• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I am gutted that it is starting to unravel for Poch as I truly thought he might have been the man.... If he is to turn this around I think he will need to demonstrate a flexibility and adaptability in terms of system and approach which to date he has not shown. He must pick teams not to loose for the next 4-5 games at least and simply try and steady the ship, then, and only then should he consider what his approach/system needs to be once hopefully we have made a few signings in Jan.

IMHO we have players to play a decent 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-3 which would also give us more solidity than we have at the moment. I would play Stambouli, Dembele and Eriksen in midfield with Eriksen slightly advanced. Then I'd have Lamela and Chadli as the 2 players off the front man with Kane or Soldado up front. Keep the 3 forward players up top and get Eriksen linking play. At the back for the moment I'd have Fazio and Verts with Dier at RB (while Naughton is suspended) and Davies at LB just to keep it tight. Draws away from home and a few home wins leading up to Christmas are a must and we must adapt style and personnel immediately as our current approach, tactics and selections are not going to get us there.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

I wonder if football managers will ever be more open with fans about what systems / gameplans they are trying to adopt, what they do on the training pitch, where they think things are going wrong etc? At the moment they all trot out such vague banalities in interviews, it's impossible to know. Poch is constantly talking about instilling a 'new philosophy' and 'new ideas', but I don't think he ever goes into detail about exactly what these are, and it's not obvious on the pitch. He certainly doesn't talk about why it's not working, just that he has to 'go away and identify a solution' or that 'we have to improve' - no **** sherlock.

All this vagueness leaves fans tearing their hair out and spending hours speculating and arguing on internet forums, and ultimately calling for the head of a manager, with virtually no information on what is happening on the training pitch, in the dressing room or in the manager's head. If we were able to have a clue as to what the hell was going on with the team, beyond just a visual 90 minute snapshot every week, we might have a clearer understanding of exactly why things look so bad at the moment, and therefore be more confident that things are going to start improving soon, and therefore not feel so **** about supporting Spurs and not make yet another premature call for a manager's head.

Spurs love their online content these days - wouldn't it be great if Poch did a monthly 'candid Q&A', where (via an interpreter...) he gave detailed and forthright explanations to fans' questions such as 'Why did you make Kaboul captain, and do you now feel that it's difficult not to start him when fit?' ... 'Exactly what system do you ultimately want to implement at Spurs? What has been your approach to phasing that system in? Do you think it's working, and if not why? What are you going to do to try and make it work better?'

Obviously never going to happen in reality, but it's a shame - I can't think of any other phenomenon where people spend so much of their free time passionately debating things that they can have no impact on and that they have so little actual information about (myself included, just to be clear).

Well, the fact that Mark Hughes was able to use such an obvious tactical ploy against us (exploit the space in behind our advanced fullbacks) and have it pay off so spectacularly says it all for me. That gif of their first goal would be hilarious if it wasn't such grim viewing for Spurs fans — four or five of our players all chasing the man with the ball like something out of a Benny Hill sketch; no-one in the defence attempting to close down until the last second, and you could have driven a 243 bus through the gap they left for the shot. Compare the reaction of the Stoke defence to Townsend, I think it was, being put through by Mason in the first half. He was surrounded in an instant, and the ball cleared with no nonsense whatever. Poch is right — he'd better find a solution, and bloody quick.

Underwhelmed and disappointed. However, of course ill get behind him and cheer him on when I go to the Lane.

Support the ****y boys! COYS!

This was my reply in May when he was appointed. Still feel the same.

He must be given more time. Another pay off isn't the answer but he is making things very difficult.

I wonder if football managers will ever be more open with fans about what systems / gameplans they are trying to adopt, what they do on the training pitch, where they think things are going wrong etc? At the moment they all trot out such vague banalities in interviews, it's impossible to know. Poch is constantly talking about instilling a 'new philosophy' and 'new ideas', but I don't think he ever goes into detail about exactly what these are, and it's not obvious on the pitch. He certainly doesn't talk about why it's not working, just that he has to 'go away and identify a solution' or that 'we have to improve' - no **** sherlock.

All this vagueness leaves fans tearing their hair out and spending hours speculating and arguing on internet forums, and ultimately calling for the head of a manager, with virtually no information on what is happening on the training pitch, in the dressing room or in the manager's head. If we were able to have a clue as to what the hell was going on with the team, beyond just a visual 90 minute snapshot every week, we might have a clearer understanding of exactly why things look so bad at the moment, and therefore be more confident that things are going to start improving soon, and therefore not feel so **** about supporting Spurs and not make yet another premature call for a manager's head.

