• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

Going back to the subject of Romero, I think he got heated up before the game, he wanted to show fellow Argentinians Poch and Enzo that he was the man. Then the Brazilian Thiago Silva body checked him and he went over and kicked out at the closest player and his fuse was lit.
Remember how he used to fight with the Brazilian Richarlison at Everton? I think Brazil is a huge rivalry for him.

When he was off the pitch the physios were talking to him as if to say "don't be an idiot, calm down, stay cool" and a few minutes later he tries to smash Enzo. Just no need, childish really.

He probably thought he was being a leader and taking the fight right back to them, since they had been fouling us, but he needs to let the ref do that job and be savvy.

A gentle palm in the face should be OK if not intended. Likewise a ball hitting a hand when the player has no clue. But other recent changes such as a yellow card for pulling a player back are BRILLIANT improvements; it used to be awful when players would get dragged back 30 times per game. Likewise dangerous tackles when both feet are off the floor, flying in studs up, that is not necessary in any circumstance and should be red.
Yep, I also think there should be more yellows for players obstructing quick free kicks or picking the ball up and running away then dropping it etc. I dont mind those minor improvements

Going back to the subject of Romero, I think he got heated up before the game, he wanted to show fellow Argentinians Poch and Enzo that he was the man. Then the Brazilian Thiago Silva body checked him and he went over and kicked out at the closest player and his fuse was lit.
Remember how he used to fight with the Brazilian Richarlison at Everton? I think Brazil is a huge rivalry for him.

When he was off the pitch the physios were talking to him as if to say "don't be an idiot, calm down, stay cool" and a few minutes later he tries to smash Enzo. Just no need, childish really.

He probably thought he was being a leader and taking the fight right back to them, since they had been fouling us, but he needs to let the ref do that job and be savvy.
Well he thought wrong and it shows his emotional immaturity. He should have been displaying patience and calm for the likes of sarr and udogie to emulate.

What I didn’t like was .. wait for it….
Sterling diving
He didn’t get caught by Destiny (if he had he would be nursing a broken leg) but he jumped out of the way and dived
He dived just before the Romero foul for the penalty
He then did it later on a slight touch from Porro
2 of them are yellows for cheating
Not a comment though anywhere

Agreed. Always looking for it.

He let the team down, and I'm sure that will be messaged to him.

I do think people need to understand, it's that "violence" to his game that makes him what he is, it will always be a balance to temper it but when it works, it's what makes him the top level he can be.

I think it probably was a red tbf. I don’t think those ones (the follow through) are always given though, that’s what I’m slightly annoyed about. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a similar “catch the player on the follow through” incident next weekend and no red handed out.

Romero was silly though, no excuses, he lost his head for the first time this season.
When did clearing the ball become a red card? It's ridiculous! When you hit the ball, you swing your leg. It looks nasty in slowmo because when he hits the Chelsea player, it stops the natural swing of the leg and connects with his shin.
Football should be played in skirts and blouses now. Every little touch is a yellow card. The game is long gone. In my time that's not even a free kick, and Oliver thought the same. Only changed his mind because he was told to, and was shown ridiculous slowmo and freeze frame pictures that makes it look 100 times worse than it is.

I do think there is a case for saying that slow motion is not shown to the referees when reviewing on the screen. When slowed down everything looks premeditated and vengeful - his wasn't a great challenge but as soon as I saw it in slow motion it was obvious he was going to walk.

Also, for the love of GHod do what they do in Cricket and Rugby and broadcast the audio to the fans. It would make everything more transparent.

Then put a time limit on it - if they can't determine a change to an on field decision in 90 seconds, then it stays with the onfield decision. That will mean mistakes still happen, but in the meantime players don't have cold muscles and hamstring tears, and fans aren't sat there wondering what the eff is going on.

You know, you often hear from older ex players and fans about how "That was never a foul/yellow/red back in our day" and when you saw old footage of George Best getting hacked to pieces it always felt like the game had moved on for the better. I'm in my 40s now and grew up with 90s and 00s football and I'm starting to feel like those people!.. None of the incidents yesterday would have been a Sending off offence when I played. To get a Red card (outside of violent conduct) you'd need to commit a really cynical tackle from behind or bring down the last man when he was clear through on goal.

Don't get me wrong, According to modern rules we got what we deserved and Romero should've known better etc. but
does anyone else feel as disheartened with the way the game is going nowadays? Red cards seem to be thrown around left, right and centre now for such small things. I can't even remember the last time I saw a red for violent conduct and thought, "wow, that fella is out of order and has to go" ....not by old standards at least.
Not the Romero one to be honest. It's a potential leg breaker and it was deliberate. Udogie's first challenge was also ridiculously reckless. He has two feet off the ground and is completely out of control. Sterling made the most of it given he wasn't touched but it was a shocking way to tackle. I personally think those ones should be reds because they could break someone's leg through sheer recklessness.

Where I do have an issue is the Celtic one last night. The lad hasn't gone in with any force or with his studs really showing. The Atletico player caught the Celtic lad on the follow through. When the ref went to see it, he's shown the still of the contact which I think is wrong because it makes the incident look more dangerous than it was.

I do have an issue with yellows though. Any sort of foul has people shouting for yellows. For me, they are too easy to come by especially when 5 leads to a suspension.

I do think people need to understand, it's that "violence" to his game that makes him what he is, it will always be a balance to temper it but when it works, it's what makes him the top level he can be.

It also shows he will never be consistently top level unless he sorts himself out. He's a tier below pre injury VVD and Saliba who are both ice cool and don't lose the plot in the way Romero did on Sunday. I do think Romero is a very good player but he seems like something of a tool personality wise.

