• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Local Support in Tottenham

Craig_J

Eidur Gudjohnsen
Sorry mods if this thread is in the wrong place.

Was just wondering what the local support in Tottenham is now days. My aunt was the last of a long line of relatives from Tottenham to move away five years ago and make my bloodline extinct in the Tottenham area. I have only been to one game in the last two seasons but when I was going quite regularly part of being at a match day involved walking past some run down council houses greeted with the smell of p***, takeaways and marijuana. You'd walk past Bruce Castle and on the fields there would be young kids playing football. Almost all of them would be wearing Arsenal shirts. That for me is how I knew I'd arrived in Tottenham.

If anyone lives local is this still the case? Are Scum fans infesting our Mecca? Our Jerusalem? Or are Spurs taking the place back?

PS I once recall lining up to enter the concourse of the Park Lane. Some gobby cow was shouting out of her bedroom window "Arseeeeenal arseeeeenal. **** off Tottenham you're ****". She wasn't anywhere near good looking either. Typical Gooner girl.

I think the majority of those who resided in the area in the 70s, 80s and at a push 90s dispersed into other areas like Enfield, Herts.

This includes diaspora from nations that emigrated into the area in the 70's (whose next generations moved out of the area and moved their families out too). That's why I feel more in Tottenham territory when I go to Enfield Town (it does **** me off when I see Goon shirts in the area) it's also why I would have preferred Enfield Lock if we were to move out of WHL.

I walk through Bruce Castle park on my way to the stadium. Always a fair few jumpers-for-goalposts games going on. 5-10 years ago, I'd see far more Arsenal than Spurs shirts in these games. But over the past five years, I've noticed that changing. I more usually see slightly more Spurs than Arsenal shirts now. I think local people just needed a team that they could be at least somewhat proud of. And although the last couple of years haven't been great, we've still been a top 5/6 club and Arsenal have only been marginally ahead of us. Makes a big change from when we were mid to lower table and they were routinely winning the top trophies.

You also have to take into account that, as a general rule, only kids wear football shirts on a routine basis. And Arsenal have clearly attracted many more young fans all over London over the past 20 years or so. So the Arsenal fans in the area tend to be readily identifiable. Unlike the Spurs fans. However, I suspect that if you did a poll of locals over the age of 30, you'd find the balance shifting towards Spurs.

I think the majority of those who resided in the area in the 70s, 80s and at a push 90s dispersed into other areas like Enfield, Herts.

This includes diaspora from nations that emigrated into the area in the 70's (whose next generations moved out of the area and moved their families out too). That's why I feel more in Tottenham territory when I go to Enfield Town (it does **** me off when I see Goon shirts in the area) it's also why I would have preferred Enfield Lock if we were to move out of WHL.

I was living in Walthamstow until 5 months ago and you never saw a Spurs Shirt. I know its not a traditional spurs area but its very close to the ground. Unfortunately all the kids seemed to have Goon Shirts. But i moved to Hertford and its like living in Spurs Town. I see spurs shirts all over the place, on grown ups and kids. It makes such a change. I can pop to Harlow and see the Spurs shop or to Enfield. It feels like the more inner city areas close to Tottenham are mostly gooners now. Not sure about Tottenham itself. I tend not to linger in the area as its not very welcoming when it gets dark.

I think Sandman is right.

I lived in Lewisham for the first 21 years of my life and hardly ever saw a yid even when roaming around Tottenham/North LDN and when you did they would always be 25 or older. Five years ago I moved to Brighton before coming here (Chichester) and EVERYWHERE you go there's Yids of all ages, infact I'd go as far as saying that we're possibly the most supported team after the local/ish teams (Brighton and Portsmoth) in the whole of Sussex. Heard it's the same in most home counties and South East England as a whole.

Tottenham is like most other inner London areas where the population has changed over the last 60 years, recent residents probably have no link to the area and will probably be interested in successful teams. I lived in Camden till I was 28 and now 40 years on nobody I went to school with or lived in my street are there now.

It's funny because outside of London, just slightly North, there's a load of Yid towns. I guess there's a few filth places tto, like Borehamwood, Burnt Oak etc, but imo, places like Luton, Bedford, MK, Stevenage, Harlow have more Yids, or at least more visible Yids. Difficult to tell when Woolwich disguise themselves in White tops :ross:

I live in N17. I do see quite a few red shirts about yes certainly more than I did a decade or so ago.

