• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

A Emirates Marketing Project's take on Spurs

Mulletperm

Mauricio Taricco
From The Fighting rooster

A Emirates Marketing Project fan’s view on Spurs

“Leicester City have likely secured the title this season, and good luck to them for fulfilling that fairy tale; they’ve proved that good old fashioned pragmatism and playing to your strengths rather than the obligatory ‘good’ football can neutralise financial supremacy, but ultimately they’ve overachieved and Spurs’ continued progress under Pocchettino will gradually peak and sustain, finally filling void left by the Ferguson-era United as English football’s next great dynasty.

The parallels between United in the early 90’s and the current Tottenham team are startling; intense, principled managers who’ve paid their dues and worked their way up the ladder, who’ve weaned the negative influences out of the club and established a young British core of the team who’re developing in sync, ala the class of ’92, alongside some shrewdly acquired foreign talent.

Both are built on solid defensive foundations and play with width and dynamism, constantly switching the play and firing crosses into the box until the opposition succumb to the pressure. Another common element is the adulation they receive from Sky; Chelsea, Woolwich and City have all managed to attain a degree of success during the Sky Sports era, but they’ve never really been as emphatically embraced by them in the way United were, and in my opinion the reason are obvious and fully justified.

Those clubs have all had an overly-cosmopolitan aura, and in the case of City and Chelsea a vulgar approach to buying the success with their benefactor’s wealth with little regard to the overall benefit to the English game; this Spurs team, like that United one, has an authentic Anglo-identity that is greatly benefiting the English game and providing opportunity to young domestic talent, while gradually establishing success built on solid foundations via hard work, shrewd transfer strategy and impeccable standards imposed by the managers. United’s demise means Sky need new poster boys to project, and humble starlets like Kane, Alli and Dier are the ideal candidates.

As a City fan back when we prided ourselves on being a ‘proper’ club, as well as an advocate of fundamental opportunity for English talent, it’s been hard to watch the transition into an embodiment of everything that’s wrong with modern football, and I’ve spent the past few years being told by the hypocritical macarons that most of our fans have become that selling ourselves to an Arab was ‘the only way’ we could compete with the established top 4.

We’ve also been constantly fed the nonsense argument that English players aren’t good enough in failed justification for the Anglo-apartheid at the club since the Hispanic colonisation in 2013, so I’ve been buzzing with what this Spurs team has been doing to disprove that idiotic misconception, even to the extent where I actually enjoyed you lot taking 6 points of us this season.

Moving forward, with the new stadium in the pipeline and the Nike investment in addition to the Champions League revenue, there is absolutely no reason for Pocchettino or any of the aforementioned uber-talents to leave; constant exposure to elite level football via International and European competition is going to facilitate their development into top-level footballers, and as a result see the club become a dominant force in English and even European football.

The similarities in style and standards between former Argentina teammates Pocchettino and Diego Simeone are glaringly obvious, and Spurs can easily embrace and emulate Atletico’s impact in the Champions League next season.

Guardiola is put on a pedal stool for his achievements at Barca, but he’s only ever inherited great players at clubs with a culture of winning; Pocchettino is Pep without the privileges. Would Guardiola have matched Pocchettino’s achievements with Espanyol, Southampton and the shambles of a Spurs squad he took over?

Success is relative, and the Argentinian’s work so far has been as good as anybody else’s in the same timescale.

From what little I’ve seen of Winks, Pritchard and Edwards, they have the talent to be integrated into the squad within the next few seasons and Pocchettino will inevitably do so, further strengthening that success-defining identity in the process; the key to completing the transition from very good team to winning team will be the quality and compatibility of the signings.

United needed a catalyst for their own transition in the early 90’s, a talisman to inspire and implement a winning mentality into a talented young team and they found it in Cantona; Ibrahimovic could be that player here.

He’s a perennial winner, who sets and demands from others the highest standards; Kane could attain career-defining advice and experience alongside such a player, taking his own career beyond even its current stratospheric potential. He’s got a few years left in him, wants a move to England and would destroy most Premier League defences.

PSG want Lloris and this summer would likely see his value peak given his age and the fact he’ll be a key figure for a France team that I expect to make a big impact at Euro 2016, so it’d be a good time to sell; Jack Butland’s career trajectory will see him as England’s number one by the 2018 World Cup, and he has all the credentials to be a Spurs player (i.e. young, English and superbly talented) as well as the physical stature to dominate the box better than Hugo. He’d realistically be available for half of what PSG would pay for Lloris as well.

When Bale was sold in 2013, I imagine the first option clause was nothing more than Levy being awkward and Real obliging to be polite, but given the bizarre change in the footballing landscape in England since then, and especially Spurs currently being the best placed team to dominate domestically as well as become perennial participants in the Champions League, the possibility of a Bale return is a valid one.

Regardless of what actually happens in the summer transfer-wise, you club is on the cusp of greatness and is without question the pride of English football.”

All fine until the Lloris nonsense. He's repeatedly insisted he won't move back to that league until the end of his career.

PSG are currently 30 points clear at the top of Ligue 1. That tells you everything you need to know about the state of that league

I checked out as soon as he suggested we'd be the new united, codswallop, that type of undisrupted organic growth is impossible in the modern game

All fine until the Lloris nonsense. He's repeatedly insisted he won't move back to that league until the end of his career.

