• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Stellini - Acting Head Coach for a small part of the season

Stellini to take over

It seemed like a strange decision then, and seems like an even stranger one now.

If Conte didn't work out, why would Conte lite without any of the leadership/ charisma work? Look how the players coped with shifting from the system today...

I'd rather have Antonio (fired for being in 4th place) straight shooting and laying in to the players for fudging it up each game for the duration of his contract than the "new" old guy who only does it in half measures

Worst part is that apparently Paratici recommended him. That clown was gonna pick our next manager.

Paratici seemed to look mainly to Italy for players and managers, so doesnt surprise me that he recommended Stellini. Ultimately Levy could have over-ruled. The crazy thing it was so obvious that Stellini wasnt the right direction to go post Conte. We all saw it. Amazing Levy didnt

It seemed like a strange decision then, and seems like an even stranger one now.

If Conte didn't work out, why would Conte lite without any of the leadership/ charisma work? Look how the players coped with shifting from the system today...

I'd rather have Antonio (fired for being in 4th place) straight shooting and laying in to the players for fudging it up each game for the duration of his contract than the "new" old guy who only does it in half measures
I would have let Conte see out the season too, but it can't be easy to find someone to see out a season, and to be fair he'd done okay when Conte was sick, people were even joking about him as our next manager. Anyway, we probably weren't getting 4th place either way, so it's a moot point.

I would have let Conte see out the season too, but it can't be easy to find someone to see out a season, and to be fair he'd done okay when Conte was sick, people were even joking about him as our next manager. Anyway, we probably weren't getting 4th place either way, so it's a moot point.

The problem we have now is getting 5th or 6th. Or the ECL awaits. Or we drop like a stone to 8th or lower.

Conte clearly didn’t want to see out the season. If he had, I’d wager he wouldn’t have insulted the club ALMOST from top to bottom. Fair play to him to not criticize the food, toilets, or the fabric used for the training kit, but the comments about most other aspects of the club were not the words of a man looking to finish the season.

Conte clearly didn’t want to see out the season. If he had, I’d wager he wouldn’t have insulted the club ALMOST from top to bottom. Fair play to him to not criticize the food, toilets, or the fabric used for the training kit, but the comments about most other aspects of the club were not the words of a man looking to finish the season.

That whole Southampton post-match press conference was about ensuring the sack.

Antonio was done with the club. By his own choice. But the Stellini appointment still doesn't make sense.

Antonio was done with the club. By his own choice. But the Stellini appointment still doesn't make sense.

Well there is some slither of sense with keeping some continuity for a small run of games if the head coach was deemed to be the issue rather than his team, but it's probably a waste of time debating it now it's ultimately been proven to have been a failure

That whole Southampton post-match press conference was about ensuring the sack.

There's such an interesting division of thought here.

You may consider that press conference as ensuring the sack (although neither of us truly know the conditions of the contract), but I (acknowleding I'm on the opposite side to you) see it as someone who previously had high standards who found out that those couldn't be met so just told it as it was, and was absolutely at his limit of withholding the flimflam. The player's aren't due verbal protection from the management because they're highly paid.

If we carry on as we are, can we argue Conte was wrong in his assessment? I don't think it would help if we had someone who said the players were brilliant irrespective of what happened on the pitch.

You may consider that press conference as ensuring the sack (although neither of us truly know the conditions of the contract), but I (acknowleding I'm on the opposite side to you) see it as someone who previously had high standards who found out that those couldn't be met so just told it as it was, and was absolutely at his limit of withholding the flimflam. The player's aren't due verbal protection from the management because they're highly paid.

If we carry on as we are, can we argue Conte was wrong in his assessment? I don't think it would help if we had someone who said the players were brilliant irrespective of what happened on the pitch.

I'm also in this camp. I don't think he was trying to get sacked. He was likely already leaving. Think he just couldn't contain it any more.

I remember that interview with Henry where he said he'd rather kill a player who didn't give 100% for the team.

I agree and those martyring Conte will say he was right, of course he was speaking facts but his actions were also wrong IMO

He was manager not a pundit and he was creator of what was on the pitch, not exclusively to blame of course but not blameless.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Conte was 100% right in his assessment but I don’t see how he could’ve remained unless he dropped about 15 players. The same ones he’s been playing seemingly irrespective of form and performance for the past 1.5 years. That’s on him.
What scares me is that I thought that if anyone could change the mindset of our players it would be Conte. There’s something rotten in that dressing room. Or maybe beyond the dressing room.

Conte was 100% right in his assessment but I don’t see how he could’ve remained unless he dropped about 15 players. The same ones he’s been playing seemingly irrespective of form and performance for the past 1.5 years. That’s on him.
What scares me is that I thought that if anyone could change the mindset of our players it would be Conte. There’s something rotten in that dressing room. Or maybe beyond the dressing room.

He wasn't close to right because he never accepted any blame, which is clearly something that the players do as well.

Perisic & Porro are his buys, failure to give time to/develop any of the squad players including a £60M backup striker he insisted on, failure to have any tactical flexibility, these are all core parts of the problems.

Jose and Conte failed, just because they said something that resonates with the state of the club doesn't change that.

Stellini had the balls to go all out attack against Bornemouth. Stellini also had the balls to play the 4-3-3 I think we should be playing, if we were a serious team. That is as far as I will go with the praises because the rest îs awful. Now we know why we don't play 4-3-3, because we lack the players to do so. Defense and midfield were like headless chickens. Truth is, for a 4-3-3 to work, only Romero and one of PEH/Skipp( as DM) should be on the field from those 7 players în defense and midfield. We have Bentancur as the box-to-box and we need the creative midfielder(Modric, Gundogan, Eriksen type of players). Our LBs are LWBs, with very few defensive qualities. So, for the moment we are stuck with the 5-2-3(or 3-4-3 for the optimists). Don't know if we can manouver enough în the summer transfer to actually change the formation, knowing Levy we can't. We don't even have this one locked în yet and it has been 18 months.

Last edited:

I completely agree with you. I argued on here that night that he was actually right to say it (although wrong to not accept any responsibility himself). But it was said with him knowing that it would lead to the sack - and with him wanting that. He was done with us.

He wasn't close to right because he never accepted any blame, which is clearly something that the players do as well.

Perisic & Porro are his buys, failure to give time to/develop any of the squad players including a £60M backup striker he insisted on, failure to have any tactical flexibility, these are all core parts of the problems.

Jose and Conte failed, just because they said something that resonates with the state of the club doesn't change that.

Where did I say Conte didn’t fail?
Just in case you’re in any doubt here it is.
He failed.

Let’s have a recap on some of what he said.

I see players that don't want to help each other and don't put their heart.

The most important thing if you want to become a strong team, if you want to become competitive, if you want to fight to win, is the desire, the fire that you need to have in your eyes , in your heart, and you have to show this in every moment. In every moment.

When you are not a team, anything can happen, in any moment.

To understand that we play for the badge. We have to play to make our fans proud of us, we have to play to show desire.

I want to see the right spirit. Ok. Not only in the training session, on the pitch. Because here you have to make the difference.

Some people think we can fight. Fight for what with his spirit, this attitude, this commitment? What? For seventh, eighth, 10th place? "

All complete nonsense of course as we’ve seen since big bad Antonio left.

Back