• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

The inept teams that are 5th and 6th in the PL table at the moment ahead of City? (both of who have lost only 3 games and won only one less than us?)

Not exactly relegation candidates there mate ..

They bloody were the days we tacoted both

True, neither really sat on it and looked to counter though. To date we’ve managed to overcome a few different scenarios, I don’t expect us to always come up with a last minute goal ala West Brom and in general I think the approach is working well. I just foresee there will be a few games where people may feel we are too risk averse and when we don’t get the result, considering we are discussing it when we have been getting the results!
We’re not risk adverse
We’re calculated
We had more attackers on the pitch when we needed a goal vs west Brom
We changed the team to win vs Brighton
What were also not is a team that cares about who has the ball. That really important and is a differentiator compared to lots of other teams.
I think we have a variety of ways of playing and that’s unique right now
We will see it when we need to I’m sure. It may not recover a loss but there is no way we will sit back when we don’t need too

people are judging us on the games post West Ham. Forgetting the way we played before West Ham (small range I now) but those games showed how we can smash teams

See the table I posted in thread on league position, we have done well so far against top and bottom (albeit only 11 games in)

Said it earlier .. fudge everyone's narrative

- Top 4 is still primary league objective (considering if you look at the table since Jose's joined, we have pretty much been in top 3, so far so good)
- Success will be ANY cup, make it two and it will be one of the better seasons in the history of the club
- We need to be opportunistic with the league, if we get lucky with injuries and a few opposition results go our way, then maybe ..

I think we need to be careful and not help drive the narrative against our club.

- Jose had the most successful season at United post SAF and people still try to paint it as a failure
- I could see us winning a cup and coming 2nd/3rd in league and asshats will try and pass it off as "underachieved" just to cry down Spurs
Said it repeatedly... we have a manager who has won more trophies than we have as a club
The guy knows how to win games. That should win cups with the talent we have
The league position will be what it will be. We will get top 4 I’m sure and as you say that was and is the aim. Anything extra league wise is a bonus

Yes I think this is what I was saying - we don’t have the luxury of all teams treating us like Leicester and leaving themselves open to the counter, so we need to show we can adapt to teams looking to do the same to us. Hopefully this is where Bale and the use of Ndombele and Lo Celso will kick in, along with the ability to rotate our other attackers to keep them fresh / ask different questions.

As an aside, on a match by match basis where the points ended up being the same either way, I will take a few turgid performances against weaker teams if we are beating / not losing to rival teams. I still think the league this season is a big ask with a couple of more mature or expensively assembled squads in the mix, but if we are to win a cup the recent performances are what we need to be able to deliver, not so much hammering Fulham 5-0.
Teams will treat us differently depending on their philosophy and nativity
You saw it with the recent games with only Chelsea adjusting their tactics to accommodate us. That because lampard is scared of Jose and the players we have
Other teams will adjust but then they know we have other ways of hurting them
You play low block we will hit you constantly (Saudi Sportswashing Machine style)
You press us we will bypass the press on counters
You play mid block... you have to be 100% bang on but you won’t get many chances and it will be turgid. I’d expect our attacking quality to shine through

I don't even think we are playing 'boring' football or whatever term you wanna use.

We've just learned to defend properly, which admittedly for Tottenham is revolutionary, added to that we've scored quite early in some games meaning we don't have to chase.

We're been looking ruthless at both ends of the pitch, for me there is only 1 team in the league that should be looking to play a possession based game and that is City, nobody else has the 11+ for it. It was a failing that we had before that we believed we was good enough for this approach/needed it to win, and both of those are wrong.

