• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Neil Ashton - Football Journalist

glorygloryeze

Ian Walker
Neil Ashton, Football journalist at the Daily Mail.

Speaking here on 5 Live on Tuesday (http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/5lfd/5lfd_20140902-2109a.mp3 Note, only available until about 6.55pm next Tuesday 9th September 2014) when they were reflecting on the transfer windown and looking ahead to England's games in the next week.

I was taken aback by home anti-Roy Hodgson ("the current Regime", as he referred to the set-up) he was and totally neglecting the lack of quality in certain key positions that the England team are having to grapple with.
It's almost as if he thinks that it's ALL Roy's fault!
Even the fellow pundits seemed to be taken aback.

Then I remembered that he is the one that was called out by AVB and that classic press conference after the Manure draw after he twisted AVB's "we"/"they" words.
And most likely a 'Arry chum.

Aaahhhhhhhh...

So I thought i'd start a thread to ask what others now about this 'journalist' (who I have to admit sounded like pure scum!).

So does anyone have any info, public and otherwise?

Is he a Spammer, like Martin Samuel?
How far do him and 'Arry/Jamie go back?

Is it fair to assume he is close to the Lampards?

Has anybody met him socially? Or worked with him?!!:eek:

Enlighten me/us;
Oh, and Defend him (if you can..)

Speaking here on 5 Live on Tuesday (http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/5lfd/5lfd_20140902-2109a.mp3 Note, only available until about 6.55pm next Tuesday 9th September 2014) when they were reflecting on the transfer windown and looking ahead to England's games in the next week.

I was taken aback by home anti-Roy Hodgson ("the current Regime", as he referred to the set-up) he was and totally neglecting the lack of quality in certain key positions that the England team are having to grapple with.

Then I remembered that he is the one that was called out by AVB and that classic press conference after the Manure draw after he twisted AVB's "we"/"they" words.

Aaahhhhhhhh...

So I thought i'd start a thread to ask what others now about this 'journalist' (who I have to admit sounded like pure scum!).

Enlighten me/us;

You really don't like Arry do you? :lol:

He presents the Sky sports papers show in the morning on Sunday, took over from the now departed Brian Woolnough.. Believe Ashton is also the top sports journalist in the sense he is like the Union Rep of them all.... football writers association or something.

Palace fan I believe.. sure I read that somewhere

Was the qunt that broke the story about Modric in a boat.

Last edited:
You really don't like Arry do you? :lol:

My point is not such much to do with 'Arry but more the jerks who lick his rimpiece whilst giving most England managers hell.

It's scum journos like Ashton imo that add to the general apathy around England; look at how they're trying to hound Hodgson out of the job because their mate 'Arry didn't get it. The way they cover England, building them up like they're world-beaters before knocking them down again. Even after saying a friendly is a chance to blood younger/les-experienced players. Hodgson des that and still they hound him. I can totally understand that some of those players can't be bothered taking the hassle tbh. And the average footy fan falls for it as well (the hyperbole and eventual over-disappointment).

It'll be people like Ashton hat will hound every Surs manager when they can for the same reason (i.e. they're mate 'Arry hasn't got the job anymore).

I don't believe that journalists are trying to hound out Hodgson because Harry didn't get it. I think that they are doing it because it is an easy story and sells papers.

Someone at the FA must have upset the boys from the Mail as were anti Hodgson even during the world cup.

My point is not such much to do with 'Arry but more the jerks who lick his rimpiece whilst giving most England managers hell.

It's scum journos like Ashton imo that add to the general apathy around England; look at how they're trying to hound Hodgson out of the job because their mate 'Arry didn't get it. The way they cover England, building them up like they're world-beaters before knocking them down again. Even after saying a friendly is a chance to blood younger/les-experienced players. Hodgson des that and still they hound him. I can totally understand that some of those players can't be bothered taking the hassle tbh. And the average footy fan falls for it as well (the hyperbole and eventual over-disappointment).

It'll be people like Ashton hat will hound every Surs manager when they can for the same reason (i.e. they're mate 'Arry hasn't got the job anymore).

I don't think this is the case anymore. I believe there has been a sea change since 2010 when we were embarrassed by Germany. People (journalists included) are far more realistic about our chances, you get the odd mug like Tony Gale who still think we are world beaters but that's par for the course.

