• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

I'm giving them both the scope to become that guy but until either actually does it for England I'm holding off giving them the tag as being England saviour.
Nobody is talking about them being the saviour, just square pegs for square holes. And why pick them in the squad if there is no chance of them playing unless 15 other players get injured? Might as well have brought the extra left back and Henderson instead.

Nobody is talking about them being the saviour, just square pegs for square holes. And why pick them in the squad if there is no chance of them playing unless 15 other players get injured? Might as well have brought the extra left back and Henderson instead.
Dude you're talking about Southgate. He's selections having always been a little strange.

That would have meant him picking a balanced squad
He bottled what was needed to pick his favourites and then make some of them look poor playing out of position

If only England had players playing at the highest level like Austria. Germany play a left back from Stuttgart. If only they had someone from a bigger club they could play out of position at left back instead. Argentina at the World Cup etc etc etc.

It's very rare that even the big teams have only big name players at big clubs in the team. France are playing Rabiot, I wouldn't want us to sign him on a free on the wages of an academy player, but it works for France. Even though they're leaving a "better" player and bigger name playing for a bigger club on the bench.
The Stuttgart that finished 2nd above Bayern Munich?

England have players with minutes from mid table brick like United, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Palace, West Ham and Everton.

I'm giving them both the scope to become that guy but until either actually does it for England I'm holding off giving them the tag as being England saviour.

It has happened before. 1986 Lineker and Beardsley emerged very late to come in for Hateley and Woodrooster. The same happened in 1990 with Gazza and Platt for Robson and Webb. Young players being given a chance at a tournament as a last throw of the dice when the established players were not doing it, and massively succeeding

It has happened before. 1986 Lineker and Beardsley emerged very late to come in for Hateley and Woodrooster. The same happened in 1990 with Gazza and Platt for Robson and Webb. Young players being given a chance at a tournament as a last throw of the dice when the established players were not doing it, and massively succeeding
I'm not doubting either of them tbh, it's just I don't want to unduly put so much pressure by expecting either to be the fix to a massive problem. It feels a little like there's an expectation that if Wharton or Mainoo are selected all will be well with the England team and I think that's probably untrue and a lot of pressure on either young shoulders. Hence me sort of seeing it like, give them the chance and if they do match the perceived potential then great but let's not put all the hope on them to be the ultimate fix. It might not work out that way.

I'm not doubting either of them tbh, it's just I don't want to unduly put so much pressure by expecting either to be the fix to a massive problem. It feels a little like there's an expectation that if Wharton or Mainoo are selected all will be well with the England team and I think that's probably untrue and a lot of pressure on either young shoulders. Hence me sort of seeing it like, give them the chance and if they do match the perceived potential then great but let's not put all the hope on them to be the ultimate fix. It might not work out that way.
It won't be a total fix, just a fix for midfield and getting the ball forward. The balance of the forward players need to be sorted too.
For me Bellingham should be dropped and Foden playing behind Kane. Could make an arguement for the other way around too, but it's not working with both playing.

It won't be a total fix, just a fix for midfield and getting the ball forward. The balance of the forward players need to be sorted too.
For me Bellingham should be dropped and Foden playing behind Kane. Could make an arguement for the other way around too, but it's not working with both playing.

The more I think about it, I’m not sure you can have Bellingham and Foden in the same team as Bellingham excels playing the number 10 which is where Foden also happens to play best. But England being England we try and shoehorn everyone into the team even if it leaves the team unbalanced. Wouldn’t surprise me if Saka plays left back tomorrow and Palmer plays right wing when Saka should just be dropped for Palmer like for like.

Back