• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Goes without saying we'd all rather they all play well AND score, but I'd take playing crap but scoring over playing crap and not scoring as Lamela has done for the majority of games this season.

Agreed, can't believe anyone is actually comparing Lamela to Chadli .. Chadli is a midfielder with double figures in goals, also is involved in more goals (combined goals/assists) that anyone bar Kane.

The whole "he doesn't do anything but score goals" statement is unbelievable .. goals win matches .. not workrate/effort/tricks ..

Agreed, can't believe anyone is actually comparing Lamela to Chadli .. Chadli is a midfielder with double figures in goals, also is involved in more goals (combined goals/assists) that anyone bar Kane.

The whole "he doesn't do anything but score goals" statement is unbelievable .. goals win matches .. not workrate/effort/tricks ..

Yes but we do not win every game and thats kind of the point. Chadli may get a few goals but where is he in the games we are poor in (which is alot this season)? If he is a match winner he should be the difference between the 2 teams but he isn't and is more inconsistent than Eriksen who gets criticism for just that.

Goes without saying we'd all rather they all play well AND score, but I'd take playing crap but scoring over playing crap and not scoring as Lamela has done for the majority of games this season.

Sure thing...

That's not really what's being discussed here though.

It's fair to rate a player that regularly scores "enough" goals because of those goals ignoring overall performance. I don't think many people would disagree.

Which comparison between Lamela and Chadli are you talking about??? Perhaps you could believe it if you realized that the only real comparison between the two has been their performance in the City match and a statement that Chadli does get rated for his goals...

"What do you do with a problem like Lamela?" (with apologies to the Sound of Music)

I am pretty sure we will be able to get a decent refund if we sell him this summer. His stock is still high in Italy and - like Soldado - the amount of money we have paid Roma up till now is unlikely to be close to the max 30 mill price tag.

Up till last month I would have had no hesitation to say... get rid. However, since the Saudi Sportswashing Machine debacle, he has shown some promise - though still underwhelming in my eyes. So what do you do?

Give him another year? This would however mean that we do not buy anyone for the problematic RW position relying either on him improving (massive gamble) or if not, that Townsend will prove a capable replacement (an equally big gamble) or that Pritchard can take to the Premiership like a duck to water and replicate his Brentford form (a even bigger gamble).

Buy a class player who would give him competition at RW? Looks great on paper but it will mean diverting resources from the areas we all seem to agree are needed: commanding centre back, midfield pivot and a striker to supplement Kane and also allow us to play 2 up front if needed.

In addition, another year of Lamela on the sidelines will mean we can write off his fee since any subsequent transfer fee will be massively compromised.

"What do you do with a problem like Lamela?" (with apologies to the Sound of Music)

I am pretty sure we will be able to get a decent refund if we sell him this summer. His stock is still high in Italy and - like Soldado - the amount of money we have paid Roma up till now is unlikely to be close to the max 30 mill price tag.

Up till last month I would have had no hesitation to say... get rid. However, since the Saudi Sportswashing Machine debacle, he has shown some promise - though still underwhelming in my eyes. So what do you do?

Give him another year? This would however mean that we do not buy anyone for the problematic RW position relying either on him improving (massive gamble) or if not, that Townsend will prove a capable replacement (an equally big gamble) or that Pritchard can take to the Premiership like a duck to water and replicate his Brentford form (a even bigger gamble).

Buy a class player who would give him competition at RW? Looks great on paper but it will mean diverting resources from the areas we all seem to agree are needed: commanding centre back, midfield pivot and a striker to supplement Kane and also allow us to play 2 up front if needed.

In addition, another year of Lamela on the sidelines will mean we can write off his fee since any subsequent transfer fee will be massively compromised.

Except we need competition for places for those 3 attacking midfield positions regardless. It's one of the areas resources should be allocated to.

We can sell either Lamela or Townsend, bring in competition and let them fight it out for the starting spot...

Except we need competition for places for those 3 attacking midfield positions regardless. It's one of the areas resources should be allocated to.

We can sell either Lamela or Townsend, bring in competition and let them fight it out for the starting spot...

That +some decision around Lennon, but 1 of those two goes, we invest in the RW (best player we can get/afford) and how good that player is determines who starts next season as number 1 or not.

RW/Striker/more defensive minded midfielder are our investment areas this summer unless we lose someone we don't want to (Hugo/Vert/Eriksen)

3 or so youth players (Pritchard/Alli & co) can provide the squad depth/options we need for cup/europe

I just think Lamella will be a scenario similar to Rose. Rose was someone who last season whilst the majority were saying needed to be sold, or was backup at best I stuck up for and just didn't see why so many were overly harsh with. I could see his positive attributes and whilst he did make mistakes I looked past that because I believed in his talent I saw on the pitch,the positive attitude he possesses and even the aggression many saw as a negative I believed once he matured would turn that into a positive and haven't been overly surprised by his performance levels this season, even if he has stepped it up a level.

