• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

FA Cup Thread

Did someone put the wrong balls in the freezer?

Or do they want the Nigel Clough/Sheff Utd underdog story? 125th anniversary in just 13 days.

Did someone put the wrong balls in the freezer?

Or do they want the Nigel Clough/Sheff Utd underdog story? 125th anniversary in just 13 days.

I have to say my belief that semi-final draws are rigged has diminished. Thats another one I didnt see coming, just like last season

another showpiece FA cup final to look forward to then:lol:

@GaryLineker: By my reckoning the draw means 7th place in the Premier League will no longer gain a spot in the Europa League. Every cloud... :-k

@GaryLineker: By my reckoning the draw means 7th place in the Premier League will no longer gain a spot in the Europa League. Every cloud... :-k

But of all the seasons to be in it, next season would be. Obviously I want to see in the CL, but thats looking a dream too far now, but if not CL, I want us in the EL, especially now the winners go into CL 4th qual rd.

Been considering what Rösler could go on to achieve recently. His record in Norway was average, but it's been a neverending success at Brentford and Wigan. Certainly doesn't take **** from anyone and has the right ideas.

Brentford fan Callum Taylor said:
There is no other man I would rather have as our manager than Uwe. His passion and determination is there for all to see. When he came into the job we were just an average League One club who didn't have the greatest reputation when it came to playing nice football. That seemed to be his first plan, to change our philosophy and slowly but surely, he did. Now we our known for our attractive attacking play and week in week out, it is a joy to watch. I never want to see him leave and don't believe he will as he is loyal to this project which he has helped build and won’t leave until it is achieved.

Kevin O’Connor said:
I joined as an under-15. I’m now 31, so for me personally if we go up I could retire a happy man. It used to be a pipe dream. Now the infrastructure is here, it’s definitely going to happen. And it’s down to the gaffer.

He’s brilliant. Very structured, very organised, like you’d expect. But for me, communication is his real strength. He’s a good talker. He takes you aside if you’re not in the team, tries to explain why, which keeps the whole squad happy.

Brentford manager Uwe Rosler admits that he likes getting his hands dirty during training sessions as he doesn’t want to just sit in an office.

The Bees boss has an eye for detail and takes a keen interest in all aspects of the play, especially in the build-up to a match day.

“I think I’m very much hands on,” he told London24. “I’ll lead several training sessions in the week.

“I’ll leave training sessions to [coaches] Alan Kernaghan and Peter Farrell. Certain bits they’ll lead and in certain parts I’ll be in charge, especially a short time before.

“On a Thursday or Friday I’ll have 45 minutes each day that I’m coaching the team.

“The rest of the days I’m leaving things to my assistants and observing things more.

“I’m not a manager who sits in the office. I like to work with the players. I like to work individually with players and that was always my maxim.

“We have a sporting director who is dealing with a lot of off-field issues which gives me more time to work with the players and that is what I’m used to and what I wish to do in the future.”

Some football managers are seen looking to other sports for inspiration into improving their techniques.

Indeed, England manager Roy Hodgson has said he will hold discussions with his cricket counterpart, Andy Flower, as well as successful Lions coach Warren Gatland.

But Rosler is not taking specifics from other sports into his thinking – instead he is looking at football as a whole in terms of finding ways to improve.

“I’m not looking at basketball or ice hockey or hockey and taking techniques or formations of things into football,” he said. “I’m not doing that.

“I study the tendency in football and orientate myself on the best in international football.

“I like to analyse what is happening in the European Championships, World Cup, Champions League.

“Are there tendencies to how teams play, [try to] find if that is the right way for us to play and giving us success and [if] we change football. It’s an ongoing process.

“You’ll always have to find new ways. You find ways in terms of training, formations, style of play.”

Middlesex batting coach Mark Ramprakash revealed to London24 that the county have had sprinting experts come in to give structured advice.

Rosler, however, trusts the club’s sports science department to get things right and he admitted that he learns from them as he refines his art of managing and coaching.

“We have a sports science department and I leave it to them,” he said.

“We have quality people in Brentford - the head of medical, head of analysis, head of sport science.

“[They work] in cooperation with me, in terms of agreeing the way we’re coaching, training or treating our players.

“I’ll be giving all those departments confidence and trust and let them do their jobs. As long as I feel we have a very good communication between the units I’ll be very happy.

