• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

How much will we spend this summer?

What will be our net spend this summer?

• Total voters
in the 'which positions. . .' thread i said i think we require 6 players to balance out the 25 man squad - 3 of which being for the first eleven and 3 for back up - seems a reasonable intake for a side which is still switching from the previous mangers team to the new one.

id like to think it's a job which can be done over one summer and one which can be done on on the 20m or so net spend i envisage (making 20m or so in player sales as well)

Less. Based on the evidence of the past few windows.

I'm not sure who we could even spend the Bale money on.

I think most of our spending in 08 and 09 is now close to written off in the accounts. The number crunchers at the club will have put together scenarios for our cash flow in the coming years, depending on when the stadium work gets underway, but we can still spend big(ish) in one or two windows if we do very little in others. It all depends on who is available and at what price.

Going by what kind of players we need right now and who we can sell to raise cash I don't think £20 million net spend is out of the question.

fRqR6Ch.jpg

amazing bit of business there for arsenal init, using players to fund their stadium.
with that out of the way and new much improved sponsorships, i think we'll see them in the top 5 in 2013-4.

I have said all this before so apologies but I thought it might be interesting to get a debate going about our finances.
I have kept a spreadsheet with all our transfer deals on it for many years. When my old computer broke I lost all the details but I can say that since Levy arrived our net spend per year up to 2012 averaged only a couple of million even taking into account the mega spend when Harry took over.
From 2012 to date we have spent £112.5 mill and received £95 mill. That is a net spend of £17.5 mill over 2 years.
Factor in the new TV money, up to £15 mill on sales and the reported Lewis loan I think we could be in for an astonishing 2 weeks.
And that is not including Bale.

Net spend. how much have we left after Bale?

IN
Paulinho £17m
Chadli £7m
Soldado £26m
Capoue £8.6
Total £58.6

OUT
Caulker £9m
Dempsey £6m
Huddlestone £5.25m
Parker £3.5m
Dos Santos £3m (50% sell on fee from gds's transfer from Mallorca to Villreal)
Total £23.75m

Net transfers so far : £-31.85m

Future
In

Willian £30m
Lamela £25m

Out
Bale £93m

Net transfers after Bale : £+6.15m

Extra TV money for this season £30m ish

That would leave us with 36m ish to spend (ignoring any Joe Lewis loan) with possibly the likes of Townsend, BAE and Adebayor bringing in another 15m in incoming transfer fees.

Last edited:
Re: Net spend. how much have we left after Bale?

It's impossible to know as we don't know the exact figures for everyone, how much has been paid up front, how much will be paid in installments and how much is dependent on clauses, not to mention sign-on fees and bribing of the agents.

It's impossible to know as we don't know the exact figures for everyone, how much has been paid up front, how much will be paid in installments and how much is dependent on clauses, not to mention sign-on fees and bribing of the agents.

True but its fun guessing.
And loads of people are starting to think we have unlimited money. This is a bit more realistic.

Why ignore a joe lewis loan tho? Aint u heard he's loaning us 50milliom blimey everyone knows that

Even estimates might leave you way outside the ballpark and you have to look at more than one window, more like 4 years to get a better idea of any net spend.

Why ignore a joe lewis loan tho? Aint u heard he's loaning us 50milliom blimey everyone knows that

One of the ITKs said the loan was just to pay transfer fees upfront.
It could just be an easier way to get credit than from the banks.

What happened to the surplus in the year we sold Modric, VDV, Krunchie, Pienaar Dos Santos? We brought in a handful like Dembele, Siggy, Loris, Deuce, Holtby but I thought we had something like 10 mil spare change.

One of the ITKs said the loan was just to pay transfer fees upfront.
It could just be an easier way to get credit than from the banks.

Sarcasm mate. There is no loan. We're breaking breaking even again. So much for pushing on.

I don't know it. So clearly everyone doesn't. I haven't seen a single reputable source for that information. "Some bloke on twitter and The Daily Star" just don't cut it in my view.

Also, even if it's true, aside from Lewis, Levy and a handful of accountants - all of whom are likely to value their jobs too much to starting leaking stuff online for no gain other than an audience of anonymous usernames - how does anyone know what the purpose of the loan is. Right at this point in our club's development if you told me that a usually absentee landlord has offered a large interest-free loan, the obvious conclusion to make is that it's covering a shortfall in the stadium development funds.

I don't know the loan exists; but if it does I'd give good odds on it being specifically tied to the new stadium. Especially when - as has been demonstrated already - our summer spending can be easily explained without the "loan" being involved.

Back