Spurs love their online content these days - wouldn't it be great if Poch did a monthly 'candid Q&A', where (via an interpreter...) he gave detailed and forthright explanations to fans' questions such as 'Why did you make Kaboul captain, and do you now feel that it's difficult not to start him when fit?' ... 'Exactly what system do you ultimately want to implement at Spurs? What has been your approach to phasing that system in? Do you think it's working, and if not why? What are you going to do to try and make it work better?'

Obviously never going to happen in reality, but it's a shame - I can't think of any other phenomenon where people spend so much of their free time passionately debating things that they can have no impact on and that they have so little actual information about (myself included, just to be clear).

Agreed largely with this. Would love more candour from the coach, thought the same when AVB was here, and that it surely would have made things much more easy for him if he could explain exactly what his system was trying to do rather than talk in vagueness and attacking the fans.

I think things that involve the players too, e.g. why Kaboul was made captain, why do you continue to play Ade, should be left in house. I don't think it helps to talk about things like that in public and the players don't deserve it. But tactical systems that are clearly making performances in the first instance more difficult to watch but may pay more dividends in the future...I don't see why they can't be explained to the fans. It may lead to more patience and encouragement when things go against us mid-match. I can't imagine it would give opposition managers too much insight that they wouldn't have already gleaned from watching us anyway, but just a bit more detail to impart a bit more patience on the fans...can't be a bad thing.

Maybe he needs another translator.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...debayor-tottenham-crowd-white-hart-lane-stoke
“He’s a good manager and we just have to find a way so that we can try to understand what he wants to tell us and how he wants us to play and put that on the pitch. If every player could do what the manager wants then we would win the Champions League. But at the moment we are not getting the message. To me, he is a good manager and a good man – we just have to get what he is telling us."

One to translate from Spanish into whatever language these meathead players can understand.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...debayor-tottenham-crowd-white-hart-lane-stoke
“He’s a good manager and we just have to find a way so that we can try to understand what he wants to tell us and how he wants us to play and put that on the pitch. If every player could do what the manager wants then we would win the Champions League. But at the moment we are not getting the message. To me, he is a good manager and a good man – we just have to get what he is telling us."

One to translate from Spanish into whatever language these meathead players can understand.

Am I the only one reading the message between the lines?

Mauricio Pochettino has admitted that he must urgently change the mentality of his Tottenham Hotspur squad after claiming that the players lost their composure once Stoke City went ahead.

Boos rang at around White Hart Lane after what was Tottenham’s fourth defeat in five home games, with Stoke manager Mark Hughes later admitting that he had thought his team could exploit the pressure on their opponents.

Pochettino acknowledged that his players were affected by falling behind and, despite wanting time to implement his ideas, knows that results must quickly improve.

“It’s clear we need to improve a lot,” said Pochettino. “Always in football you need time – there are different methods and philosophy but we need to improve quick. In football you never have a long time, you need to take a result. We need to find a solution very quick and, in the next few weeks, we change our mentality and find a solution. This is my challenge.”

Hughes admitted his team had tried to play on the counter-attack to exploit space behind Tottenham’s full-backs and also the current tension at White Hart Lane. “I just thought we need to be positive and maybe there is a bit of pressure on the players at the moment and we thought if we started positively we could use that to our own ends,” said Hughes.

Asked about the pressure on the Spurs players, Pochettino said: “Maybe it’s true after we concede the first goal we feel this pressure. When you play in our way we want to play, you need to feel confidence on the pitch because it’s important to create space, to have patience in possession of the ball. It’s true when we conceded a goal we start to take rash decisions and feel uncomfortable in possession of the ball.”

Pochettino was adamant, though, that the players do care and understand what he wants. “They know my feelings like I know their feelings,” he said. “We are here for four months, we know the players and the players know me. We feel the same, very disappointed and frustrated and not happy because our performance was not good enough.”

Hughes was delighted by how his players executed his game-plan, despite the loss of Marc Wilson and Phil Bardsley following respective hamstring and groin injuries.

“Spurs are a good team individually,” said Hughes. “Our plan certainly was to use the counter-attack. There were certain areas of the pitch we thought we could exploit. Spurs like to involve their full-backs and get them forward so we thought we could get in behind those full-back areas and express ourselves in those areas.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/11220101/Tottenham-Hotspur-manager-Mauricio-Pochettino-says-he-must-changes-players-mentality-following-defeat-to-Stoke.html

Poch schooled by Hughes.....worrying times

Well, the fact that Mark Hughes was able to use such an obvious tactical ploy against us (exploit the space in behind our advanced fullbacks) and have it pay off so spectacularly says it all for me. That gif of their first goal would be hilarious if it wasn't such grim viewing for Spurs fans — four or five of our players all chasing the man with the ball like something out of a Benny Hill sketch; no-one in the defence attempting to close down until the last second, and you could have driven a 243 bus through the gap they left for the shot. Compare the reaction of the Stoke defence to Townsend, I think it was, being put through by Mason in the first half. He was surrounded in an instant, and the ball cleared with no nonsense whatever. Poch is right — he'd better find a solution, and bloody quick.

