stand Koeman is looking like the one that got away.

completely agree with that

not everyone was calling LVG a failure, quite a few in the PL thread were saying just you wait

regarding the one that got away, looks like the Portuguese to me

I'm with you 100% I too would like to see Pochettino here for at least 2 more seasons and hopefully a lot longer than that (as that would mean he'd been successful). I'm just not yet that convinced that he will be.

@NWND

Stop! Hammer time but I believe we'd be in a more stable position if Koeman was in charge. I don't believe ADE would still be here I think he might've spoken louder so that Levy would hear him and force through a move. Sa,e with Capoue. On the other hand would Kane have had the season he's had without Poch someone I know he speaks highly of?

Not sure what the set up at Southampton is DOF either but I just feel Koeman is more outspoken with his chairman and not just a yes man Poch is which I think is very important.

@NWND

Stop! Hammer time but I believe we'd be in a more stable position if Koeman was in charge. I don't believe ADE would still be here I think he might've spoken louder so that Levy would hear him and force through a move. Sa,e with Capoue. On the other hand would Kane have had the season he's had without Poch someone I know he speaks highly of?

Not sure what the set up at Southampton is DOF either but I just feel Koeman is more outspoken with his chairman and not just a yes man Poch is which I think is very important.

Just pure speculation. There is absolutely no way Ade would have left. He'd just come off a sh#* hot second half of the season, he earns an absolute fortune, severely limiting the number of clubs he can be sold or loaned to. The pundits lauding Sherwood for managing Ade so well would have had a field day if the replacement for the sacked Sherwood had attempted to force Ade out.

Capoue wasn't going anywhere either. There was a clear remit IMO this season from any Spurs manager, that was to attempt to salvage and improve performances of the summer 2013 signings. I don't think Levy would have authorised any of their sales.

Poch started the season with them all. It was only as the kids in Europa always seemed to outshine the seniors in the BPL and when the big squad names were removed from the team resulting in an upturn in form that has shown Levy how poor these signings were.

Granted however many feel it takes 2/3 seasons for a manager to stamp his authority on the club. I'm merely pointing out that Koeman disproves that theory because he is a very good manager.

Koeman is a crap manager. Southampton had two great runs either side of four straight losses thanks to a very kind fixture list. Since January they've slowly sunk from 3rd to 6th/7th, where they'll finish depending on what we manage. Next season they'll be fighting with the likes of Stoke, Swansea and Everton for 7th at best. Bottom half if they get Europe.

You're preaching to the converted. I didn't think we had underachieved at all last season, I thought we overachieved.... But I remember a number of people on here saying what a bad job Sherwood had done and how his points total was the minimum we should've achieved with the squad we had, etc, etc. Those same people now want it both ways and say Poch is overachieving with the same squad.

We could have stuck with the slow and lazy underperformers, who won't listen to a word the manager says and expect to be picked on reputation alone. Over a whole season they'd probably do as well as the current group, but long term we'd be no better off.

Sorry I meant the one that got away. Not AVB surely?

yeah, I'm an AVB fanboy

i see similar ideas from Poch (mainly earlier in the season granted), quickly regain possession, kill them with passing, control the game economically, much like under AVB we are suffering due to individual errors rather than systematic failings, with a bit more quality and a few less mistakes we are a much better side

Last edited:
yeah, I'm an AVB fanboy

i see similar ideas from Poch (mainly earlier in the season granted), quickly regain possession, kill them with passing, control the game economically, much like under AVB we are suffering due to individual errors rather than systematic failings, with a bit more quality and a few less mistakes we are a much better side

We need 4 signings and we needed them under AVB but it had not been addressed. I don't think we will be seeing pretty football until these signings are made.

yeah, I'm an AVB fanboy

Blimey. AVB probably set this club back 10 years in devlopment if you ask me.

Reactions: DTA
Koeman is a brilliant example that puts to bed the myth that managers need time. He's a very good coach is the bottom line for me.

I don't think anyone has said that all managers need time Roy - just that you shouldn't expect instant results. Koeman has done well, im not sure why FiB has such a bee in his bonnet on the point because i don't think anyone has said otherwise? Will be interesting to see how they get on next season, wasn't so long ago Martinez was being talked up as the one which got away after he had an impressive first season, who'd want him now? Conversley, look at Rodgers at Liverpool - took a season to asses the squad and lay down how he wanted to play, finished lower than the man they just sacked, 11th(?) but since then has taken them on a title challenge and put them in a great position to qualify for fourth...swings and roundabouts

Granted however many feel it takes 2/3 seasons for a manager to stamp his authority on the club. I'm merely pointing out that Koeman disproves that theory because he is a very good manager.

One example with one manager at one club for one season disproves that theory?

Probability, chance, randomness and variance are actually real concepts as far as I know...

Koeman is a crap manager. Southampton had two great runs either side of four straight losses thanks to a very kind fixture list. Since January they've slowly sunk from 3rd to 6th/7th, where they'll finish depending on what we manage. Next season they'll be fighting with the likes of Stoke, Swansea and Everton for 7th at best. Bottom half if they get Europe.

Interesting. Thought his record before he took over Southampton was unspectacular at best, but he's done alright this season and I think "crap" seems rather harsh. But I suspect you know much more about his career than I do.

To some extent how well a manager fits in at the club is as important as how good the manager is in isolation. It seems that Southampton are quiet good at picking out managers that fit in for them. Koeman is also just a part of a transfer committee like for us so even if he's not a great manager there's a chance they will continue to be smart in the market.

Seems a bit early to be writing him off to me.

nah, I hadn't clocked how crud the squad was at that point, the miracle AVB performed had blinded me

I never felt that sherwood was building anything, just going from game to game, reacting and relying on ade

Yeah that 5-0 miracle at home to Liverpool was really something

Reactions: DTA
Back