• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ben Davies

This time last year Rose was the anti-Christ. I defended him last season along with a few others. I felt Rose had more than the younger Davies. Now Rose is seen as one of the few bright sparks. The point is you have to look beyond individual games. Its never easy for a player who's not in the team regularly to slot in and play as though they're used to being in the side. Davies will never be a world beater going forward. But he does have ability defensively, and can contribute going forward. He lacks Rose's pace.

What a terrible player . Seems like a waste of money, and to think we traded Gylfi AND paid Swansea for his service . I have said it a long time now, he just isn't good enough for Spurs and is miles behind Rose . He is still young so he might improve and prove me wrong (I really hope so) , but I just don't see it . He is clumsy and has the positionoal awarness of a monkey . Worst LB in the PL ???

1 million % the worst left back in the league. Lloris would make a better left back.

I dont think he's a desperately poor player, however what he isnt is a like for like replacement in terms of style for Rose.

Reason why that is important is that under Poch, we dont play with out and out wingers so unless our fullbacks get forward we lack width. You only have to look back at what we have been like when Walker has been out.

Now at RB we do have a like for like replacement for Walker in terms of style given that we have Yedlin. But when Davies comes in for Rose we loose a lot on the left hand side. Personally I would look to get an attacking LB in and sell Davies

I dont think he's a desperately poor player, however what he isnt is a like for like replacement in terms of style for Rose.

Reason why that is important is that under Poch, we dont play with out and out wingers so unless our fullbacks get forward we lack width. You only have to look back at what we have been like when Walker has been out.

Now at RB we do have a like for like replacement for Walker in terms of style given that we have Yedlin. But when Davies comes in for Rose we loose a lot on the left hand side. Personally I would look to get an attacking LB in and sell Davies

I think "desperately poor" is the most accurate description for him. Every time he's on the ball I cack my pants. Extremely shakey and multiple unforced errors. I hated BAE more than any other spurs player to date but Davies is making him look world class. Its one thing to waste a forward pass like BAE consistently did but at least those forward passes don't put us in trouble. Davies just lets the other team in time and time again.

Maybe its just confidence and he'll settle into a good player but at the moment its unforced error after unforced error.

Ideally in the modern game you need fullbacks that can overlap confidently or push forwards and defend well. It is one of the toughest positions on the pitch I think. Davies is too one-dimensional, more suited to a 4-4-2, full backs never go past the halfway line era - although he can get forward, it doesn't seem a natural part of his game.

Yesterday was a good example of modern full back play with Betrand and Clyne doing a reasonable job at both ends of the pitch

Well Dier showed him up yesterday and he is a CB.
And Verts. Although he plays LB occasionally for us and the national team. Verts had more offensive involvements in 15 minutes at LB, than Davies had in 75. Really poor game. That header that lead to the second goal is just beyond belief!!
He had all the time in the world to do just about anything else, but still he heads it into the only fudging place where you should NEVER put it! And then he is 15 meters away from the player that crosses it in. Shocking! And he was like that throughout the match. Friedel would have done a better job at LB! That said, I wouldn't throw him out the door quite yet, but he needs to improve massively, and fast!

This time last year Rose was the anti-Christ. I defended him last season along with a few others. I felt Rose had more than the younger Davies. Now Rose is seen as one of the few bright sparks. The point is you have to look beyond individual games. Its never easy for a player who's not in the team regularly to slot in and play as though they're used to being in the side. Davies will never be a world beater going forward. But he does have ability defensively, and can contribute going forward. He lacks Rose's pace.

Does he? Everytime I've seen him play I've felt his positioning has been poor and he's struggled one on one with anyone who has the slightest bit of pace.

The only positive I've seen of him is a glimering possibility that he can whip a decent ball in from deep. Other than that, I'm struggling, although as some have said, he is still young.

Seems strange that we've signed a player so not suited to Poch's attacking full back style, unless Poch see's something in him that he can improve.

