• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Subbuteo - the memories

StephenH

David Ginola
or should that be mammaries? :D

Subbuteo's first all-female teams left playing behind closed doors
FA and Hasbro criticised for not making set available to buy - with it only being available to winners on social media

3500.jpg

It is the football game beloved of parents steeped in nostalgia about the halcyon days of their youth – but now Subbuteo is making a push to move into the 21st century by launching an all-female set before the Women’s FA Cup final on Saturday.

The Football Association said the new game reflected the growth of the women’s game in the UK, and would help raise the profile of the sport. The limited edition set will feature 22 players and six substitutes in the colours of finalists Arsenal and Chelsea.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-football-womens-fa-cup-final-chelsea-arsenal

it made me chuckle!
Had some great fun with Subbuteo back in the day! Is it still for sale?
Was alway best to pin it to a board man! You know nuffin!

Did anyone actually play it? I had a set as a kid and liked buying new pieces and setting it all up but as a game it never really worked did it?

yeah, I played regularly with my Dad, great fun

not sure if we were playing by the rules but we'd have three flicks a turn (controlling your keeper only on all opponent flicks)

OK full disclosure. My first Subbuteo set was a 1950's set that had been my uncles, my Nan handed it to me when I was 9. But then by some miracle( my family had very little money) I acquired the 1974 World cup edition, which I played incessantly until my mid teens, I had a handful of teams and played mates, cousins etc.We even had a league at one point.
Any excuse for a game,I loved Subbuteo. One of my big things was to lay on my bed age 10 perusing the 1974 team catalog, there were 165 teams featured and my dream was to one day own every one. Anyhow by the time I was 18 Lambretta Scooters, soul music and girls took up most of my time and Subbuteo became a distant memory until.. around the year 1999 I chanced upon a set at a car boot sale. Memories came flooding back , I bought it with the idea that if I ever had a son he might like to play .

Long story short, I became an obsessive collector, historian and even started writing a book about the company and its history, there was and still probably is quite a small but obsessive collecting scene in the UK and worldwide. My vast and quite valuable collection was sold in 2003 when we emigrated to the US. Its interesting that, whilst I achieved my initial ambition of having the 165 different teams in the 1974 catalog, and so much more besides, I never played a game once whilst I was collecting.

For a couple of years it was an absolute obsession. I remember driving from London to Leeds to collect a particularly rare game ( the baseball version). I hope nobody minds me reminiscing, but it struck a cord when I saw this thread

^ NERD! ;)

Just kidding (sorta), did you not finish the book?

I didn't finish the book, I had even gone to the lengths of tracking down and interviewing descendants of Peter Adolph the creator and founder of the game, people who used to work at the original factory , all sorts of stuff. I still have all the interviews on tape some where. Ironically I have never collected anything before or since. I do definitely get obsessed with things once I get really interested in them though. Just look at my present infatuation with Custard!

OK full disclosure. My first Subbuteo set was a 1950's set that had been my uncles, my Nan handed it to me when I was 9. But then by some miracle( my family had very little money) I acquired the 1974 World cup edition, which I played incessantly until my mid teens, I had a handful of teams and played mates, cousins etc.We even had a league at one point.
Any excuse for a game,I loved Subbuteo. One of my big things was to lay on my bed age 10 perusing the 1974 team catalog, there were 165 teams featured and my dream was to one day own every one. Anyhow by the time I was 18 Lambretta Scooters, soul music and girls took up most of my time and Subbuteo became a distant memory until.. around the year 1999 I chanced upon a set at a car boot sale. Memories came flooding back , I bought it with the idea that if I ever had a son he might like to play .

Long story short, I became an obsessive collector, historian and even started writing a book about the company and its history, there was and still probably is quite a small but obsessive collecting scene in the UK and worldwide. My vast and quite valuable collection was sold in 2003 when we emigrated to the US. Its interesting that, whilst I achieved my initial ambition of having the 165 different teams in the 1974 catalog, and so much more besides, I never played a game once whilst I was collecting.

For a couple of years it was an absolute obsession. I remember driving from London to Leeds to collect a particularly rare game ( the baseball version). I hope nobody minds me reminiscing, but it struck a cord when I saw this thread

Brilliant, love stories like that.

I loved Subbuteo as a kid. Played it on my own for hours in my bedroom as a kid. Monday night football, f#ck Sky I invented it (right after homework), bedroom light off, Subbuteo floodlights on.
Forgot how many got crushed under my knees. Had to stick them back on with train set glue, but they would always end up leaning forwards or backwards.

Had about 30/35 different teams. My favourite one was a Motherwell kit that was yellow with a maroon diagonal sash

Used to design my own stadiums too, built with Lego, to put next to the crappy green one you could buy. No wonder I ended up in the Building Trade.

I loved Subbuteo as a kid. Played it on my own for hours in my bedroom as a kid. Monday night football, f#ck Sky I invented it (right after homework), bedroom light off, Subbuteo floodlights on.
Forgot how many got crushed under my knees. Had to stick them back on with train set glue, but they would always end up leaning forwards or backwards.

Had about 30/35 different teams. My favourite one was a Motherwell kit that was yellow with a maroon diagonal sash

Used to design my own stadiums too, built with Lego, to put next to the crappy green one you could buy. No wonder I ended up in the Building Trade.

Did you paint Willie Pettigrew moustache on one of the motherwell players?

I didn't finish the book, I had even gone to the lengths of tracking down and interviewing descendants of Peter Adolph the creator and founder of the game, people who used to work at the original factory , all sorts of stuff. I still have all the interviews on tape some where. Ironically I have never collected anything before or since. I do definitely get obsessed with things once I get really interested in them though. Just look at my present infatuation with Custard!

I'm assuming the title was going to be "Teenage Flicks"

Back