• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I've questioned our manager all season, even after "great" wins and people seem to think we have the next messiah. Fact is we've been pretty awful all season and Pochetino has made consistently awful decisions, most of which don't pay off. Lloris Eriksen and kane have papered over so many cracks, coupled with awful form from Man U Liverpool and arsenal. But it's been clear to me how awful we've been, and how I can't see a decent team being built at all. I'm utterly unconvinced so far, and my thoughts have never wavered. And this week could ultimately typify everything by basically bottling all three competitions. Hopefully, it'll end in the sweetest fashion.

I have seen enough in Poch to believe he is a good manager just like I think Rodgers is a good manager at Liverpool.

He needs players that suit his style and better players because from talking to people in the game when it comes down to it, it is all about the players. A manager that has some good tactics will take you so far but you need quality players to do anything in this game. That is a direct quote from someone who works in first team football coaching.

I like Poch and under this system I think we can become a team that is better then the sum of its parts. But look at our squad and half the players are not what you would call poch players, which calls into question the whole director of football system if you ask me.

Anyway I like poch think so far he is doing a good job and want to see him given another 2 full seasons.

I want to see him given time, we simply have to. But I'm just saying I've not been impressed with barely anything ive seen. Part of that is personnel. But k seriously doubt far too many of his decisions, and we have been really bad this season in 90% of games. It's worrying. Let's see what happens in the summer when he can form his own team, see then. I'm not confident. I'm very hopeful...

The fact, out of all of our players, he rested mason, makes me sick in my mouth...

Resting Mason shows how much he rates the league cup final as mason is pivotal to what we are trying to do and no one else in our squad can do it.

I think personal is the biggest problem and like you I think it time we give someone years in the job.

I was very impressed with our performances against Chelsea and Arsenal. Yet again no matter who our manager is we are poor in Europe, maybe we will just be one of those clubs.

Poch made the right decision tonight not starting Kane. I would have rested Eriksen too. We are in a final, a one off game as opposed to a last 32 clash in a competition we haven't won in 30 years (when was the last time we even reached the semis?) with the prospect of the CL dropouts to come. The Europa League is a seriously flawed competition that only gets good in the last 8. It hurts our league form more often than not.

So you would have been ok with us lining up today or last Sunday like this? Presumably, if the cup final is your priority then it would have been the two Europa games than you would have preferred to have fielded scratch sides in.

Vorm

Chiriches Fazio Kaboul Davies

Capoue Stambouli

Townsend Paulinho Chadli

Soldado
100% yes. Its not everyones cup of tea but resign yourself to 1 loss from the 3, there is no shame in that. Personally i would have played best 11 at home against f'tina, hoping for 3-1, 2-0, something to defend over in Italy and take my chance of playing 2nd team and getting a result playing dog brick ugly, time wasting foofball.

Then playing best 11 again vs west ham knowing there is a full week off for them so they can prepare 100% properly for the cup final. I bet we havnt done that much prep for tge final in terms of tactics given the amount of games and travel time.

For the record, i like poch and i think we may do ok under him.

I've questioned our manager all season, even after "great" wins and people seem to think we have the next messiah. Fact is we've been pretty awful all season and Pochetino has made consistently awful decisions, most of which don't pay off. Lloris Eriksen and kane have papered over so many cracks, coupled with awful form from Man U Liverpool and arsenal. But it's been clear to me how awful we've been, and how I can't see a decent team being built at all. I'm utterly unconvinced so far, and my thoughts have never wavered. And this week could ultimately typify everything by basically bottling all three competitions. Hopefully, it'll end in the sweetest fashion.

When you go off on one of these mate, I see prime-time Vic Reeves having a rant...it's a visual I cannot get out of my head!!!!

Poch made the right decision tonight not starting Kane. I would have rested Eriksen too. We are in a final, a one off game as opposed to a last 32 clash in a competition we haven't won in 30 years (when was the last time we even reached the semis?) with the prospect of the CL dropouts to come. The Europa League is a seriously flawed competition that only gets good in the last 8. It hurts our league form more often than not.
i really do not see the point you're trying to make by constantly bringing up that we haven't got past the quarters in the Europa League, i mean what is the actual relevance? We haven't won the league in over 50 years so why bother giving that any attention? And guess what we've never won the European Cup or Champions League - so why even bother trying to qualify??

