• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ron Henry

milo

Jack L. Jones
[TWEET]548937424832049152[/TWEET]

The Club was saddened to hear of the passing of Double winning left-back and former coach Ron Henry this afternoon at the age of 80.

Real gent and a great servant to the club. I remember seeing him score his only goal for the club in out 1-0 win over Man Utd at WHL, be a suitable tribute to win tomorrow.

Thank you for your contribution to our most successful period in the history of our great club.

Always watched in awe of this player. For me he was quite simply our best LB ever, even ahead of the great Cyril Knowles, absolutely no question about that. Never spectacular, just exceptionally good at doing his job. He seemed to win EVERY tackle, and always put in a 100% shift. On top of that he was the perfect gentleman. For those of you who believe it's okay to do a bit of cheating on the sly a-la Vertonghen, I give you Ron. Consistently brilliant in the tackle but like Gary Mabbutt, always scrupulously fair. He didn't need to cheat he was that good. A massive reason why we won the Double and several other trophies in the early sixties. Home-produced as well.

RIP to one of my all-time favourite Tottenham players.

Ron Henry: Former Tottenham and England defender dies, aged 80

Former Tottenham and England defender Ron Henry has died at the age of 80.

Left-back Henry played in the Spurs side that won the league and FA Cup Double in 1961, the FA Cup in 1962 and the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1963.

Henry, whose grandson Ronnie plays for League Two side Stevenage, made one appearance for England - in a 5-2 defeat by France in February 1963.

He made 247 league appearances for Tottenham, scoring one goal, after signing as a professional in 1955.

Spurs said on their website: "We extend our condolences to his family at this sad time."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30613982

Tottenham's double-winning left-back Ron Henry dies aged 80

Ron Henry, part of Tottenham's double-winning side of the 1960s, has died at the age of 80.

Henry was the left-back in Bill Nicholson's 1960/1 side which became the first post-war to win the Football League and FA Cup in the same season.

Spurs went on to retain the FA Cup the following year and lift the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1963, both victories achieved with Henry as a first-choice starter.

Capped once by England, he went on to make 287 appearances for the club in a first-team career spanning 11 years.

Henry died on Saturday in a hospice, according to a short Spurs statement that said: "We extend our condolences to his family at this sad time."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...uble-winning-left-back-ron-henry-dies-aged-80

Suitably moving tribute, just wish they could have given a bit more recognition about his style of play.

I remember it was a shock when Mel Hopkins got injured because I had grave doubt that we could adequately replace him. So when Ron took over he came under great scrutiny, but from day one his brilliantly-timed tackling, tidy distribution and positional nous opened our eyes. He just never seemed to put a foot wrong. He had the great Dave Mackay in front of him of course so between them they pretty-much totally locked-out that side of the pitch.

Ron seldom made great forays down the flank - in those days full-backs were never expected to, and besides, he had the terrier-like Terry Dyson to feed the ball to (a nippy little player not unlike Aaron Lennon except he was also a brilliant crosser of the ball) but that meant he was always there to act as a bulwark in front of Bill Brown. It was truly astonishing the number of times he won his tackles.

As mentioned in that tribute he played impeccably fairly, a true gentleman, but a stalwart who never quite got the credit he deserved in my book simply because like others in that side he was never flash and was playing alongside some of our all-time greats - Danny Blanchflower, Dave Mackay, John White, Cliff Jones and, later, Jimmy Greaves.

A true Spurs legend.

Back