• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lessons learned for the season ahead (West Ham reflective)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gutter Boy

Tim Sherwood
- Poch's philosophy might take a bit longer to translate than some of us hoped

- Kaboul is finished at this level

- Pre-season performances mean nothing - Rose was torn a new one by Stuart Bloody Downing. Get Davies in asap

- Ade's not motivated

- We need Sandro alongside one of Capoue or Bentaleb (or ideally Schneiderlin)

- Chris Foy is so in the pockets of Asian betting rings he's being squashed by car keys

- Dier could be the signing of the season - looks a very accomplished (and versatile) player - great find Franco

- Pre-season performances mean nothing - Rose was torn a new one by Stuart Bloody Downing. Get Davies in asap

- Ade's not motivated

- Chris Foy is so in the pockets of Asian betting rings he's being squashed by car keys

- Dier could be the signing of the season - looks a very accomplished (and versatile) player - great find Franco

Besides generally being a bit harsh on Ade, why do you say that Sandro has to play with Capoue or Bentaleb. Thought they both did fantastically well in some awful circumstances.

Making judgements in the season during 30 minutes of 11 v 11 football in the first game of the season doesn't seem very helpful.

I was incredibly impressed by the fight and discipline of the side. The attackers will take a little bit of time to gel, that is normal in any season.

- Ade's not motivated

None of the above can possibly be concluded by one game.

I do believe that Kaboul is finished though, have done for a while.

Haven't seen the decision so won't comment yet on Foy!!

Lessons learned for the season ahead (Thread Reflective)

One game is not enough to draw any substantial conclusions.

Disagree with most of the OP.

I thought defensively, the whole team was bad in the first half, simply because they allowed West Ham to swing in crosses so easily. 2nd half, we collectively shut this down and they didn't have a sniff in attack after that, imo.

From that, I think we can assume that Poch is good at half-time instructions.

When it went 10 v 10, I thought we were much the better team.

Dier did well for his goal, but bothb he and Kaboul were shaky first half. The defence looked more solid when Capoue dropped back and Dier went to right back.

when it was 10 v 10, Bentaleb bossed it for me.

We battled today, rode our luck a little bit, but I thought it was an encouraging performance (2nd half) and an excellent result.

Besides generally being a bit harsh on Ade, why do you say that Sandro has to play with Capoue or Bentaleb. Thought they both did fantastically well in some awful circumstances.

Making judgements in the season during 30 minutes of 11 v 11 football in the first game of the season doesn't seem very helpful.

I was incredibly impressed by the fight and discipline of the side. The attackers will take a little bit of time to gel, that is normal in any season.

I just thought Capoue and Bentaleb were being overrun (before the sending off) and we needed some more intensity and combatativeness in there - breaking up West Ham's play. Capoue and Bentaleb were both very tidy, but we lacked a bit of bite against a physical team like that.

Agree about the discipline - our shape was better than it has been for a long time.

It will take time for the team and individuals to settle. Its a new team - Poch is not building on a foundation. Bar the keeper, Eriksen and maybe Ade the team have not been regular starters. So it will take time. Kaboul has always had slip ups in him. But don't write him off. He looked the best under HR. Maybe Poch can get the best out of him again.

I am surprised Gutter and no one else has mentioned Scoring Goals. A 20 year old CB was our saviour. On reflection, where will the goals come from? That is the biggest concern. The defence will tighten up. The team shape and closing down will improve. But who will be banging them goals in? Townsend/ Lamela/ Eriksen/ Ade you'd hope. None of them bar Eriksen have been slotting the ball home with any regularity. On reflection, that is the greatest concern for me.

Last edited:
The problem Poch has got is many of our players went to this years world cup, couple this with some pretty poor friendlies and he has ended up not that much wiser about who's who and formations and tactics.

And unfortunately he can also take very little from last season in the way of clues or a head start going into this season. Both AVB and Sherwood never looked like they were learning much as they were going along and never appeared to know who their best team was.

Admittedly i was none the wiser either!

Poch doesn't look the type to take punts or just keep his fingers crossed and hope for the best, i'm praying he knows his stuff and a few results like today will give him time (im prepared to give him 2 seasons min regardless of what happens) and also bolster confidence as hopefully his tactics/system falls into place. COYS

Lessons learned for the season ahead (Thread Reflective)

One game is not enough to draw any substantial conclusions.

There was a 68 page thread on the pre-season matches, and they are the most un-revealing, un-significant things in the world. There's an awful lot more substance to go on from 90 competitive minutes.

I just thought Capoue and Bentaleb were being overrun (before the sending off) and we needed some more intensity and combatativeness in there - breaking up West Ham's play. Capoue and Bentaleb were both very tidy, but we lacked a bit of bite against a physical team like that.

Agree about the discipline - our shape was better than it has been for a long time.

They weren't though. West Ham were pinning us back with direct play that was bypassing the both of them.

It will take time for the team and individuals to settle. Its a new team - Poch is not building on a foundation. Bar the keeper, Eriksen and maybe Ade the team have not been regular starters. So it will take time. Kaboul has always had slip ups in him. But don't write him off. He looked the best under HR. Maybe Poch can get the best out of him again.

I am surprised Gutter and no one else has mentioned Scoring Goals. A 20 year old CB was our saviour. On reflection, where will the goals come from? That is the biggest concern. The defence will tighten up. The team shape and closing down will improve. But who will be banging them goals in? Townsend/ Lamela/ Eriksen/ Ade you'd hope. None of them bar Eriksen have been slotting the ball home with any regularity. On reflection, that is the greatest concern for me.

This. You've never really felt we've got goals in us since the days of Keane and Berbatov. Since then it's just been bits and pieces, Bale specials or a day when Ade actually fancies it.

-

ive heard that this was totally a Broomfield recommendation.

looking good so far

I alwaysss worry about defense ... everything else comes after for me. So keeping a clean sheet, scoring, winning - just a fab order of things.

It's just one game, but after last season's travesty not once, but 3 times - to get that all disspelled in one game ? Fab. But Poche has hard work ahead, and everyone'll need to chip in to make this a memorable season, for the right reasons.

Where have you heard this? And why would Liverpool's reserve team manager be recommending players to us?

??????? since when was Broomfield liverpool's reserve team manager?

??????? since when was Broomfield liverpool's reserve team manager?
Right you are. Made a **** of myself there.

So where are you hearing that he is Bromfield's recommendation? As an England U21 player, there can't have been a scout in the country who wasn't aware of him.

IMO, as soon as we went down to ten men, the game became more about the defenders. Really, the jobs of our forward players immediately changed. Not too many teams are going to play attacking, free flowing football with 10 men for 60+ minutes away against a team as physical as West Ham. I don't think we can rush to judgement of our attackers based on this match alone.

And while Dier finished the move, lets not forget that Kane put it on a plate for him and that Townsend had some decent attempts on goal. It was a bit unlucky for Lamela to be subbed off just before Collins got sent off b/c he did a lot of good work in a very difficult situation. If Erkisen and Lamela stay for and on form, they could both easily have 8-12 goals. That said, I still think we could do with an improvement at LWF.

At the end of the day, We could have fallen apart, but our defense held firm. Lets play some better stuff next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back