Last edited:
100% yes. Its not everyones cup of tea but resign yourself to 1 loss from the 3, there is no shame in that. Personally i would have played best 11 at home against f'tina, hoping for 3-1, 2-0, something to defend over in Italy and take my chance of playing 2nd team and getting a result playing dog crud ugly, time wasting foofball.

Then playing best 11 again vs west ham knowing there is a full week off for them so they can prepare 100% properly for the cup final. I bet we havnt done that much prep for tge final in terms of tactics given the amount of games and travel time.

For the record, i like poch and i think we may do ok under him.

Do you agree that it is easy to say these things in retrospect though?

If our weakened team had made their first half dominance pay in the first leg, we could have easily won it 4-1 and we would have seen a different selection in the second leg.

Alternatively, it is not unknown for our first eleven to struggle and we could have played a strong team in the first leg and still come away needing something in Florence.

The concern for me at the moment is that in both the first leg and against West Ham we have dominated, then conceded against the run of play and then lost our way a bit. Hopefully, it is just one of those things and we get over it soon because fighting back has been one of our strengths this season.

Dare I say it but I think that we really missed Mason yesterday.

I ask again: Was your impression from the West Ham game that we were pressing with a high line throughout the game?

Most managers rotate. Most managers find ways to rest their top players. We're not Real or Barca, we don't regularly get 3 or 4 nil up and can coast for the last half an hour.

You feel we need to start with a strong spine? I take it by that you mean starting the same key players every game? Poch feels that giving players some rest and rotation is more important than you seem to think. I think he knows more about their fitness levels than you do. By the way, have you noticed that we've struggled a lot less with injuries this season than most seasons? It seems to me that Poch and his fitness coaches know a thing or two about what they're doing. Very easy from the outside to just say "play this player more".

First you say that you want us to not press high and expel energy. Just sit back and defend deep, counter attack. Then you say that we should be daring enough to go for the goal first, and set the tone for the match. I struggle to see consistency in what you write and I think you're ignoring some key factors.

What I see is a need for stronger players competing with our first choice players. The step down in quality from Bentaleb, Mason, Eriksen and Kane in particular is just too damn high. Poch is forced to manage with a squad that isn't well balanced, isn't perfectly suited to his style and that is very much still a work in progress. I think he's doing very well managing that squad on multiple fronts with a very packed fixture list.

At the end of the day there's a lot of ways leading to Rome. You can be annoyed with the approach Poch chooses, but so far I struggle to see how you can complain about his results or the entertainment all things considered. You prefer something different, he prefers what he does. There's probably not just one thing that will work, but his approach is what we'll have for a while.

the point is about being creative to start each game with the strongest eleven, to set the tone and intent early. in the west ham game, it looked like we were trying but were constantly being beat back by the equally fit and physical players, who only had kane and dembele to take care of. Without Eriksen we looked poor, unable to hold on the ball in a way that put the defence on the back foot.

beware the tyranny of "or"! the game doesn't have to be played in extremes. it takes a mature football team to know when to turn the pressure on, and when to kick back and relax. the key factor here is a nuanced approach to the game, not just pressing all the time. being daring to play the suckerpunch once in a while.

i see nothing wrong about releaseing townsend down the wings and watching 50% of his crosses end up in the stands, 40% to a defender and only 10% to spurs attacker ready to pounce? 5% we get goals, but 95% of the time we have traded the physical expense of one flying winger to at least 3 backtracking defenders - to me that's a pretty good trade off. again, of course, not all the time, but at a strategic part of the game, before we make a final push and revert back to a high pressure game through the centre approach.

no issues with rotating - its just that i don't think that poch has approached it rather wishfully - assuming that you can change 3-4 players in key positions and hope that we continue to kick on as before, is unlikely as you need time to build understanding between players.

finally the point about needing better players - i'm sure you will agree with me that once the transfer windows are shut, Poch's role is to make the best of the players he has. no point harping about how better players will make us a better team. better ask harder questions such as: what's the next phase in poch's system to be more effective? how do we keep our key players fresh while starting them regularly? tactical subs - how can we use individual player attributes to bring a game-changing plan to the table?

i think that poch is a good manager but he is still young and learning. if he carries on just sticking to his guns i also think that he will see limited success because of the sheer intensity of games at the turn of the new year.

i really do not see the point you're trying to make by constantly bringing up that we haven't got past the quarters in the Europa League, i mean what is the actual relevance? We haven't won the league in over 50 years so why bother giving that any attention? And guess what we've never won the European Cup or Champions League - so why even bother trying to qualify??