We’re not risk adverse
We’re calculated
We had more attackers on the pitch when we needed a goal vs west Brom
We changed the team to win vs Brighton
What were also not is a team that cares about who has the ball. That really important and is a differentiator compared to lots of other teams.
I think we have a variety of ways of playing and that’s unique right now
We will see it when we need to I’m sure. It may not recover a loss but there is no way we will sit back when we don’t need too

people are judging us on the games post West Ham. Forgetting the way we played before West Ham (small range I now) but those games showed how we can smash teams
I’m not going to debate semantics about risk aversion and calculating risk, I’ll just reiterate I am happy with what we are doing and am obviously doing a poor job articulating what I view is the small possible downside to the strategy that appears to being perceived by others as a negative thing when when it is resulting in positive results.

Exactly as some have said ... WHAT IS SO BORING ABOUT THIS FOOTBALL?
Have players on the ball that car run by players. CHECK
Have players who can pass through a needle of an eye. CHECK
Have players that can score worldys on any given day. CHECK
Have a defensive system that allows attacking players to reign supreme. CHECK.

The Goals scored and conceded say it all. Im sorry Sky sports we dont all subscribe to your tyler dingdong sucking narrative. WE SPURS FANS fudging LOVE IT

The narrative comment wasn't specifically aimed at you .. it's how easy Spurs fans (in general) are sucked into the media narrative (which is anti-Spurs for a good part, easiest example is can you imagine we had appointed an ex Spurs player to replace Poch, bought Willian and were 15th in the league, do you think a single media outlet would give us the slack Arteta is getting?)

I actually don't find Jose's football hard to watch (we have scored 49 goals in 20 games with a +30GD at a 65% win percentage, 8 games out of the 20 with 3+ GF), I've always had a preference for counter attacking football as well (not hoof, but genuine good football at break, see our 2nd goal against Scum)

I've learnt to enjoy Spurs a little more day by day, honestly would really like to see us get some measurable success (trophies) but doesn't change how I feel about the club, nowadays I just stay off the board when we have a crap game, can't deal with the complete negativity. We will have that moment again, this year, next or whenever (club has right foundations in place)

But agree with League, really hard competition to win, luck and what others do are probably as much a factor as what we do ..

Np, As you quoted me I felt duty bound to defend my position, as I find it hard to debate when I agree!

Great observation on the Arteta situation.

They bloody were the days we tacoted both
If we deservedly beat teams by 3-4 goals (or more) they will end up looking inept most of the time.

Making good, or even fairly good, teams look inept is a good thing. We all wish we would do that more often. If we can't, or until we can, I'll take what we're doing now.

If we deservedly beat teams by 3-4 goals (or more) they will end up looking inept most of the time.

Making good, or even fairly good, teams look inept is a good thing. We all wish we would do that more often. If we can't, or until we can, I'll take what we're doing now.

8 games out of 20 this season that we have scored 3 or more ...

Considering it’s getting criticises inspite of results (fans and media!) that’s a given.

The effectives of the tactics needed this kind of start to get the buy in from players and (most) fans. If we face a situation where the conservative approach doesn’t work we can write it off if it’s rare / points are in the bank. If it consistently doesn’t work, then like any strategy it will be questioned. When we were under AVB I always felt the high line and relying on Bale to score a worldy was not sustainable, what we have now is a little reliance on our opponent wanting to attack but some comfort that we are less likely to give opponents a 1-0 head start that allows them to play the counter. I can’t remember the last time we put more than 2 last a Goon team in the league so I’m not sure why only winning 2-0 is an issue - The approach has been perfect for the last 3 leagues games imo, the challenge will be the approach to teams who we expect to beat and are happy to play for a point. I’m hoping that we’ll swap Sissoko for someone more attack minded and shuffle the RWF role to give some variety - those two roles, in the sense if their attacking contribution are the ones that need to deliver in some of those matches for us to potentially challenge as opposed to be top 4.

Having 32 percent of the ball isn't as easy with a fudge ton of home fans wanting something else and I appreciate your viewpoints (although Siss is the GOAT :D)

I honestly just try not to fudge with the negative energy that comes even from our own fans these days. It doesn't seem worth arguing as some things speak for themselves; like the league table for example :eek:

I totally agree. Unfortunately I think recency bias is human nature, though some are more susceptible to it than others!