At the beginning of the season Davies was most peoples first choice. Much more solid than the liability of Rose. That was not the case. Rose needed some stability in the side and to get his head down, not be drawn into fouls or rash play. Rose is 25, Davies is what 21 and you're writing him off? Should Rose have been sold last summer?

At the beginning of the season Davies was most peoples first choice. Much more solid than the liability of Rose. That was not the case. Rose needed some stability in the side and to get his head down, not be drawn into fouls or rash play. Rose is 25, Davies is what 21 and you're writing him off? Should Rose have been sold last summer?
I agree, he shouldn't be written off. I give any signings two full seasons before making a proper judgement on his potential.

But going on what we have seen this season, he has been disappointing....

I admit I wanted Rose out of the team last year, he was poor. But I still saw something in him, and I am not that surprised he has played good this year . With Davies I don't see any promising signs . People critiseise his forward play, I am more concerned about his defensive play, he is a terrible defender, and add to that he brings nothing in our attacking play = A poor poor LB .

I don't want to criticise Davies too much as left back is the hardest position to play in our team as you're expected to provide all of our width on the left while also getting just about zero help defensively from Chadli. One of the reasons for me always being a fan of Rose was because I could see how. Well he did despite the handicap of often having two players to worry about. That being said I thought Davies excelled himself on Saturday in terms of having an absolute stinker.

I am really struggling to see why we bought him? Pochettino's game plan seems to be very rigid in having two wide midfielders who cut inside and two pacy, overlapping fullbacks to stretch the opposition, despite this we seem to have bought one of the slowest full backs in the league.

Davies was fine at Swansea because they play with true wingers. I liken it to our team under Redknapp that had Corluka behind Lennon, it worked really well because the two players complimented each other so well, but imagine instead having Corluka behind Lamela and asking Corluka to provide the wing play?... That is effectively what we are asking of Davies.

Another bonkers signing from our club, especially as we let go a player completely suited to Pochettino's system to facilitate the deal.

Like Rose did before him at Sunderland, and Naughton did at Norwich, Davies has showed for Swansea that he's capable of at least being a good PL level full back when in form.

Like Rose did before him at Sunderland, and Naughton did at Norwich, Davies has showed for Swansea that he's capable of at least being a good PL level full back when in form.
Am sure he'd be fine playing behind a true wide player as I think he did at Swansea, but he is clearly unsuited to playing in our system. If Pochettino was behind signing him then we need to be worried and if he was signed without Pochettino wanting him then we should be worried for a different reason.

Go back to March and I was slaughtered for criticizing Davies and saying he looked out of his depth. I was told I had a personal agenda, and my posts were a load of crud.

Wonder if those posters have the same idea now?

Go back to March and I was slaughtered for criticizing Davies and saying he looked out of his depth. I was told I had a personal agenda, and my posts were a load of crud.

Wonder if those posters have the same idea now?
Maybe some people think he's a relatively young player who needs some more experience and has some potential. Look at Danny Rose before this season. We are a club that generally has to buy players who have not reached their peak yet - Bale, Modders, Carrick for example. Some of them improve to be really good, others don't.

Maybe some people think he's a relatively young player who needs some more experience and has some potential. Look at Danny Rose before this season. We are a club that generally has to buy players who have not reached their peak yet - Bale, Modders, Carrick for example. Some of them improve to be really good, others don't.

Indeed, he is just turned 22 but some seem to think he will never get better. :rolleyes:

Am sure he'd be fine playing behind a true wide player as I think he did at Swansea, but he is clearly unsuited to playing in our system. If Pochettino was behind signing him then we need to be worried and if he was signed without Pochettino wanting him then we should be worried for a different reason.

Yeah. As I think we've been over repeatedly by now I disagree with that.

Indeed, he is just turned 22 but some seem to think he will never get better. :rolleyes:

Yeah. He's essentially the same age now as Rose was when he got his loan to Sunderland 3 years ago...

Back