• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Euro 2024 - The European Football Championship

Quite the contrast between the two games yesterday...

Not sure who actually makes the decisions for Portugal on Ronaldo playing and how much. Don't particularly rate Martinez as a manager, but even not rating him starting and keeping Ronaldo on for 120 minutes twice just seems utterly baffling.

Hopefully the games today will be more like the Germany vs. Spain game.

quite enjoyed Vitinha in this tournament, not as careful with the ball tonight as he should have been though

also looked a little lightweight at times
Definitely a little lightweight, but also definitely quality. Him and Conceicao together in the team up against physicality certainly could have made for interesting viewing if both teams weren't so boring.

Quite the contrast between the two games yesterday...

Not sure who actually makes the decisions for Portugal on Ronaldo playing and how much. Don't particularly rate Martinez as a manager, but even not rating him starting and keeping Ronaldo on for 120 minutes twice just seems utterly baffling.

Hopefully the games today will be more like the Germany vs. Spain game.

Nothing against Portugal as a nation, but they have been quite unlikeable as a team for a number of years; Pepe, Ronaldo, Bruno Fernandes. I’ve got no reason to root against them normally but I’m always pleased whenever they get knocked out of a competition, even at age 39 it’s the Ronaldo show despite failing to score in 5 matches. He will probably still be calling the shots at the next World Cup.

As for France, they will most likely go on to win this competition either relying on their defence and the individual brilliance of Mbappe or they will win on penalties despite being even more boring to watch than England. I suppose if you win it doesn’t matter but Deschamps has made them so friggin dull.

Wonder if Martinez will have any regrets about being Ronaldo’s emotional support animal rather than the Portugal national team coach. Ronaldo is a bloody brilliant footballer but all this stuff detracts from his ability, all the sideshow stuff like his obsession with taking every free kick is really off putting. His drive is partly what makes him what he is but he needs to realise he’s not 29 anymore or even 33. And the other players in the team who haven’t won anything for their country unwilling to stand up to Ronaldo to their own detriment.

Last edited:
This tournament has shown a lot of the "big" teams need a lot of work, Croatia, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Netherlands, Scotland and England have all dissapointed. I wouldnt go over the local park to watch France.

My GHod, Southgate is such a boring pragmatist.
They interviewed him on the Beeb and he doubled down and tripled down on being super pragmatic and grinding along by being solid and putting pressure on the opponent and blah blah.
Never even implies England might play with some swagger and actually BEAT a team with good play.

My GHod, Southgate is such a boring pragmatist.
They interviewed him on the Beeb and he doubled down and tripled down on being super pragmatic and grinding along by being solid and putting pressure on the opponent and blah blah.
Never even implies England might play with some swagger and actually BEAT a team with good play.

Yep. Switzerland will attack us and we will sit back and rely on individual brilliance from Kane or Bellingham.

Feels like for this system to work we need chemistry between Foden and Bellingham, which has been near enough non existent so far. Still it's a change though, at least we're trying something.

This will no doubt be rather brick to watch though, quarter finals aren't meant to be easy and Switzerland are a good team.

Back