Indeed, in 16/17 we had the best defensive record in the league - 26 goals conceded. We're currently on track for 31 goals conceded - a fantastic achievement, but not quite as good as Poch's best season.
And we smashed so many teams at home too.. Those were happy days. But I also remember the disappointment of finishing behind Chelsea when imho we were the best team in the league. It is no secret I loved Poch but with a deeper squad this time I really think we are in a better position to finish 1 better. I am really excited about us being champions after 40 years of supporting this wretched club, it would not be before time.

I think it's only the last handful of games where the talk of 'boring' has really taken off. And I don't think it's just because we're 'defending properly'. It's because in the last three games we've had 4,5 and 6 shots respectively. I think it's very reasonable for some fans to find that boring to watch (I certainly did). But it's also reasonable to think it's worth it for the three great results we achieved (personally I do), and to recognise that in many other games this season we've been free-scoring and less boring to watch. None of these things are mutually exclusive!

I think it's only the last handful of games where the talk of 'boring' has really taken off. And I don't think it's just because we're 'defending properly'. It's because in the last three games we've had 4,5 and 6 shots respectively. I think it's very reasonable for I think that I am a better football fan than the rest of you to find that boring to watch (I certainly did). But it's also reasonable to think it's worth it for the three great results we achieved (personally I do), and to recognise that in many other games this season we've been free-scoring and less boring to watch. None of these things are mutually exclusive!

Good post. I find all our games exciting because I'm emotionally invested in them. I'd have found the United, Southampton and West Ham games entertaining as a neutral because they were very entertaining games. But as a neutral, I probably wouldn't be as enthused about the City, Chelsea and Woolwich games. We played very cleverly but I'd be shouting "anti football" if it wasn't us. And, to be fair, when Mourinho did this at Chelsea and even Inter, there were no shortage of people shouting "anti football".

But if the players buy into it, we keep getting results and we win stuff, I really don't care how he does it.

I think it's only the last handful of games where the talk of 'boring' has really taken off. And I don't think it's just because we're 'defending properly'. It's because in the last three games we've had 4,5 and 6 shots respectively. I think it's very reasonable for I think that I am a better football fan than the rest of you to find that boring to watch (I certainly did). But it's also reasonable to think it's worth it for the three great results we achieved (personally I do), and to recognise that in many other games this season we've been free-scoring and less boring to watch. None of these things are mutually exclusive!

Yes, but context works both ways

- When you make your chances early, score early and then manage out the game, it affects things like your shot statistics (which a few other posters have pointed out)

My issue still remains the fudging laziness of the narrative in general

- If Klopp/Pep's side plays absolute brick and grinds out a lucky ass/deflected/OG type win = pundits view "sign of a great team, winning when not playing at 100%"
- Spurs completely controls a game for the full 90, our keeper makes one real save, we win by 2 goals and keep a clean sheet = "boring football, don't know how long the fans can take it"

It's been done to death at this point, could we play more gung ho? = sure, is anyone really go to say our/pundit advice on how to get actual results vs. Jose is even a question = fudge no, leave Jose to do what Jose does .. that is .. win

Spot on.

I want to see us being exciting, easy on the eye, but I care about results a lot more.

There's plenty to be excited about with the way we've played in recent weeks too.

My only concern is if we'll be able to turn on that attacking football when we need it. Against teams that park the bus and are happy to play for a draw and hope for a counter attack themselves. Or if we go behind in a big game.

I think we need to keep developing that side of our game too. That would make games more exciting, but most importantly it would help us win games. I accept that this takes time, and that the foundation of defensive solidity can be important for that too.

See i think Mourinho has been very smart in mitigating the loss of an in form Eriksen. He simply adapted the system where Kane drops into a pocket and can create a chance or run with the ball and smash one in.

If we have to force the issue we drop sissoko and play Gio and Tanguy further up the field to create movement and space.

Perhaps we could do with a playmaker or a box to box midfield player to cover sissoko in games where we dont need to sit so deep

Back