I'm not sure I buy that and if it is the case, he's a liability. His challenge against Milan last year was completely brainless and this one was just as bad if not worse. That's two reckless challenges in massive, massive games that cost us big time.

This is a lad who has won the biggest trophy in the game and didn't carry on like that in the World Cup. He also looked very composed to date this season. He's got to sort it out - we can't afford this sort of flimflam in big games.

I'm not sure I buy that and if it is the case, he's a liability. His challenge against Milan last year was completely brainless and this one was just as bad if not worse. That's two reckless challenges in massive, massive games that cost us big time.

This is a lad who has won the biggest trophy in the game and didn't carry on like that in the World Cup. He also looked very composed to date this season. He's got to sort it out - we can't afford this sort of flimflam in big games.
It also shows he will never be consistently top level unless he sorts himself out. He's a tier below pre injury VVD and Saliba who are both ice cool and don't lose the plot in the way Romero did on Sunday. I do think Romero is a very good player but he seems like something of a tool personality wise.

Different kind of player, Romero imposes himself on a game, he makes attackers think about him (VDV who I think has an extremely high ceiling doesn't).

The team got rattled yesterday for whatever reason, he needed to do/be better but he is that class of defender that the opposition players don't want to play against, and that is an asset.

Messi was probably right , Romero would have been the best defender in the world.................in the 70's !

watched at full speed once, Romero's challenge looks bad but doesn't merit a dismissal for me. Watched 20 times from various angles in slo-mo and it becomes a violent tackle. In "my day" (I'm 45) those were a booking and you breathed a sigh of relief that you had shin pads on if you were on the receiving end of it.

regards his intelligence and control of himself, he's not playing in my day, he's playing now, where scrutiny is from several angles, repeatedly and at a time when VAR is under extreme pressure to justify its existence. With that context to look aggrieved and wave your arms about after the event is just plain stupid. He's paid a shed load of money to be on the pitch and now is going to be sat in the stands for three games. Due to the international break its going to be 6 weeks before he plays again - time enough that he will actually need to get back up to match pace again if he doesn't play much for Argentina while away.

Proper daft.

watched at full speed once, Romero's challenge looks bad but doesn't merit a dismissal for me. Watched 20 times from various angles in slo-mo and it becomes a violent tackle. In "my day" (I'm 45) those were a booking and you breathed a sigh of relief that you had shin pads on if you were on the receiving end of it.

regards his intelligence and control of himself, he's not playing in my day, he's playing now, where scrutiny is from several angles, repeatedly and at a time when VAR is under extreme pressure to justify its existence. With that context to look aggrieved and wave your arms about after the event is just plain stupid. He's paid a shed load of money to be on the pitch and now is going to be sat in the stands for three games. Due to the international break its going to be 6 weeks before he plays again - time enough that he will actually need to get back up to match pace again if he doesn't play much for Argentina while away.

Proper daft.

Something I think that is missing is that this is the third potential red card offence in a short time, two of them by Romero. What is the ref supposed to do, wait until someone is seriously injured and then send someone off?
In isolation that is a red card for me, i could see it not being but for me it is. However in the context of what has happened to our discipline in this game, and Romeros in particular, that is a red card every time.

Proper daft.

Two perspectives for me, and I think it's mix of both

- he's a defender trying to clear a ball in the box, so it's always going to be a swing at it (different than if someone has a swing in the middle of a pitch)
- Romero does make sure others know someone has been in a tackle with him

I do think we have to give him credit this season in, his cards, fouls and even just ground tackles is down from last. doesn't excuse the knowing you will be scrutinised, and to @glasgowspur's point, you just potentially got away with another, so should calm yourself.

But lets be clear, he's not the only player than did something stupid this season, or for us, so the over analysis is probably just that.

Two perspectives for me, and I think it's mix of both

- he's a defender trying to clear a ball in the box, so it's always going to be a swing at it (different than if someone has a swing in the middle of a pitch)
- Romero does make sure others know someone has been in a tackle with him

I do think we have to give him credit this season in, his cards, fouls and even just ground tackles is down from last. doesn't excuse the knowing you will be scrutinised, and to @glasgowspur's point, you just potentially got away with another, so should calm yourself.

But lets be clear, he's not the only player than did something stupid this season, or for us, so the over analysis is probably just that.
Very good post.

I do think he lost his head a bit, that's not good. But it happening this one game this season and him/us getting punished for it isn't the same as him not learning at all.

Still something that needs to be worked on. And something I hope is something for the entire squad to work on collectively. How to notice and deal with a team mate starting to lose their cool, what can be done by that player and others to help them regain their composure. More leadership, helping each other out. And also finding that balance before games start, particularly big games.

Love him but if he shows he isn’t learning and just keeps doing it, what choice do we have other than to cut loose and get someone else in.

There was no violence in the first 10 games of the season. He was calm, played with his head, and was excellent. There's no excuse for the way he ran around making stupid and dangerous tackles against Chelsea. He needs to cut it out and play as he did in those first 10 games. If he can do that then he is a world-class player, if not he could end up being a liability in the really big games.

Love him but if he shows he isn’t learning and just keeps doing it, what choice do we have other than to cut loose and get someone else in.

Issue is getting someone to the level that despite the moans about his discipline (warrented) is a high level.

Plenty of players in successful teams with his nature, it's a trade off, the issue with Spurs is we haven't been to that level in so long that the trade off hasn't been a thing.

It's no secret that I'm a fan because he is a fine player, a few Red cards doesn't change that for me and its trade off I'm willing to take, as I would have with Roy Keane if given the choice.

As Ange says, we dust off and move on and don't make excuses

Back