PSG are currently 30 points clear at the top of Ligue 1. That tells you everything you need to know about the state of that league

Yes, selling Lloris and replacing him with Butland would be very, very strange considering everything he brings to the team. Lloris is the sort of player we would struggle to replace with anyone and goalkeepers are way to important to sell to strengthen other areas.

But I thought it was quite good of a City fan to say what he did.

EdIT: Also having read it closer I think we can rule out Zlatan ever coming here!

Good read, and an interesting point about Zlatan -- on the one hand supremely talented and a winner, but on the other a first class clown shoe with attitude issues. Maybe there are parallels with Cantona (also a clown shoe supreme), but I don't think the pro's outweigh the con's. The difference between now and 1992 is that young footballers grow up a lot quicker -- in this world of wall-to-wall media, they have to. And we have a very mature set of young players. I don't think we need a Cantona to push them on to greater heights.

And the stuff about selling Lloris. Nope. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and Hugo certainly ain't broke.

Part of me would still love to see Zlatan in a Spurs shirt scoring a 30-yard bicycle kick, deep into injury time, at the Emirates.

No mention of Manure's paltry fines for illegal payments to poach the young talent that served as its backbone.

We have more honour.

Proud to be Spurs, me!

I agree with everything that was written in that except the bit about Ibrahimovic and Lloris. The parallel with Cantona is a bit of a nonsense. Cantona had it all to prove when he joined United. Ibra has nothing to prove. Cantona had most of his career left, Ibra has a couple of years. Cantona had his best years at United, Ibra has had his.

United under Ferguson never bought true superstars. They made them.

Too early to say we're on the cusp of sustained greatness, in my opinion. If we can keep Poch at the club and all the players we currently have over the course of the next few years, then yes, we can start talking about building some sort of dynasty. Will Poch be swayed by the inevitable rumour mongering that's going to flare up this summer though? Will Alli? Will Kane? Alderweireld?

It's perhaps comforting to say no, but perhaps also paranoid to think that we will fall apart this summer, but it's absolutely critical now that we pin Poch down to a long-term contract and somehow manage to persuade him to stay here. I'm sure there's a lot of clubs that would want him in, and will have the financial muscles to tempt him, and along with it, tempt our current players to join him.

Hate to be the negative nancy, but the mill will inevtiably start to churn (as it already has) - time to make Poch put pen to paper!

Too early to say we're on the cusp of sustained greatness, in my opinion. If we can keep Poch at the club and all the players we currently have over the course of the next few years, then yes, we can start talking about building some sort of dynasty.

Keeping Poch is key. If we are to create a 'dynasty' or legacy, then it needs to be under a management team that is constant and that has a clear philosophy (and we all know Poch likes a philosophy!) and is built into the long term mindset and infrastructure of the club. Players come and go, but they can be replaced (some more easily than others -and I am certainly not advocating that I would want any of our current crop to leave us).
But if a manager goes, his team usually leave with him, and then we are just ripping it all up to start again. (Cue music).
So yes @Daisuk , we really need Poch to sign a new enhanced contract that keeps him happy to be here for the foreseeable future and hopefully beyond.

His conclusions are right, but more by luck than anything because the evidence he uses to support them are garbage. Spurs are sky's favs, should have stopped reading there.
Mind you pep on pedal stool (?) in stead of a pedal stool was worth a chuckle.

The parallels he draws regarding a core of young English players are correct but for me that is where the similarities begin and end. I can't ever see there being an extended period of dominance like Utd had. The game is awash with too much money now and a new team can be bought every other season.

We have however put in good foundations to compete at the sharp end for a few years at least and when the stadium revenue comes online we'll be starting in a good place. The usual contenders will be there or thereabouts I imagine but I don't see any one being that far ahead of the rest. There are no clear favourites any more and for that I'm glad. If there is no competition then there's no competition as far I'm concerned.

His conclusions are right, but more by luck than anything because the evidence he uses to support them are garbage. Spurs are sky's favs, should have stopped reading there.
Mind you pep on pedal stool (?) in stead of a pedal stool was worth a chuckle.

You might want to re-write that:D

A manc that speaks sense? They do exist? Remember that clam who went a bit mad on here what was his name? Not SWP he's ok who was the other manc prick who had a breakdown on here about 2 years ago??

Good read and I agree about Butland. We would be a good move for him but in around 3/4 years time ideally.

A manc that speaks sense? They do exist? Remember that clam who went a bit mad on here what was his name? Not SWP he's ok who was the other manc prick who had a breakdown on here about 2 years ago??

Good read and I agree about Butland. We would be a good move for him but in around 3/4 years time ideally.

I wanted Butland when he was at brum and think he would be great for us now

Don't get me wrong I don't want us to sell Hugo but Butland is going to be a hell of a keeper

I wanted Butland when he was at brum and think he would be great for us now

Don't get me wrong I don't want us to sell Hugo but Butland is going to be a hell of a keeper

I don't trust english goalkeepers, they can play one season and look like Buffon and the next one becomes nothing.

Back