• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

FA Cup 23/24

Yeah, it's a fair point. But I still can't agree with it - sacking a proven trophy winner 6 days before a cup final is not what big clubs do even if Jose was a busted flush for us at that point. He still had a puncher's chance at winning that game - far more so than Mason.

Good business decision? Perhaps. Good football decision? I don't see it.

To be clear, I'm not a Levy basher or ENIC-out merchant by any stretch of the imagination. But every time I praise Levy, I do add the "he's made mistakes" disclaimer. This is one of those mistakes IMO.

It wasn't so much about the cup. It was that mourinho seemed to be giving up on a cl place. Resting players for the cup final. Levy and mourinho had a big argument. Things said. Mourinho gone.

Yes for fans and the manager a cup is more important. But for the club/levy cl is.

Cl £50-100m.
Fa cup £2m
League cup £500k.

It wasn't so much about the cup. It was that mourinho seemed to be giving up on a cl place. Resting players for the cup final. Levy and mourinho had a big argument. Things said. Mourinho gone.

Yes for fans and the manager a cup is more important. But for the club/levy cl is.

Cl £50-100m.
Fa cup £2m
League cup £500k.
Giving up on a CL place? We were 7th, next to no chance of getting top 4 that season. And it was one game potentially being sacrificed, not the rest of the season....

Cl £50-100m.
Fa cup £2m
League cup £500k.
The chances of making CL were slight. Looking at it now, we had to win the last 6 games. Not sure when the last time we won 6 consecutive league games and, in my 40 years supporting the club, that's been a rare occurrence. Think we did it under Poch towards the end of 16/17 but can't remember doing it other than that (Jol came close with his first wins IIRC). We did lose to Villa and Leeds and won the other 4 so you could say it was possible but history wasn't on our side.

This is where you look at Levy's priorities of business over trophies because undoubtedly he wants both - it's just about what importance he puts on both relative to each other. He seems like he'd rather take any chance of CL qualification over a much better chance of a domestic pot. And there is logic in that approach - but it's not really about footballing achievement - at least not in the short-medium term. And that's the argument his detractors throw at him regularly.

The chances of making CL were slight. Looking at it now, we had to win the last 6 games. Not sure when the last time we won 6 consecutive league games and, in my 40 years supporting the club, that's been a rare occurrence. Think we did it under Poch towards the end of 16/17 but can't remember doing it other than that (Jol came close with his first wins IIRC). We did lose to Villa and Leeds and won the other 4 so you could say it was possible but history wasn't on our side.

This is where you look at Levy's priorities of business over trophies because undoubtedly he wants both - it's just about what importance he puts on both relative to each other. He seems like he'd rather take any chance of CL qualification over a much better chance of a domestic pot. And there is logic in that approach - but it's not really about footballing achievement - at least not in the short-medium term. And that's the argument his detractors throw at him regularly.

Not saying he was right. I want a trophy as much as the next fan.

But lets face it the whole world prioritises the cl over domestic cups. That's why the winnings for each are such a difference.

Not saying he was right. I want a trophy as much as the next fan.

But lets face it the whole world prioritises the cl over domestic cups. That's why the winnings for each are such a difference.
Jose certainly didn’t albeit it’s a fair argument and I get the point. I can’t see any other club sacking their manager 6 days before a cup final though.

Jose certainly didn’t albeit it’s a fair argument and I get the point. I can’t see any other club sacking their manager 6 days before a cup final though.

As said above there was probably more to it.

I seriously doubt it was anything to do with bonuses though. How much of a bonus do you get for winning a competition that pays out £500k?

Spot on mate. That’s why I scoff at the notion that he’s the best chairman in the league/world. Commercially he most definitely would be in the conversation but on football matters I don’t see how anyone can say that with our lack of silverware.

Back