Is that a serious post or are you just venting? Seriously! The other tournaments do not affect our league form like the Europa League does. Name another competition where you qualify from your group and you're still only in the last 32?

not starting Kane in either of the Fiorentina games shows what Poch thinks about the EL at this stage......He is our matchwinner this season, our biggest goal threat, without him we are really p!ss poor. not starting him just sends out the wrong message imo

not starting Kane in either of the Fiorentina games shows what Poch thinks about the EL at this stage......He is our matchwinner this season, our biggest goal threat, without him we are really p!ss poor. not starting him just sends out the wrong message imo

I would have played him in the first leg, then rested him last night. It's clear that Poch sees the Chelsea game as a priority.

Is that a serious post or are you just venting? Seriously! The other tournaments do not affect our league form like the Europa League does. Name another competition where you qualify from your group and you're still only in the last 32?
Yeah it's a serious question, which you still haven't answered - what relevence does our record in the Europa League have to do anything? You keeping saying - 'we don't get any further than the quarters/haven't won it for 30 years etc' i was just wondering what the point was in that particular instance

I want to see him given time, we simply have to. But I'm just saying I've not been impressed with barely anything ive seen. Part of that is personnel. But k seriously doubt far too many of his decisions, and we have been really bad this season in 90% of games. It's worrying. Let's see what happens in the summer when he can form his own team, see then. I'm not confident. I'm very hopeful...

The fact, out of all of our players, he rested mason, makes me sick in my mouth...

You've not been impressed with barely anything you've seen? You're just a muggy WUM. I can't take your opinions seriously.

I would have played him in the first leg, then rested him last night. It's clear that Poch sees the Chelsea game as a priority.

at this stage every game is important imo.....i never see Real resting Ronaldo, Barca resting Messi, these guys play an immense number of games every season, compete in all comps, and are vital to their teams. Kane right now is is just as vital to us, is young, in red hot form, very fit, coming off the back of 9 day break he and all of our best players could have coped with Fiorentina, West Ham, Fiorentina and Chelsea in an 11 day period.

and remember, the majority of our current preferred best players havent even been starters for the whole season. Plenty of miles left in their little legs

Yeah it's a serious question, which you still haven't answered - what relevence does our record in the Europa League have to do anything? You keeping saying - 'we don't get any further than the quarters/haven't won it for 30 years etc' i was just wondering what the point was in that particular instance

It hurts our league form, that's the relevance it has.

The competition the way it is formatted is designed to keep the majority of the teams in that competition and keep them out of the CL, besides the team that wins it of course.

at this stage every game is important imo.....i never see Real resting Ronaldo, Barca resting Messi, these guys play an immense number of games every season, compete in all comps, and are vital to their teams. Kane right now is is just as vital to us, is young, in red hot form, very fit, coming off the back of 9 day break he and all of our best players could have coped with Fiorentina, West Ham, Fiorentina and Chelsea in an 11 day period.

It may be more of a psychological thing as well. Messi and Ronaldo are in a different league to every other play in the game. I don't think our players can handle the number of games you mention the above playing. It's something the club needs to get to grips with, playing Thursday then Sunday or Tuesday then Saturday.

It hurts our league form, that's the relevance it has.

The competition the way it is formatted is designed to keep the majority of the teams in that competition and keep them out of the CL, besides the team that wins it of course.

So 'not winning it for 30 years and only ever getting to the quarters' wasn't supposed to mean that we never look like winning it, so we shouldn't bother? Because that is how i understood it, sorry if that's not what you meant.

Back