• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

The Scots go to enjoy themselves, lots of bravado but they realise they are not going to win and make the most of the occasion, English fans are arrogant and driven on by jingoistic media believe they have a right to win, not all behave badly but enough do to make them the pariahs of football. Travelling abroad its virtually always English men I see getting drunk and behaving like animals and they wonder why no one likes us, no self awareness or self respect.
Not ALL of their media members are like this, but many are.

I recall dreading being trapped in a media shuttle bus at Mexico '86 with well-known English football writer Brian Glanville and his droning, opinionated proclamations. Once was enough to make me spend money on a taxi when a second opportunity looked likely. I met others who showed little respect for FIFA officials or foreign media.

But photographer David Cannon, then with AllSport and now Getty Images leading golf photog, was one of the nicest and most interesting people.

An other dreadful performance, good but not great players looking clueless and lacking confidence. England are one of the few teams I've seen who love a 5 yards pass to a stationary team mate and rinse and repeat. So far the only player who has enhanced his reputation is Guehi.

If your team has weaknesses, you play to your strengths. Look at Austria! Ragnik has them very well coached, as expected. They play to their strengths. Physical football and positional discipline. Same with Denmark. They have one real game changer in Eriksen, and the coach Hjulmand has said that what they do, is try to control the ball, and find Eriksen in space, as he can come up with some magic.

Alternatively, get free kicks for Eriksen to deliver. Get corner kicks for Eriksen to deliver. Why? Because he's bloody good at taking them, and they have several players that are really good in the air, and poachers in the box. Playing to your strengths and a style that suits the players selected.

can't see where the next goal comes from

can't see a win against anyone in a knock out game
England will still rightfully be favourites against most of the teams on that side of the draw. Even playing like this you're defensively solid and have individuals capable of coming up with a special moment. Real quality on the bench too when legs start tiring. Often that's enough.

But it's far from good enough and Southgate looks no closer to finding a solution unless Shaw somehow returns and is immediately good.

Seriously. Gallagher... Having come on twice as a sub with little to no impact that's the "solution". Gallagher is a good player, but fixes nothing.

Already through, less pressure, up against a team very happy to play for the draw. Chance to rest a couple of big players instead of just further wearing them out, chance to try something a bit different to see what could work. Nope. More of the same, but with Gallagher.

I don't understand English fans. Who do you think you are helping by booing and throwing cups at the team and manager? This isn't FIFA or FM! I listen to commentators and they think solution is press more, bring on more runners, etc hmmm

That said England are in the next round and they do have a chance. Teams that gel as the tournament progresses are dangerous. As long as one is in it, one has a chance.

Last edited:
I don't understand English fans. Who do you think you are helping by booing and throwing cups at the team and manager? This isn't FIFA or FM! I listen to commentators and they think solution is press more, bring on more runners, etc hmmm
The fans who make massive sacrifices to follow their team in major tournaments all around the world and all they want along with all the fans at home is to watch an England team who on paper should be one of the most positive attacking teams we've ever had play sideways, backwards, boring, turgid football due the manager's brick tactics and ridiculous stubborn team selections

fudge him he deserves the pelters

The fans who make massive sacrifices to follow their team in major tournaments all around the world and all they want along with all the fans at home is to watch an England team who on paper should be one of the most positive attacking teams we've ever had play sideways, backwards, boring, turgid football due the manager's brick tactics and ridiculous stubborn team selections

fudge him he deserves the pelters
You don't have the players to play how they think you should play. Your manager has done well to get you to this stage.

You don't have the players to play how they think you should play. Your manager has done well to get you to this stage.
Kane, Foden, and Bellingham are some of the best attacking players in the world. They've also decent/good attacking players in Palmer, Saka, and Gordon. They most definitely should be playing more attacking football and have the players for it.
The only reason they don't is because Southgate is a coward and is more interested in not conceding rather than going out to win a game.

Kane, Foden, and Bellingham are some of the best attacking players in the world. They've also decent/good attacking players in Palmer, Saka, and Gordon. They most definitely should be playing more attacking football and have the players for it.
The only reason they don't is because Southgate is a coward and is more interested in not conceding rather than going out to win a game.
You need more than that though IMO. They need a midfielder in the Modric/Xavi mould who can dictate a game and get those lads playing. This is why James McClean's analysis of Declan Rice wasn't actually too far wide of the mark.

It was the same in 2006 when you had lads like Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Owen and Rooney yet they were still bloody ordinary to watch.

Each of those people play in clubs with non-English world class quality midfielders. England doesn't have the kind of midfielders. Palmer, Gordon are meh players at international level. You are overhyping them. Southgate has been pragmatic. It is the same crap I heard when people said Alli is as good a playmaker as Eriksen, or Madisson can do what Eriksen does or Foden can do what De Bruyne does. They can't. I don't know what happens when these players grow up but they don't have it. I am not afraid of a team at the international level with Saka, Palmer, Gordon and Foden. Kane and Bellingham are your only offensive class players. Stop using EPL performances to judge quality of player. I dare say Ndombele would give England's midfield more creativity than it has now. That is how other nations view your team.

You need more than that though IMO. They need a midfielder in the Modric/Xavi mould who can dictate a game and get those lads playing. This is why James McClean's analysis of Declan Rice wasn't actually too far wide of the mark.

It was the same in 2006 when you had lads like Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Owen and Rooney yet they were still bloody ordinary to watch.
Thank you. Portugal now has Vitinha doing that in the Euros. Rice, Gallagher, TAA don't have that skillset.

Thank you. Portugal now has Vitinha doing that in the Euros. Rice, Gallagher, TAA don't have that skillset.

Do you think Grealish could have done this for us?
I know a lot of people don't rate him, but for me I would have built the team around him similar to his role at Villa.

That's the problem. Gallagher, Rice, Bellingham = zero creativity

An other dreadful performance, good but not great players looking clueless and lacking confidence. England are one of the few teams I've seen who love a 5 yards pass to a stationary team mate and rinse and repeat. So far the only player who has enhanced his reputation is Guehi.

Have to say Stones has also played well. (Although speaks volumes that our two "best" players are above average centre backs).

Back