• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Let's settle this once and for all

How should it be pronounced?

• Scone

• Scone

Results are only viewable after voting.
However you bloody well like and dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

Same as those weirdos who tell you whether you should put jam or cream on first. It makes no difference and if you are worried by things like that when the are bigger things going on in the world then shame on you. The are people living in mud huts eating their own poo in Africa just to survive, the are people killing themselves all over the middle east because a make believe person told them to. The are spurs fans still fuming over yet another semi final loss and yet the are people out there wondering how words are pronounced.

The is no way to correctly say anything the is no right or wrong to anything, the is just people going around making noises, nothing actually means anything anymore how can it when people are dying all over the world when the is so much pain and suffering.

I dont even understand how people just 50 miles south of me speak a completely different language. I mean think about it why are people in France speaking this strange thing? they open their mouth to ask for some bread in the supermarket but the sound they make is completely different to the sound I make. Then someone 100 miles to the east of them in Germany make a different sound again, this makes no sense when you think about it really.

The is no right way to say anything, honestly you should just go around making random sounds and pointing it would make just as much sense to me.

Same as those weirdos who tell you whether you should put jam or cream on first. It makes no difference and if you are worried by things like that when the are bigger things going on in the world then shame on you. The are people living in mud huts eating their own poo in Africa just to survive
How do you spread jam on cream, makes no sense. Whichever one of Devon and Cornwall go jam first is clearly correct.

I bet in Africa they often sigh as they're just about to tuck in* and say "I wish we had a few scones for a change...", only for someone else to call them out for not pronouncing it as scone. It's a global debate.

* - for avoidance of doubt I don't think people in Africa eat their own brick.

There was an academic study on this last year. I think it's findings were that its scone (rhymes with gone) in southern england, northern england and scotland, but scone (rhymes with cone) in the midlands.

scone_rhyme_with_gone.png

Oh, and according to those who live in Bath, the way one pronounces the name of the city is the simplest way of knowing whether one plays Rugby or that thing they call Rugby League.

Last edited:
There was an academic study on this last year. I think it's findings were that its scone (rhymes with gone) in southern england, northern england and scotland, but scone (rhymes with cone) in the midlands.
The same way as one would pronounce "stone" you fudging peasants.
Scara finally out of the closet and admitting he's from Stoke.

Back