• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lionel Messi

Apparently, there was some bloke in Zambia who scored over 100 goals in 1972.

FIFA are checking-out the Zambian FA claim that he holds the world record for goals in a single year.

There's probably also a bloke in a south London pub league who scored 150 goals in half a season in 1992. But that shouldn't count either.

why shouldnt the zambian one count?

due to the level of the leagues?

In a nutshell, yes!

Come on, fella, the level of Zambian domestic football in 1972 (especially the defending, I'd guess!) cannot be sensibly compared to the level of Primera Liga and Champions League in 2012.

In a nutshell, yes!

Come on, fella, the level of Zambian domestic football in 1972 (especially the defending, I'd guess!) cannot be sensibly compared to the level of Primera Liga and Champions League in 2012.

Racist?

:-"

I'm kidding ofc.

In a nutshell, yes!

obviously. but then the criteria needs to change to european or first world football or top 8 grossing leagues or something

if you want to boast a record and you include all professional leagues...then shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit...you have yourself to blame

a guy in northern ireland could win that if he got 100 and am pretty sure that league is bad

obviously. but then the criteria needs to change to european or first world football or top 8 grossing leagues or something

if you want to boast a record and you include all professional leagues...then shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit...you have yourself to blame

a guy in northern ireland could win that if he got 100 and am pretty sure that league is bad

To be honest, I'm not sure that Zambia even had a professional football league in 1972.

Absolutely. And I would make the exact, same point if a guy playing in the Northern Irish League had scored 107 goals in a calendar year, 40 years ago - when defensive tactics weren't half as sophisticated and players weren't half as fit nor teams half as organised as they are these days!

Absolutely. And I would make the exact, same point if a guy playing in the Northern Irish League had scored 107 goals in a calendar year, 40 years ago - when defensive tactics weren't half as sophisticated and players weren't half as fit nor teams half as organised as they are these days!

wait hold on, the time period is a problem for you as well isnt it?

do you think that counts AGAINST greats like maradona, pele, gullity, becknbauer and the likes?

wait hold on, the time period is a problem for you as well isnt it?

do you think that counts AGAINST greats like maradona, pele, gullity, becknbauer and the likes?

Definitely. To an extent.

There can be no question that the advances in football tactics, player fitness and team organisation have, overall, favoured defences over the years - even if, on the flip side, rule changes (or the interpretation thereof) have favoured attackers.

Definitely. To an extent.

There can be no question that the advances in football tactics, player fitness and team organisation have, overall, favoured defences over the years - even if, on the flip side, rule changes (or the interpretation thereof) have favoured attackers.

off the top of your head from all the greats you can remember...where would you rank messi?

i think people are getting a bit carried away over this, its an individual annual record in a seasoned team sport, which nobody had heard of 2 months ago

fair play to the guy, but celebrate him for his ability on the pitch and the success of his team, not arbitrary number crunching

sports.png

off the top of your head from all the greats you can remember...where would you rank messi?

Top, but for one caveat......he's yet to really hit the heights at international level.

I have full confidence that he will, though.

Where would you rank him, african?

Top, but for one caveat......he's yet to really hit the heights at international level.

I have full confidence that he will, though.

do you think thats due to him performing at a lesser level for Argentina or just that he doesn't have the strength around him that he does at club level?

The man has nothing to prove at club level. He's won titles, European Cups, multiple Ballon D'ors, world player of the year, golden boots, been highest scorer in the CL and la liga, scored against the best teams in every league and every country.

I understand the arguement when people say the CL has overtaken the World Cup and is now the premier football competition, but for me, The World Cup is still the pinnacle and I would bet most players want to win it above anything else. So he has to win a World Cup, if he does, then there is no arguement as to who is the greatest player of all time.

Back