• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

That awkward moment when... You win the World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig_J

Eidur Gudjohnsen
You look at Germany winning the World Cup and no one really seemed to bothered about it. It was as if everyone felt the need to act happy and like they'd done something marvelous but they just wanted to go home and do something that actually engaged them and they drew entertainment from.

It was like watching someone win the Europa League. No one really cares but they have to put on a awkward smile because it's expected when your picking up a trophy. If they'd won the Champions League the Germany side would have been running around like crazy through out the whole thing, right up to collecting the trophy.

Everyone just wants to get this over and done with and get the 'real football' that they are paid even more to do going. Even Messi had a look on his face which suggested he wasn't disappointed to have lost the World Cup but not to have lived up to Maradona's legacy and proved himself to his nation.

Such a charade, from the cheesy music, to the awkward smiles to the corrupt FIFA president handing over the trophy.

Didn't you see the smile on Gotze's face? He was visibly delighted to have scored and to have won the World Cup!

I'm certain that every player was. Remember that these players might be tired out as they've just played 120 minutes of football to win the Competition. I expect that they are both physically and mentally drained, as they have given their all to win the trophy.

Of course Gotze was going to get excited.

mario-gotze-boner.jpg

Think we must have been watching different footage, I saw a mass bundle of German players at the final whistle, group hugs, tears and in terms of the fans, I live in switzerland and the car horns haven't stopped since the final whistle! I couldn't disagree with you more, you may not be bothered by it but the Germans clearly were by the tv footage!

You can try and keep peddling that all day long but the vast majority are not gonna buy it.

If anyone in this day and age really believes that to become the greatest of all time you need to do something at international level then that is pathetic.

If anyone in this day and age really believes that to become the greatest of all time you need to do something at international level then that is pathetic.

What has that got to with prestigious?

Winning the WC is biggest thing you can do as a footballer, even if there's an element of luck in being born in the right country at the right time.

Pathetic, really? I would call it an opinion, maybe it's different to yours but doesn't make it pathetic, does it?

I'll ask you again, as you seemed to ignore it in the other thread, why should messi get a pass that he doesn't have to perform well for another team, in the biggest footballing event there is? He's proved everything for barca, just as maradona did at club level (maradona's club teams were far worse by the way) but Diego did it for a much worse Argie side as well. The legend of maradona is that he done it everywhere, dragging average teams to trophies, messi showed he wasn't capable of that this tournament unfortunately.

No-one wanted him to do it more than me, trust me, but he just didn't and sticking your head in the sand and ignoring that fact won't change anything.

Pathetic, really? I would call it an opinion, maybe it's different to yours but doesn't make it pathetic, does it?

I'll ask you again, as you seemed to ignore it in the other thread, why should messi get a pass that he doesn't have to perform well for another team, in the biggest footballing event there is? He's proved everything for barca, just as maradona did at club level (maradona's club teams were far worse by the way) but Diego did it for a much worse Argie side as well. The legend of maradona is that he done it everywhere, dragging average teams to trophies, messi showed he wasn't capable of that this tournament unfortunately.

No-one wanted him to do it more than me, trust me, but he just didn't and sticking your head in the sand and ignoring that fact won't change anything.

How is he getting a free pass?

I just want someone to give me a reason as to why winning a WC makes you undisputed best in the world? The guy has all the records possible when playing club football mostly in the CL, which is quite easily a comp of much higher quality. Why does a player have to have a great perfrmance at the WC? - sure, its nice if they do i just feel its more important in the CL - a more important trophy in this era of football.

I just believe international football is a poor measuring stick for footballers careers. Club level, youre a top player, youre going to be in a top team going against top teams in a top competition every year. Like i said, having a good international career or having a good WC is nice and can be taken into account , but in this day an age should no way bear a factor in a players legacy.

Sorry but when you're trying to be the greatest and on a par with maradona and pele, you can't have a relative failure on your cv like messi has had in his tournies with Argentina. Not even having to win it ,but just be the outstanding player.

what a **** a bitter thread, The WC is the ultimate competition to win all the footage i saw was of sheer joy excuse them if they where not running around the pitch like heedless chickens for the whole 2 hours waiting for the ceremony but after 120 mins of football and a whole tournament maybe just maybe they where feeling a little jaded in the legs.

Messi great play and a real pity that he just seamed to spend the final in his shell, hopefully next time he might turn up a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back