• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Football Trivia Question of the Day

If we are talking pre-EPL then there must have been a few. Under Bobby Robson they had a great team in the early 80's. Right to wrack my brain and try and recall my Panini sticker album :D

Mick Mills
Paul Marriner
Eric Gates? (I remember him more for being the smallest player in the album at 5ft 5)
Terry Butcher!!
Russell Osman...

I can picture the keeper but can't recall his name...

Incidentally they also had a player (Dutch I think) Frans Thissen - had a ball out in the shops at the time. It was a heavy weight ball that didn't need pumping up. Sold alongside the Captain's Ball and Wembley ball :D Okay, I digress...

Paul Cooper - keeper who often stood well off-centre for penalties to good effect
Kevin Beattie

Escape for Victory squad was built around Ipswich

Mick Mills (42 caps 1972-82), Kevin Beattie (9 caps 1975-77), Paul Mariner (33 caps 1977-84), Russell Osman (11 caps 1980-83), Terry Butcher (45 caps 1980-86) and Eric Gates (2 caps 1980) are all correct.

Five more to get...

Paul Cooper - keeper who often stood well off-centre for penalties to good effect
Kevin Beattie

Escape for Victory squad was built around Ipswich

That's the one! good man. Actually perhaps he wouldn't have played for England considering the exceptional competition in Clemence and Shilton.

Sunday's answer: Ray Crawford (2 caps 1961-62), Mick Mills (42 caps 1972-82), Kevin Beattie (9 caps 1975-77), Colin Viljoen (2 caps 1975), David Johnson (3 caps 1975), Paul Mariner (33 caps 1977-84), Brian Talbot (5 caps 1977), Trevor Whymark (1 cap 1977), Russell Osman (11 caps 1980-83), Terry Butcher (45 caps 1980-86), Eric Gates (2 caps 1980) and Richard Wright (1 cap 2000).

Ipswich Town FC Player of the Year 1973 - 2013

Monday 1st July 2013:

Which 6 non-Russian clubs won the Soviet Union Football League Championship?

Dinamo Kiev
Dinamo Tblisi
Lokomotiv Tblisi
Dinamo Minsk

OK that's exhausted my ex-Russia large club knowledge :)

Last edited:
Back