The scrutiny has only really come about since this summer's World Cup which I think is unfair considering we had at least two superior nations in our groupd. People should not have expected us to qualify. We didn't play brilliantly but we could have easily got a draw in the first two games. People who actually watch football besides the PL will realise that we are not all that and the Premier League is a bit overhyped to tell the truth, I believe La Liga is the best league.

Oh, and Milo is correct IMO, it's an easy story/headline to have a dig at the England manager. It's always their fault regardless of the quality of the players he can pick, don't know why we obsess so much about it. I remember Klinsmann saying just as much how it's one of the only countries where so much emphasis is placed on the manager rather than the players. We also care too much about who the captain is but that's another story.

Aaahhhhhhhh...

Enlighten me/us;

You can't really blame them for having a pop at AVB, we did play rubbish football and eventually get even worse results.

You can't really blame them for having a pop at AVB, we did play rubbish football and eventually get even worse results.

I don't want to turn this into an AVB thread, but you seem to not get my point.

It's not that Ashton criticised AVB and the football that we were playing, it's that he twisted his words after the 6-0 defeat and claimed AVB said that "THEY" the players and everyone else should be ashamed of the results.
What AVB ACTUALLY said is that "WE" (i.e. the players, the club, INCLUDING him) should be ashamed of the result.

Either Ashton is plain dumb and doesn't know the nuanced different in saying "We" compared to saying "They" or he does indeed know and was trying to diliberately twist AVB's words and put even more pressure on him plus drive an (extra) wedge between him and the players and fans (and no i'm not saying everything was hunky-dory before this point before you come back at me and bring up AVB's comments plus other behind-the-secenes issues at the time).

Basically Ashton is either a thick cant or a smart and sneaky cant.

I bet no-one will find an article where he is similarly brutal to Harry, especially during our two end-of-season slumps during 2010/11 and 2011/12.

My advice is to not waste time getting annoyed at awful news outlets like the Daily Mail or any of it's employees, it's a waste of time. Just pretend it doesn't exist until you encounter someone who likes it, and then belittle them. Even that's a waste of time as most likely they won't understand you.

Seriously, much more importantly than football there's a load of **** in the reporting of the real life stuff at the front of the newspaper, but it doesn't make any difference pointing it out as the next day there's a new version with new ****e and what was said before doesn't matter. Although maybe it's changed in to a fine, well balanced and thought out source of information/opinion since I left the UK....:-k

I don't want to turn this into an AVB thread, but you seem to not get my point.

It's not that Ashton criticised AVB and the football that we were playing, it's that he twisted his words after the 6-0 defeat and claimed AVB said that "THEY" the players and everyone else should be ashamed of the results.
What AVB ACTUALLY said is that "WE" (i.e. the players, the club, INCLUDING him) should be ashamed of the result.

Either Ashton is plain dumb and doesn't know the nuanced different in saying "We" compared to saying "They" or he does indeed know and was trying to diliberately twist AVB's words and put even more pressure on him plus drive an (extra) wedge between him and the players and fans (and no i'm not saying everything was hunky-dory before this point before you come back at me and bring up AVB's comments plus other behind-the-secenes issues at the time).

Basically Ashton is either a thick cant or a smart and sneaky cant.

I bet no-one will find an article where he is similarly brutal to Harry, especially during our two end-of-season slumps during 2010/11 and 2011/12.
I think that Ashton exaggerated and embellished something AVB said to get a story and sell papers. Journalists do it every day.

I think that Ashton exaggerated and embellished something AVB said to get a story and sell papers. Journalists do it every day.
I think it's probably fair to say that he wouldn't do the same to a manager that takes him out for really expensive dinners/strip clubs/etc.

Obviously I'm not suggesting any manager in particular.

I think it's probably fair to say that he wouldn't do the same to a manager that takes him out for really expensive dinners/strip clubs/etc.

Obviously I'm not suggesting any manager in particular.
Media management is important in any high profile business. I think that feeding stories to friendly journos is the most common approach but schmoozing obviously goes on too.

I don't think that he would have done it to Ferguson or Mourinho either because the press are intimidated by them.

We've covered this a billion times before but one of AVB's biggest failings is his inability to build relationships or play the game.

Media management is important in any high profile business. I think that feeding stories to friendly journos is the most common approach but schmoozing obviously goes on too.

I don't think that he would have done it to Ferguson or Mourinho either because the press are intimidated by them.

We've covered this a billion times before but one of AVB's biggest failings is his inability to build relationships or play the game.
I'd say it's a weakness but not a failing.

I have nothing but admiration for someone who refuses to play such a bent game - even at the cost of their job.

Back