• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Happy Klinsmanniversary - 20 years ago today, Jurgen taught the yids to play

Gutter Boy

Tim Sherwood
I mentioned this in another thread, but thought it perhaps deserved its own one.

20 years ago today, we stunned football by announcing out-of-the-blue, the signing of probably the world's best centre forward (van Basten was probably better, but was suffering a lot of injuries by then). It was the most spectacular signing in our history.

Now this was in an age 4 or so years before the internet became mass usage - where the only sources of football rumours was Teletext and Clubcall. There had been no indication whatsoever that this was on the cards.

Our parents had their 'where you were when you heard about JFK moment'. For us it was 'where were you when you heard about Klinsmann moment'.

So what do you remember about Friday 29/7/94? Mine was not glamorous - I heard it on the radio in a lorry cab having just picked up some fish and chips. But I can still remember the incredible shock, disbelief and delight.

Happy Klinsmanniversary

Jurgen-Klinsmann-Tottenham.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...engthy-pursuit-of-german-forward-1417142.html

I read it on tele-text and was sure it was a joke. Could not believe it. When they confirmed it on the sports news later on, my neighbour (also a Spurs-fan) and I had a spontaneous little football party out in the street.

It's funny that we still remember that. :lol:

Sat in the lounge reading it on Teletext, can still picture it.

Can't believe that was 20 years ago, feel old now :terry:

Sat in the lounge reading it on Teletext, can still picture it.

Can't believe that was 20 years ago, feel old now :terry:

Always bugs me the reverence he gets on here. Stayed one year, we helped get him back in the limelight and then he buggered off first chance he could. Came back to help us stay up but we was doing him the favour again. hardly lit it up apart from the 4 goal haul on the last game.

Good player. Good finisher. Buggered off.

He was, and is, a huge name in world football, was just a massive signing back in the day. In my time there's not been anything bigger, that's why it's stuck with us all.

I was ****ed with him when he fooked off though, in true Spurs style just when you think it's all coming up roses it all goes to **** :lol:

He and Mabbutt were in talks to take over as joint managers in spring 1998 (according to Mabbutt on the Spurs Show recently). But then Gross got a few better results and it never happened

A great signing, the highlight of the sugar era.

I never really understood why he left, he always talked so fondly of his time at WHL.

Every transfer window I dream about signing a world class player like him again i.e. a galactico type.

Was working that morning, heard it on the news, asked my boss if I could take an early lunch and ran straight to the bookies down the road and put £5 on Spurs to win the title

I remember reading this on Teletext as a 9 year old as if it was yesterday! Page 140 for Football, 141 for the story :)

What a coup - as far as I'm concerned, he was the signing that paved the way for the foreign influx of major foreign stars to the Premiership...set the trend.
And that debut goal at Hillsborough, the infamous celebration egged on by Sheringham - great, exciting days even if it did peter out after only one season.
I loved the way this unpopular diving German won everyone over, not just Spurs fans - football fans in general, with his friendly charm, likeable manner & humble demeanor....for such a world class superstar, he really was down to earth, ambling around in his clapped out beetle...really wished he stayed longer, even though Sugar was probably right in what he said at the time, I still didn't like his "wouldn't use his shirt to wash my car with" comments!

GHod I'd love another one of these type of signings like Klinsmann or VDV. David's probably also falls into that bracket. A genuine world star arriving at Spurs again. Imagine the buzz it would generate.

Round my mate house as a 15 year old, can even remember I was walking across the hall way when I heard it on his radio.. Was with three other Tottenham supporting mates.. Like you say its funny how the details stuck..

i was only 8 or 9 so didn't really know who he was at the time - remember being at The Lane plenty of times seeing him banging in the goals though, which always triggered the "Klinsmann wonderland" song. was at Selhurst Park during his second spell where he knocked in 4 to ensure our safety - how things have changed.

I was thirteen and it being the Summer holidays (with no internet or talkSPORT) checked teletext (BBC Sport - Page 302) just before going to have a kickabout with a local mate who was a gooner. Klinsmann had been linked with Everton not long before so was stunned to see the headline and the definite nature of it, rather than speculation. My mate didn't believe me and said it was only a rumour and that he would never join Spurs!!

I was abroad on holiday for the SHeffield Wednesday game and flew home from New York as the Everton game was played so had to wait for the morning to get a newspaper at Heathrow Airport. That was Klinsmania!

Still remember how excited me and my Dad were when we signed him, I was 9 at the time. If only we had had a better manager at the time, we had some awesome attacking talent.

Refresh my memory, what did Klinsmann actually say when he left Spurs? Don't recall him saying or doing anything out of order. Players have left us in far worse fashion in recent years and our fans still idolise them.

Still remember how excited me and my Dad were when we signed him, I was 9 at the time. If only we had had a better manager at the time, we had some awesome attacking talent.

Refresh my memory, what did Klinsmann actually say when he left Spurs? Don't recall him saying or doing anything out of order. Players have left us in far worse fashion in recent years and our fans still idolise them.

No. It was just that he wanted to go to Bayern - schoolboy dream, the only club in the world he would leave us for - that kind of stuff.

Back