• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gary Monk on Cheating...

markysimmo

Johnny nice-tits
Briilliant good on him, about time others said the same too and as for Hughes, what a ****

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29682896

Swansea boss Garry Monk said Stoke winger Victor Moses should be "ashamed of himself" and punished for his role in helping Stoke win a penalty.

Monk's team lost 2-1 at the Britannia Stadium with his defender Angel Rangel penalised for a foul on Moses.

And the Swans boss, whose team are without a win in five league games, said: "Moses should be done for diving, for cheating."

Stoke boss Mark Hughes described Monk's comments as "unacceptable"

Hughes said: "I actually heard him say that my player was a cheat which is unacceptable in my view.

"He's (Monk) obviously upset. We have to come in here 20 minutes after the game to speak about what's gone on and sometimes you just have to bite your tongue and maybe that will come from experience."

Swansea led through a Wilfried Bony penalty but Stoke levelled through Charlie Adam's spot kick and substitute Jonathan Walters headed home the winner after the break.

In a highly-charged and honest press conference after the match, Monk said:

Stoke's penalty was "absolutely disgusting"
Only Michael Oliver thought it was a spot kick
Referees' chief Mike Riley had not replied to his concerns
He would not be able to go home if he were Moses

Monk criticised Michael Oliver for awarding Stoke the spot kick for "barely minimal contact" which allowed the hosts level at 1-1 before the break.

"It was an absolute disgusting decision from the referee in terms of the penalty against us," said the 35-year-old Monk of Oliver's decision to penalise Rangel after Moses tumbled inside the box.

"He is supposed to be a professional referee at the highest level. He's the only guy who thought it was a penalty. Everyone in the stadium was amazed.

"How he (Oliver) can't see it is a blatant dive is beyond me."

The Swansea manager said he had previously raised his concerns with Riley, but had not heard from the referees' chief.

"It's happening week after week and it's always against us," added Monk.

"I've sent a DVD off, with a letter, but I've had no contact from Mike Riley. I think that's very poor leadership from him. He is clearly not listening and I have to go above him, and hopefully we will get the answers.

"We just want to know why there is no consistency in the big decisions that have changed games for us."

However, the Board of Professional Game Match Officials (PGMO) - the Premier League referees' body - has disputed Monk's claims that he has tried to contact Riley.

"Garry has made a direct assertion that a letter or DVD has been sent to Mike, but he has not received either," said a PGMO spokesman.

"We are unaware of any letter or DVD. The PGMO has an open door policy if any manager or club wants to contact us about an issue."

Monk said Moses' fall inside the box was a "blatant dive" and called on the Nigeria winger to be punished.

"He should be ashamed of himself for diving like that," said the Englishman.

"I would not be able to go home to my family and show my face, for me it is a disgrace. He should be punished heavily for that. If my player had done that he would not play in the next game."

When asked if he feared his comments may land him in trouble, Monk added: "What have I said wrong? I haven't said anything wrong, I haven't called anyone names, it's not slanderous."

Stoke boss Hughes disputed that Shawcross should have been penalised for grappling with Bony inside the box.

"I went to meetings with managers at the beginning of the year and the referees were talking about it and - for whatever reason - Ryan Shawcross has been highlighted in the media," said the Welshman.

"Apparently he does holding in the box more than anyone else which is complete nonsense to be perfectly honest with you.

"I see everybody in the Premier League holding people at corners, but the fact that it's been highlighted was maybe in the back of the referee's mind and I think he's just seen the lad go down quite easily."

Agree with pretty much everything Monks said.

Hughes is becoming the Fergie & Wenger rolled into one. A sort of "I didn't see it but my bloke did nothing wrong and no-one else is entitled to an opinion"

I put this in another thread but it's probably more relevant here:

I wish Poch would have come out fighting like Monk has today. We constantly get **** on by refs against the champions league teams, it's long been time for us to highlight this, but the club yet again says nothing, it's like we expect to lose so just don't even bother with it! Gets on my tits.

I actually think Lumpard's dive was worse, he plays for Emirates Marketing Project though so nothing will be said about it

monks comments on the ref's performance might be justifiable. but his comments on moses are hypocritical. not only has monk cheated in every game he has played, but so do his own players.

Mark Hughes said:
At the angle I’ve seen, there’s a definite movement from Rangel to put his arm across Victor and knock him off his stride. In my view that’s trying to impede him and if you do that inside the box when someone’s running at pace you’re in danger of conceding penalties and that’s what happened. It’s a soft one and you can argue about it as much as you like. He gave it and that’s the end of it.

A quick google search for 'Mark Hughes fumes' later:

Mark Hughes said:
It went wrong when the referee got involved. I thought the initial sending off was very, very harsh. The second you would argue is a correct decision - denying a goal scoring opportunity - we would argue against that.

There were a lot of decisions that left a lot to be desired to be honest. We totally controlled the game up to the first sending off in my view. Unfortunately referees can make decisions that can change the course of a game.