For me I suggest the same of Lamella. He can do things others can't,it's as simple as that. He has the skill, yet still possesses that hunger to work hard for the team. His downfall is his sloppiness in possession and for someone who has his talent I don't know why he at times can be infuriatingly careless but I don't think this will continue for a lengthy period of time. He's still young, and many young talented players have lacked the desired level of end product at Lamellas age and still gone on to be fine players and I don't doubt for a second Lamella will be any different. He's too talented not to succeed, and he's physically up to the rigours of the PL. There is nothing stopping him and I predict next season we will see him step up a level in the way Rose has this season and just like with Rose we will see countless posters admit their surprise at the level of performances. I for one won't be....

I just think Lamella will be a scenario similar to Rose. Rose was someone who last season whilst the majority were saying needed to be sold, or was backup at best I stuck up for and just didn't see why so many were overly harsh with. I could see his positive attributes and whilst he did make mistakes I looked past that because I believed in his talent I saw on the pitch,the positive attitude he possesses and even the aggression many saw as a negative I believed once he matured would turn that into a positive and haven't been overly surprised by his performance levels this season, even if he has stepped it up a level.

For me I suggest the same of Lamella. He can do things others can't,it's as simple as that. He has the skill, yet still possesses that hunger to work hard for the team. His downfall is his sloppiness in possession and for someone who has his talent I don't know why he at times can be infuriatingly careless but I don't think this will continue for a lengthy period of time. He's still young, and many young talented players have lacked the desired level of end product at Lamellas age and still gone on to be fine players and I don't doubt for a second Lamella will be any different. He's too talented not to succeed, and he's physically up to the rigours of the PL. There is nothing stopping him and I predict next season we will see him step up a level in the way Rose has this season and just like with Rose we will see countless posters admit their surprise at the level of performances. I for one won't be....
I have to say, I slated Rose because he seemed so petulant, but his talent HAS shown through. I stand corrected.

I also feel Lamela just has that special something that he also so desperately wants to show and succeed with. GHod I so hope you are right harr1984.

My main concern though is in defence, we need a leader. Verts could be that guy, if he wanted. But I just feel he just doesn't believe in the club, team or himself. Remember when he used to score goals for us too ? hmmm

Lamela needs to be playing in that CAM position instead of out wide. I know most on here will think i'm crazy but I think we'd be better off if we sold Eriksen in the summer and let Lamela dictate forward play from the center. When Eriksen is in there our passing and movement on counter attacks slows down too much.

We need players that actually make runs off the back of the opposing LB and RB. Chadli, Eriksen, and Lamela all look for the ball played in front of them at their feet

Lamela needs to be playing in that CAM position instead of out wide. I know most on here will think i'm crazy but I think we'd be better off if we sold Eriksen in the summer and let Lamela dictate forward play from the center. When Eriksen is in there our passing and movement on counter attacks slows down too much.

We need players that actually make runs off the back of the opposing LB and RB. Chadli, Eriksen, and Lamela all look for the ball played in front of them at their feet

Mate .. I assume you are drunk or Spurs has finally driven you mad ...

Apart from the selling of Eriksen , I agree with the rest of your post .

its frustrating that when lamela has started showing what he can do, eriksen is off form. Always seems to be the case at Spurs though.

its frustrating that when lamela has started showing what he can do, eriksen is off form. Always seems to be the case at Spurs though.

Nothing specific to Spurs about it. When the experience in your front 6 is provided by 25 year old Nacer Chadli and 23 year old Christian Eriksen inconsistency is going to be a problem.

The frustrating thing is that behind the first choice of Bentaleb, Mason; Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli; Kane the competition for places and squad options have been so poor that when drops in form have happened we've had no better options than to just have players play through it or occasionally get replaced by players like Soldado, Townsend, Adebayor, Dembele and Paulinho who've had a at best limited impact.

Hopefully come August there will be more competition for places and better squad options.

I'm for keeping Lamela, but not as the clear first choice in any position.

We need a RWF and a more creative player in the hole, but only if we get both should we sell Eriksen.

I'm with Jordinho, Lamela hasn't done anywhere near enough to justify usurping Eriksen, who has been one of our best players this season after Kane and Danny Rose respectively. At the other end of the spectrum, Lamela has been the most disappointing player. Does Eriksen need to improve? Absolutely he does no arguement there, but selling a player who actually scores goals when we only have 3 players in the entire squad who score is insanity. Lamela hasn't proved himself in England despite his reputation in Serie A.

I'd say he wants a few more months in the gym as well. He's what, 2 years older than Bale was when he had his breakout season? And yet he still looks like some teenage goth.

Back