• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Formula One on Sky

I'd like to see some new teams dominant but it just seems so difficult to catch those teams at the front. I don't follow F1 too closely but how did Williams go from being a top team back in the day to a bit of a laughing stock nowadays!? Is it just a money thing.

Money and Frank Williams retiring and passing on. His daughter tried to keep it going but eventually had to sell, by which time they were a shadow of the old winning team.

I'd like to see some new teams dominant but it just seems so difficult to catch those teams at the front. I don't follow F1 too closely but how did Williams go from being a top team back in the day to a bit of a laughing stock nowadays!? Is it just a money thing.
They got left behind in the 90s. When everyone else had moved on to sophisticated computer software, custom built for every aspect of organising a formula 1 team, Williams tried to mange everything with Excel spreadsheets. They had virtually no control of anything, and it left them in a mess. Once they got someone in to get them on course, it was too late, and they don't have the financial resources to get back to where they were.

They got left behind in the 90s. When everyone else had moved on to sophisticated computer software, custom built for every aspect of organising a formula 1 team, Williams tried to mange everything with Excel spreadsheets. They had virtually no control of anything, and it left them in a mess. Once they got someone in to get them on course, it was too late, and they don't have the financial resources to get back to where they were.
Interesting, Thanks

Not sure about that one. I remember Alain Prost declaring the Williams car one of the most technologically advanced he’d driven. Its active ride system, controlled by software, would adapt to each corner and its cornering speeds were way ahead of other teams. It caused the FIA to ban this tech. Some of which you can find in road cars now - like Mclarens (the 12c etc).

Googled this https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...-behind-williams-fw15c.6IzOXYuuPYOWyaaGGS4AgS

In the 90s Williams were leading the way with the best designers. It was this Millennium they fell away, no?

Not sure about that one. I remember Alain Prost declaring the Williams car one of the most technologically advanced he’d driven. It would adapt to each corner and its cornering speeds were way ahead of other teams. It caused the FIA to ban the cornering tech. Some of which you can find in certain road cars now - like Mclarens (the 12c etc).

Googled this https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...-behind-williams-fw15c.6IzOXYuuPYOWyaaGGS4AgS

In the 90s Williams were leading the way. It was this Millennium they fell away, no?

They had Newey then, and Renault bending over backwards to give them the best engine.

The real change was the key engine manufacturers wanting their name front and centre on the time sheets.

They had Newey then, and Renault bending over backwards to give them the best engine.

The real change was the key engine manufacturers wanting their name front and centre on the time sheets.

The Williams car Prost won the championship in, was probably the start of F1 tech arms race. Nothing had been banned then, so designers like Newey could really innovate. Software was a big part of Williams success. But following this Williams car - that used software to adjust the suspension, ride height, and setup for each corner of a track, as well as using a blown diffuser etc - the FIA started to regulate. It was the start of modern F1 really. If you didn’t have that regulation the cars would become Scalextrics, cornering so fast you’d need remote controls as drivers would black out!

Not sure about that one. I remember Alain Prost declaring the Williams car one of the most technologically advanced he’d driven. Its active ride system, controlled by software, would adapt to each corner and its cornering speeds were way ahead of other teams. It caused the FIA to ban this tech. Some of which you can find in road cars now - like Mclarens (the 12c etc).

In the 90s Williams were leading the way with the best designers. It was this Millennium they fell away, no?
Up to the season before Senna died, they were the leading constructor. I figured everyone would know that, and that I meant the end of the 90s.

Up until just a few years ago, they did absolutely everything in excel! They had no control over inventory, what parts they had, which were in the making, which were finished. It was a total mess, and has been a big part of why they have struggled to get the car finished in time for the new seasons almost every year.

Some pretty hilarious and interesting conversations over the radio in this race! More entertaining than the race itself!

Verstappen needs to go to bed earlier. Staying up all night Sim racing the night before a Grand Prix clearly didn't help his mood! Behaved like an absolute clam all day!

FFS

Lewis Hamilton inherited victory in the Belgian Grand Prix after Mercedes team-mate George Russell was disqualified two and a half hours after taking an unlikely win on the track

McLaren have thrown points away this season. They could have won the drivers championship if they’d ’put the ball in the back of the net’. They have the fastest car now.

Keep Piastri between Noris and the Ferrari and it’s an easy win. A few races ago they could have let Noris win the GP. Crazy McLaren don’t use their current advantage.

I haven't watched the last few races but are Red Bull done now? I mean it's not just a blip is it? That's quite a few races in a row now since they won one and seem to be behind all their rivals.

Has all the behind the scenes stuff etc caught up with them or have the other teams just finally closed the gap?

Back