• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

John Stones

Grays_1890

Chris Jones
I know this guy has been subject to alot of comments but he is a constant niggle for me.

Does this guy prove that I know nothing about football and he is a great in the making or is he what I think I see and this overrated guy who can not defend for his life?

I think Pep has chopped and changed his back 4 so much no one has any idea if he's the real deal yet or not. I haven't personally been that impressed either but what do I know!
Seems like Pep isn't really happy with any of defenders the way he keeps changing it up.
There's also something fishy about the way Kompany has constantly picked up strange injuries that stopped him coming back. I read some article about Pep thinking he's not as good on the ball as he would like.

I read some article about Pep thinking he's not as good on the ball as he would like.

I think that is eventually going to be Peps undoing, Bravo is a failed experiment and his Emirates Marketing Project Pique (Stones) will also be his undoing if he things in England its a cut and paste job.

I know this guy has been subject to alot of comments but he is a constant niggle for me.

Does this guy prove that I know nothing about football and he is a great in the making or is he what I think I see and this overrated guy who can not defend for his life?

He is brick and always has been

He can't pass as well as people think and his decision making is woeful.

Positives are he is reasonably quick and has a good physique for a defender

Hyped beyond belief as he is English a defender and can pass 5 yards

I have regular camera work at The Premier League Channel, to a man each ex-pro who discusses Stones says he is special and will end up being one of the worlds best defenders.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

The British ex-pros on TV last night pinpointed his partner Otamendi as calamitous, going to ground, unaware, not keeping a good line, diving in, woeful, so Stones looks all at sea and would look brilliant next to a proper defender.

He reminds me of Rio at West Ham and Leeds - he was a liability trying to dribble out of defence and be a playmaker and getting caught out - I couldn't believe Leeds paid so much for him... then he became a superb defender.

The British ex-pros on TV last night pinpointed his partner Otamendi as calamitous, going to ground, unaware, not keeping a good line, diving in, woeful, so Stones looks all at sea and would look brilliant next to a proper defender.

He reminds me of Rio at West Ham and Leeds - he was a liability trying to dribble out of defence and be a playmaker and getting caught out - I couldn't believe Leeds paid so much for him... then he became a superb defender.

I think Ferdinand at Leeds was much better than Stones currently is. He was captain of Leeds at the same age Stones is now. Ferdinand was West Ham's player of the year at age 19 and he was more error prone then, so probably compares to Stones' current level.

So yeah, I think Ferdinand was much better than Stones at the same age and I think he had a higher level in him overall. I don't see Stones reaching those heights, I think he will be more of a Gary Cahill level defender if he improves his defensive game.

Stones is a very cultured, athletic defender, excellent on the ball, but still has loads to learn. His defensive radar needs to mature so I'm sure over time he'll eliminate the brainfarts. I don't doubt he will grow to become one of the best in the world.

I get this to a point, but good defenders still stand out in bad sides though do they not? He is 22 now so when does he lose the prospect tag and deliver?

Technically he is a highly gifted player, but his danger radar is seriously off beam. He seems to be very tardy in reacting to situations.
True, he seems an optimist. Defenders need to be pessimists i.e. what if he beats me, what if it deflects, what if the keeper doesn't get it first time, what if...

True, he seems an optimist. Defenders need to be pessimists i.e. what if he beats me, what if it deflects, what if the keeper doesn't get it first time, what if...
I think he'll get there over time. His mental game is clearly developing more slowly than the physical, but I think he'll be a lot better when older.

Otamendi is a liability, I cant believe how much he went for..... But this does not excuse Stones from his many C*ckups - did you see the Falcao goal, this was one on one defending and an example of (one of many) where he has no excuse.

I have regular camera work at The Premier League Channel, to a man each ex-pro who discusses Stones says he is special and will end up being one of the worlds best defenders.

And.... most ex pros have an opinion and a lot of the time their right ... and a lot of the time their wrong

He is currently special in that he plays defence but can't defend and has the awareness of a one eyed camel

And.... most ex pros have an opinion and a lot of the time their right ... and a lot of the time their wrong

He is currently special in that he plays defence but can't defend and has the awareness of a one eyed camel

Was just passing it on for discussion. I don't see it myself either. Just interesting that they all seem in agreement of this opinion.

Was just passing it on for discussion. I don't see it myself either. Just interesting that they all seem in agreement of this opinion.

Fair comment

I really don't value ex pros opinions highly as invariably they have been playing the game whilst under the guide of someone else and unless they have gone into coaching they won't have neccessraily seen players develop as much If that makes sense ?!?!

If some decent coaches came out and said things I tend to listen more

What I can't see with Stones is where he is going to learn the basics from? If he could defend you can develop the football side but he has such poor defensive technique he is IMO so far behind where he should be for his age

They probably read the same paper.

Back