Yeah you describe that first goal perfectly...it was not a good advert for high intense pressing

Elltrev, I said after the game yesterday that he had to come now and explain a few things. It's in his own interest to tell us why we have regressed over the last four weeks. Is he asking to much to quick?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

I feel really gutted and guilty for falling off the Poch gravy train so quickly after being a big supporter of giving him time and patience. However, similarly to the display I saw against Saudi Sportswashing Machine at home under AVB, the last 3 or 4 performances under Poch have shaken my ability to have faith that we're moving in the right direction.

I'm seeing some very worrying signs, that show a lot of the hall-marks of the AVB regime unravelling, including a complete inability to make the simple and obvious right decisions, a stubborn reluctance to put certain players in the team or remove certain players from the team. A worrying trend of failing to stick with his own principles under pressure and resort to constantly chopping and changing the team.

I think the final straw for me was seeing Kane in the starting line-up, but without the rest of the team's shape switching to the cup formula that had seen Kane so successful.

Instead, we saw that actually, Ade hadn't been so poor all season of his own fault, as in the PL team that was put out yesterday, Kane looked as isolated and lost as Ade has all season.

We seem to be getting worse fast rather than better following some initial positive signs. It says to me the players have given up trying to adapt and are actually just wanting rid of the manager, or making it clear they're not on the same wave length.

I fail to understand how Poch seemed to target the right areas to buy and bought almost a whole new defence in Davies, Dier, Fazio. Stambouli was also bought and has seemed to me to be a much better fit for what Poch wants to achieve in midfield, rather than the current pairings we see in the PL.

Despite the above, rather than sticking his new recruits in to get used to each other and shore up our comedy defence, none ofthe new signings seemed to get a sniff in the league in their natural positions all at once, and Sambouli - has he even got any minutes?

I am going to try and put all my thoughts together in a more coherent style tonight, but as far as I can see this whole thing is descending into a bit of a mess and really although Levy has again made the choice of manager and the buck for that stops with him, the current ON THE PITCH mess is pretty much down to Poch and his coaching team, which will explain tonight and this is really gutting to me that I honestly don't think its going to work out for him if he continues with how he is doing things right this minute.

Hahaha oh dear....so the players now can't understand what Poch wants. I doubt his instructions are that complicated.

How many more embarrassing home defeats/performances before Levy's finger begins to twitch.

How many more embarrassing home defeats/performances before Levy's finger begins to twitch.

van Gaal has just told United fans they'll have to endure 3 years of them before he'll be able to turn that sinking ship around. Does Poch deserve less time because he spent £160m less last summer?

A dark side of me actually wants us to end up with Warnock or Pulis, just to spite all entitlement idiots. 11 games!

van Gaal has just told United fans they'll have to endure 3 years of them before he'll be able to turn that sinking ship around. Does Poch deserve less time because he spent £160m less last summer?

A dark side of me actually wants us to end up with Warnock or Pulis, just to spite all entitlement idiots. 11 games!

As opposed to the entitlement idiots who thought the grass was greener on the other side - three years ago?

nb it really isnt 11 games, its the culmination of three years.

I would argue that LVG's previous record probably allows a club to give him that much time and be confident that he will achieve his goal. Does Pochettino's prior record allow us to trust him this much? Why do you feel that Pochettino deserves time despite us being far worse this season than last and also seeming to get worse by the week when Sherwood didn't even deserve 5 minutes in the job despite being able to hit the ground running?

Also why do you keep on mentioning Neil Warnock as though our club would ever end up with him as manager?

Perhaps having Pochettino now (and AVB before) was to spite the entitlement idiots who wanted Harry and then Tim out?

I wonder how you would feel if it was Warnock managing us right now and we were producing these abject performances (in fact the performances are even worse than that!) Sherwood was getting incredible criticism from some of the posters on here, despite us actually doing pretty well, why are Pochettino and Sherwood not judged by the same circumstances - this is where you try to come up with something to disguise the real reason of "Sherwood is English and common and wears a body warmer (it's not allowed to be called a Gillet when Sherwood wears it as Gillet is too forein and exotic sounding for Shrerwood), whereas Pochettino is Argentinian and has a sexy accent"

Please tell me what is it about this Pochettino Spurs team that you are seeing that makes you confident that things are going to get better? (and the fact that it looks almost impossible for them to actually get any worse isn't a valid argument).

Back