“I’m concentrating more on the football part but I want to be involved and have input in how we train and how we analyse things.

“I think it’s very important to give them room to expose themselves and express themselves.”

Rosler is clearly enjoying life in the Brentford hotseat and there is nothing better, in his eyes, than seeing his ideas put into practice on a match day.

He said: “I enjoy working with the players, seeing the players improve and [seeing] the hard work that we put in daily paying off in terms of how we want to play.

“It’s the most pleasant thing, seeing that transferred onto the field.”

The former Emirates Marketing Project striker’s management career started in Norway in 2005 with Lillestrom.

After working at Viking (2006-2009) and Molde (2010) he moved back to England and was appointed by the Bees in 2011.

While some managers might try to liken themselves to a particular body of inspiration, Rosler just looks to take the best bits from people he respected.

He said: “I always try to find people that I respect very much, who did very well in life or in the game, but I always try to take things out that they did very well.

“I never try to copy somebody. If you do that you’re only ever going to be second best.

“I always try to find my own identity and style. I selected a small group of people where I took advice on board.

“You can’t listen to everybody as a player or a manager. I had a small group of players that I searched advice from and discussed things with.”

His playing and management career came either side of a battle with chest cancer and he took inspiration from Lance Armstrong as he was recovering.

Rosler used to wear the Livestrong wristband, made famous by the American and his charity organisation, but removed it after the disgraced former cyclist admitted to extensive doping in order to win seven consecutive Tour de France titles.

“I think it was very much due to the fact that Lance Armstrong gave me a lot of courage with his books,” he admitted.

“He gave me inspiration when I was sick. I remember the first book I got. I’m not a bookworm but I think I did it in two or three days.

“It was fascinating to see someone who had gone through the same thing.

“That was the reason I had the Livestrong [wristband] on and supported it but after the revelation I changed my opinion about it.”

Rosler was speaking at the launch of the Brentford branded 65 bus, which promotes the value of the club’s ticketing policy (£35 for a family of four).

Speaking about the scheme, the Bees boss said: “We had that last year.

“It’s important that we get the bond with the local people and the local businesses to advertise and promoting Brentford FC.

“I think that it went down very well last year and we saw that more people came throughout the season.

“It’s very important that we carry on the good work from last year and find new ways to promote Brentford FC.

“It should be the aim to fill the stadium in normal circumstances. You see the average attendance has improved. It’s a significant improvement. We have to aim high and convince people through good football and good results but also good ideas, like pay what you want.

“We always have to find new ways to attract people into Griffin Park. We have to increase the cash coming into the club.

“We’re relying very much on [owner] Matthew Benham and we need to find new ways to bring in money.”

Rosler also revealed a little known fact about himself – he knows how to drive a bus.

“I did my driving license in some sort of German army,” he said.

“I wasn’t in the army but some sort of army people did their driving license and people from the outside could join in.

“I learnt to drive lorries, buses but I never did it outside my driving licence.”

http://www.london24.com/sport/brentford_boss_uwe_rosler_discusses_his_methods_inspirations_and_training_styles_1_2958779

Unfortunately its all in the stadium fund.

We only seem to spend what we get in from our outgoings, and sometimes less. I think we actually shown a profit in the last few. So it looks to me like we are just banking the Sky TV revenue and the monies you get from finishing 4th,5th,etc

It will probably happen again this summer. Ship out some deadwood, sell the CL wannabees, and rake in about £50m-£60m then spend £40-£50m, the balance and the £30m or more we get from Sky will probably go into the Stadium kitty.

Unless of course when you said we, you meant Arsenal.....(only joking)

I'd love to know what amount Levy has squirrelled away so far for the stadium project. The land grab must have been expensive but I sincerely hope our frugality in the transfer market has some upside in that the funding for the stadium has at least been partially met.

2-0 Wigan !!!!

WTF this is bad news, it means AFC could actually win the FA Cup !!!

Not if they have to play Wigan. They have done a number on City tactically and they would only have to tweak it a little bit for Arsenal.

Not if they have to play Wigan. They have done a number on City tactically and they would only have to tweak it a little bit for Arsenal.

I think AFC would win easily, be funny if they got to the final and like Brum lose it late on to say Sheff Utd or Hull

This season. You just have to laugh. Cannot explain how Wigan can do this yet they can stick 11 past us. Really need to look ourselves long and hard. Been a ridiculous season

Back