That was after Stoke lost 1-5 to Saudi Sportswashing Machine and had two players sent off.

monks comments on the ref's performance might be justifiable. but his comments on moses are hypocritical. not only has monk cheated in every game he has played, but so do his own players.

Maybe so but that doesn't mean he isn't right. I'm tired of seeing penalties and fouls given where there is the most minimal contact you can imagine. It's a contact sport FFS! There is nothing in the rules that says all contact equals a foul.

Good on Monk for saying it, as Gazza says, I only wish people from our club would do the same.

Maybe so but that doesn't mean he isn't right. I'm tired of seeing penalties and fouls given where there is the most minimal contact you can imagine. It's a contact sport FFS! There is nothing in the rules that says all contact equals a foul.

Good on Monk for saying it, as Gazza says, I only wish people from our club would do the same.

diving is only one form of cheating. players are cheating all the time in various ways. ie. shawcross pulling attackers.

and is football really a contact sport? i've said this before, and ill say it again. its as much a contact sport as basketball is (if we were to follow to rules that is).

the fact is, attackers cheat by diving, defenders cheat by creating various levels of contact with the attacker to put them off. and as sherwood would say, "midfielders do a bit of both". to signle out attackers (moses, ash young etc) as "cheats" is so hypocritical, its unbelievable.

diving is only one form of cheating. players are cheating all the time in various ways. ie. shawcross pulling attackers.

and is football really a contact sport? i've said this before, and ill say it again. its as much a contact sport as basketball is (if we were to follow to rules that is).

the fact is, attackers cheat by diving, defenders cheat by creating various levels of contact with the attacker to put them off. and as sherwood would say, "midfielders do a bit of both". to signle out attackers (moses, ash young etc) as "cheats" is so hypocritical, its unbelievable.

Of course there are many forms of cheating, it's too broad of a debate to tackle in one thread. But diving to me is the worst form of cheating as it involves actively trying to con the officials into giving you a decision whilst trying to get your opponent booked or worse, sent off in the process. Kicking someone techinically is cheating too, but more dirty and cynical as opposed to diving which is more snide and dishonest behaviour.

As to your question of is football really a contact sport? Yes it is, more so than Basketball is. Just how exactly are you meant to tackle someone or win the ball without making some contact? You cannot always win the ball without touching the opponent, not everyone is as blessed as Ledley King. Would you consider a shoulder barge to be a foul? Football really has been nancified to such extremes in the last 10 years. I get it in some way, they don't Ronaldo or Messi to get their legs broken a CL final for example, but it's almost to the point where you can't even tackle someone these days without getting booked. Or touch someone someone in the penalty box without them falling to the floor like a sack of **** and giving a penalty away.

Last edited:
I'm with neymar, diving isn't any worse than other infractions imo

That doesn't mean it shouldn't be highlighted and attempted to be removed from the game. There are panels that have been set up to rectify foul play the officials missed, why shouldn't the same thing be done for diving. I'm not comfortable with this blase attitude to diving of oh well, everyone does it, it's no worse than handballing it. Some forms of cheating are worse than others in my view.

it should, but it should be for everything, they should go through each game and hand out retrospective cards for each and every infraction, you pulled a shirt during a corner 2 mins in, ref missed it, that a yellow, and again 20 mins later, and just before half time, and 6 times in the second, you might as well have a holiday mate as that tots up to a 12 match ban

it's the insistence that diving is somehow worse that gets me, cheating is cheating

it should, but it should be for everything, they should go through each game and hand out retrospective cards for each and every infraction, you pulled a shirt during a corner 2 mins in, ref missed it, that a yellow, and again 20 mins later, and just before half time, and 6 times in the second, you might as well have a holiday mate as that tots up to a 12 match ban

it's the insistence that diving is somehow worse that gets me, cheating is cheating

Because you are trying to get your opponent booked or worse, sent off, that's why it's worse.

but when you pull a shirt your trying to stop an opposition player making a play, be it offensively or defensively, I really don't see a distinction

the only cheating I consider worse than these standard infractions would be a case of intentional physical harm

but when you pull a shirt your trying to stop an opposition player making a play, be it offensively or defensively, I really don't see a distinction

the only cheating I consider worse than these standard infractions would be a case of intentional physical harm

But you're not trying to get them booked which could lead to them potentially getting suspended, that is not right. Why should a player miss games because x player dived and got him booked? I guess it's the dishonesty that annoys me. When someone kicks a player, everyone can see, it's the sneakiness about diving that grates on me.

you're cheating them out of something either way, why shouldn't the player make a big clearance, or get on the end of a drilled cross across the 6 yard box (maybe through Kaboul's legs) to bag a goal?

you're cheating them out of something either way, why shouldn't the player make a big clearance, or get on the end of a drilled cross across the 6 yard box (maybe through Kaboul's legs) to bag a goal?

I don't understand. From the looks of it, nothing you describe constitutes cheating or breaking the rules.

... but anything you like, a little shove to knock a player of balance before shooting, a sneaky handball to divert a through ball, every thing you can give a fk away for on a football pitch is trying to cheat something from the opposition

Back