Is borehamwood a goon town? I'm there every year at the end of October, just a couple if weeks away, might need to have a stroll through the town with my spurs top on[emoji2]

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

The population of Tottenham has changed massively in the last 20 years. Many long term residents are Spurs fans but can't afford to go to games hence there is very low number of season ticket holders from N17 or surround post codes which is sad.
Many foreign immigrants into eh area have no connection to spurs for many reasons. Firstly they can't access tickets due to availability and prices. Secondly spurs have always been a very conservative brand and I think arsenal resonates better for many; the Nike association has attracted a huge urban following as have black icons like Ian Wright and Henry who arsenal have, cleverly, built their brands around. Our brand icons have been Teddy, Keane, Bale. Defoe to a lesser extent and Ledley for all his qualities is a) a defender and b) lacking natural charisma in the way Henry ad wright did.
I've noticed in the last 5 years Arsenal have been replaced and kids and people new to football in the areas are more likely to support Chelsea or Madrid or Barcelona. It's sad but logical. If you were a 15 year old growing up in Tottenham 20 years + ago you could go to the lane every home game for not much money. Nowadays a 15 year old living in N17 won't be able to afford it. You'll be able to see just as much of Real Madrid as you do of Spurs.

When I drive through Tottenham on non match days, it sends a shiver down my spine. Make no bones about it, its a total ****hole. Your mention of "smell of p***, takeaways and marijuana" sums it up perfectly.

We are of course all, hugely proud of our club which we love, but its "Tottenham" in name only. We have nothing to do with 90% of the population of Tottenham these days. Its so sad. It breaks my heart to see what its become.

It's no worse than places like Stevenage , Hoddesdon and **** me Cheshunt looks like a right dump when I drive through it!

There's more than meets the eye to these places, Tottenham is a poor area and so looks like a poor area would do but 99% of the residents are just decent people trying to survive like the rest of us.

To me Tottenham represents a part of North London that society has abandoned. Real ****holes like Dalston, Clapham, Stoke newington and Brixton have benefitted from investment but until the riot 3 years ago Tottenham is the land everybody forgot. Very sad

When I drive through Tottenham on non match days, it sends a shiver down my spine. Make no bones about it, its a total ****hole. Your mention of "smell of p***, takeaways and marijuana" sums it up perfectly.

We are of course all, hugely proud of our club which we love, but its "Tottenham" in name only. We have nothing to do with 90% of the population of Tottenham these days. Its so sad. It breaks my heart to see what its become.

What has it become? Also it's a big place, the area around seven sisters backs onto the Ida estates which is pretty poor. Further north it merges with Edmonton, also poor. Thinking of l'arsenanal, Holloway toad isn't up to much, nor is finsbury park. That's London, affluence and poverty less than a mile apart.

It's no worse than places like Stevenage , Hoddesdon and **** me Cheshunt looks like a right dump when I drive through it!

There's more than meets the eye to these places, Tottenham is a poor area and so looks like a poor area would do but 99% of the residents are just decent people trying to survive like the rest of us.

To me Tottenham represents a part of North London that society has abandoned. Real ****holes like Dalston, Clapham, Stoke newington and Brixton have benefitted from investment but until the riot 3 years ago Tottenham is the land everybody forgot. Very sad

Tottenham is such a safe Labour area that when they are in government they never spend any money on it because it is a safe seat. When the tories are in they never spend any money on it because they will never win there.

The tube line should have been extended 20 years ago, would have done so much for the area. The fact that it still has not been extended is pathetic. The talk of crossrail 2 stopping near by might help a little.

Talk amongst the hipster contingent is that Tottenham/Edmonton are next in line for a bit of gentrification. Good areas to buy into now apparently before it happens. Would take a hell of an effort in my opinion.

yeah i have noticed a few of my hipsterish type friends looking for places in seven sisters

Talk amongst the hipster contingent is that Tottenham/Edmonton are next in line for a bit of gentrification. Good areas to buy into now apparently before it happens. Would take a hell of an effort in my opinion.

About time. My road is an absolute mess.

Don't worry matey, you'll be up to your nuts in pop-up organic art exhibitions and Costa Coffees in no time ;)

Are you actually in Tottenham or the surrounding area, can't remember?

It's actually a road off of the road by the side of the Gilpin pub. Near Sainsburys actually classed as upper Edmonton.

Back