• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Premiership MoneyBall

Grays_1890

Chris Jones
The world has officially started to go nuts, 100m for Pogba, 70m+ for Lukaku etc etc

So I ask the question, where is football going? Is the money in the game good, regardless of football going bust are clubs setting themselves up for a fall regardless?

If Man United get Pogba and can't win the league, can they justify having a £100m in their ranks, then should they win the league can Emirates Marketing Project justify to their fans how their team did not manage to win? Then enter stage door right Mr Conte.......

Is now the biggest case of three do not fit into one, so is the fall out and are the excuses going to get bigger?

I am really starting to get disillusioned by it all really

Nothing has changed really, the numbers are going up because there is more money flowing in, it will normalise itself at some point.

United not winning the league now is no more acceptable than it was for Liverpool in 1988/89.

I don't think it is as normal as people make out. Paying more because its 2016 not 2006 is understandable and I get that but paying double for Lukaku in two years just because there is more money in the game is insane, it actually makes no sense.

I am using Lukaku as an example because its live.

Crazy money 70 mill for a guy who as the first touch of a elephant, the game has gone now and i can not see it returning to normal. If it was not for having Spurs in my heart i would turn my back on it.

Crazy money 70 mill for a guy who as the first touch of a elephant, the game has gone now and i can not see it returning to normal. If it was not for having Spurs in my heart i would turn my back on it.

This is where I am, and people will say its forum ranting, it isn't I am calm as you like.

I am just really upset, sad upset at how the game is going, people will say "its been said for years the games going this way" but this is another level.

Above someone says capital has increased, but it does not mean it has to be spent. I have never felt so sick in my stomach about the game than now.

This is where I am, and people will say its forum ranting, it isn't I am calm as you like.

I am just really upset, sad upset at how the game is going, people will say "its been said for years the games going this way" but this is another level.

Above someone says capital has increased, but it does not mean it has to be spent. I have never felt so sick in my stomach about the game than now.

Pretty much sums it up for me as well, i have been going since the early 60's and have worked and played the game for most of my life. To be honest it stinks now what with all the money, greedy players, bent agents ( out for their own gains), etc.

But as i say i love Spurs and have blue blood in me so it does have a hold on me. I still enjoy the away days with a few mates but i have to admit the crack is what its all about when we do that, going to the Lane does not get the juices flowing like it used to.

I wonder how bigged up the game can get...Super Sunday, Multi Million Man United versus Chelsea, bore draw....thats when its gonna get hard to justify other than to the Saudis

some United plastic on my facebook feed posted an interesting table showing their biggest transfer fees paid and how much of a % of their yearly turnover it equated to - the Pogba deal wasn't even the highest on that list, think it was 3rd (this was going back a few weeks though so i cannot remember the finer details)

so with that in mind - not a lot has changed really - other than there's more money coming in to the game which once it has trickled down raises the value of players/wages etc

Of course the premier league could collapse. We all have our views.

The biggest risk I see to its continued success is a lack of entertainment.

But that is not going to be in the next few years.

Next season could be phenomenal.

Half the division are capable of challenging for the title. And not all the management big beasts can succeed.

Yeah it is all fairly disgusting. Obscene amounts of money, but that's the way it is now and will be forever more unfortunately. Clubs are no longer clubs. They are expensive playthings for the super rich or full on businesses, and business is good. Spurs have been spliced into my DNA and there is nothing I can do to change that now but it is getting harder to get excited about the game. I'll still watch it though .

some United plastic on my facebook feed posted an interesting table showing their biggest transfer fees paid and how much of a % of their yearly turnover it equated to - the Pogba deal wasn't even the highest on that list, think it was 3rd (this was going back a few weeks though so i cannot remember the finer details)

so with that in mind - not a lot has changed really - other than there's more money coming in to the game which once it has trickled down raises the value of players/wages etc
Same old ManU, buying the title...

CnzlNmrW8AAlK2f.jpg

Yeah it is all fairly disgusting. Obscene amounts of money, but that's the way it is now and will be forever more unfortunately. Clubs are no longer clubs. They are expensive playthings for the super rich or full on businesses, and business is good. Spurs have been spliced into my DNA and there is nothing I can do to change that now but it is getting harder to get excited about the game. I'll still watch it though .

I have to say, and this is bias aside, that Spurs are in my blood, the bonus is that I am so so happy they are run as they are, that makes it sweeter.

I have to say for the good of the game, I hope Wenger and Arsenal stick to their ways too..

^^ Man U have had a LOT of good buys in that list. They lost money on Veron and Di Maria but they've had a lot of great servants

I was thinking today, if Pogba came to Prem got 10 goals and 10 assists would that be classed a success?

Then would that make Alli worth 100m or would it make a mockery of how players are valued?

I kind of agree. I'm hoping for a epic financial collapse of the football economy. That would be like pushing a reset button, except we and other clubs that manages the economy in a sensible way, would be in the drivers seat. GHod I wish there was such a reset button.

Sent from outer space

Last edited:
I was thinking today, if Pogba came to Prem got 10 goals and 10 assists would that be classed a success?

Then would that make Alli worth 100m or would it make a mockery of how players are valued?

I think it would be a success.

The value of an asset is that which someone is willing to pay for it, there is a difference between signing a player who's just had a rampant league winning season for Juve in Italy and a kid from the non league. Alli had an exceptional rookie year and we pulled off a great deal to get him at that fee but the two deals exist in the same arena.

I kind of agree. I'm hoping for a epic financial collapse of the football economy. That would be like pushing a reset button, except we and other clubs that manages the economy in a sensible way, would be in the drivers seat. GHod I wish there was such a reset button.

Sent from outer space

if the whole thing burns down it would take is with it, that kind of event would do more damage the further down the pyramid you look

I have to say, and this is bias aside, that Spurs are in my blood, the bonus is that I am so so happy they are run as they are, that makes it sweeter.

I have to say for the good of the game, I hope Wenger and Arsenal stick to their ways too..
Was about to give you a like until I read that last line. The sooner that old rat-face goes the better.

Back