• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cycling thread

Visited Alpe d'Huez and Col d'Izoard today, then drove along the first part of today's stage from Guillestre to Jausiers. There were some decent climbs on that stretch too. Crazy French drivers spend more time on the wrong side of the road trying to get by you, only for you to catch up to them in no time as they're stuck behind a camper van.

Wondering if I should attempt to get to the finish of tomorrow's stage. The official site offers no info on how to get anywhere, just non-existing links.

We all know cycling is just an arms race of doping and getting away with what you can and staying one step ahead of the peloton and the authorities.
Yes there is talent and supreme hard work and sacrifice, but to get anywhere you need to be doing something shady or you'd be left in the dust.
Even your favourite cycling stars are doing some of this stuff, else they would get nowhere.

Yeh my hero was Mig Indurain and the Pirate, both were doping, I am at peace with it now

I almost went, but they had closed the road 8 kms away on the other side of the mountain. The organizing basically consists of putting a few policemen somewhere to tell people to go away.

Nowhere to park along the road either really, you'd have to leave the car halfway into a ditch and the other half still on the road or drive back to the previous village and walk an extra couple of kms. Didn't fancy that in the scorching sun, then walking back afterwards and drive for a couple of hours to find a hotel.

Did a scenic drive instead and enjoyed the car's AC while temperatures reached 37 outside and listened to French commentary on the radio. Got to a hotel just in time to see the finish.

I have the feeling someone at ITV4 has their suspicions regarding Pogacar…montage of him climbing shown over the titles at the end of yesterday’s show soundtracked by The Byrds’ Eight Miles High, the ultimate drug song.

The best way to enjoy the tdf is to accept the whole peloton are not so much about riding clean as not failing drug tests.

I still love it- although missed most of this year.

Long read but anyone who likes cycling should read it.

Yeah, shows the complications involved.

I don't worry too much about climb times in the 90's by known EPO users being beaten, with 30 years of improvements in equipment and preparation it would be a surprise if they weren't.

I am partly naive I'm sure, but I do think the sport is cleaner than the past overall, and nobody is doing the kind of thing that US Postal got up to. If there is anything in this carbon monoxide training, it sounds really dangerous, nobody should do it, but it's not "doping" as I define it, it's closer to altitude training than blood spinning.

On which, there is a line in the WADA rules about manipulating blood values, which is insane, as I manipulate mine every time I have a pint or a chocolate bar. We need to get better at defining the rules and measuring certain levels, not just in cycling, but in all pro sports.

Yeah, shows the complications involved.

I don't worry too much about climb times in the 90's by known EPO users being beaten, with 30 years of improvements in equipment and preparation it would be a surprise if they weren't.

I am partly naive I'm sure, but I do think the sport is cleaner than the past overall, and nobody is doing the kind of thing that US Postal got up to. If there is anything in this carbon monoxide training, it sounds really dangerous, nobody should do it, but it's not "doping" as I define it, it's closer to altitude training than blood spinning.

On which, there is a line in the WADA rules about manipulating blood values, which is insane, as I manipulate mine every time I have a pint or a chocolate bar. We need to get better at defining the rules and measuring certain levels, not just in cycling, but in all pro sports.
In the article it does mention caffeine as on the watch list. Im a lot slower these days and use some of the same stuff the cyclists use.

It helps me.

In the article it does mention caffeine as on the watch list. Im a lot slower these days and use some of the same stuff the cyclists use.

It helps me.

I think pretty much everyone is on caffeine, cyclist or not :D

Back